Dying in hospital what happens if........

brianthainess

What happens if a 'Falang' dies in Hospital (or elsewhere) with no insurance, no money, bill unpaid, and no family or person of attorney to release the body.?

Also If there was a person with power of attorney, would they be responsible for the unpaid bill ? Asking for a friend.

Just now, tonray said:

Power of Attorney does not mean you automatically assume the decedent's liabilities upon death. In fact, upon death, the power of attorney relationship is likely terminated.

From my experience it is only someone with power of attorney, who can get the remains released for cremation, if no next of kin show up and so who would foot the bill for the release of remains?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

All mandates are terminated upon death.

The attorney would not be responsible for hospital bills.

A power of attorney is no longer valid after death. The only person permitted to act on behalf of an estate following a death is the personal representative or executor

There is no estate, no personal rep. or executor.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

If there are friends who wish to give a decent funeral and they agree to pay the hospital bill, I'm sure the hospital would be able to arrange release of the body. The relevant embassy would need to be informed too.

As you rightly say, the appropriate embassy would need to authorise release of the body.

I trust all is well in the UK?

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

My son thought the same.

He was 37 when he died.

Please think about your family and make a will.

I'm sorry to hear that about your son, that must've been terrible for you. I have a 33 yr old son. You're absolutely right, I need to make a will.

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

There is no estate, no personal rep. or executor.

I believe the usual procedure is the Consulate or Embassy  relevant to nationality is informed in an attempt to locate next of kin. In one case I know the Hospital would not release the body until payment  was made AND kept applying a daily mortuary charge. Sadly this guy had a Thai partner who was denied access to his bank funds which were adequate to  pay. Eventually  son from Europe came and sorted it.

Perhaps even for a solo individual a Thai registered Will would be helpful ? An Executor does not have to  next of  kin.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

From my experience it is only someone with power of attorney, who can get the remains released for cremation, if no next of kin show up and so who would foot the bill for the release of remains?  

"From my experience"

Did you die in the hospital?

• Haha 2

A friend of mine died a couple of years ago here in Phuket he had friends but no family, the hospital would not release the body until someone produced a death certificate from the embassy, that took weeks bye the way

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What happens if a 'Falang' dies in Hospital (or elsewhere) with no insurance, no money, bill unpaid, and no family or person of attorney to release the body.?

Also If there was a person with power of attorney, would they be responsible for the unpaid bill ? Asking for a friend.

A power of attorney controls the deceased's estate as per Will or other means.

They are not responsible for the deceased's debts.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

If there is no next of kin & no relatives (or none who will do anything)  & the said person is destitute the only way to release the body is through his or her Embassy.

Not unusual for a postmortum to be carried out first.

My friend in Phuket died under what they thought may have been suspicous  circumstances.

Took nearly 4 months to get the body for his send off

Friends should contact the Embassy for any simple funeral arrangements.

In Bangkok they usually use the small Klong Toey crematorium

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Tell the Doctor you want to donate your body to medical science they will be dismembering your body with in the hour and hopefully donating your good organs to someone in need of a transplant 

Have you ever looked into that? I gave it the 'once over' a few years and came up with a ton obstacles in my way. So much so that I didn't pursue it any further.

54 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Tell the Doctor you want to donate your body to medical science they will be dismembering your body with in the hour and hopefully donating your good organs to someone in need of a transplant 

Make a deal now, a Chinese Thai doctor will definitely find a buyer use for your organs.

• Haha 2

guy i knew in pats died in ICU multiple organ failure, drank himself to death hospital bill 280000b. 2016 No bill was paid after he came out the freezer put in a box then in a paupers grave for approx 1 year then exhumed and buiried at sea

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Don't shoot me down as I am not learned on this topic but isn't the executor of the will also responsible for covering debts from the estate. There is a call for debtors to claim payment on the deceased as part of finalizing the Estate?? You cant get blood from a stone so if there is no assets the debtors lose out. The Power of Attorney becomes null in-void upon death then the Executor of the will comes into play. 

Edited by Thaifish
  • Like 2