Dying in hospital what happens if........

brianthainess

On 8/13/2021 at 10:36 AM, brianthainess said:

So friends cannot arrange a decent cremation ?

Lomyai wood  burns very well...... highly sought after.    

edit:  ok,  sorry.    a nice gesture if you care to do so.  Just caring for someone when they are alive works for me.   But i guess it will look good if my GF  sheds a tear or two.    Other than that ..... i don't give a hoot

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's the hospital's problem, then, but, as his embassy would obviously be informed of his death, they'd step in to contact any family and liaise with the hospital.

and try to get family to pay any outstanding amount

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, ChipButty said:

A friend of mine died a couple of years ago here in Phuket he had friends but no family, the hospital would not release the body until someone produced a death certificate from the embassy, that took weeks bye the way

Very strange considering that when a foreigner dies here death certificates are issued by the Thai authorities, not embassies.  

Thai local authorities do need a Consular Letter from the embassy, though, before they release the body for burial, cremation or repatriation. The next of kin must provide proof they are related to the person that died and inform the embassy in writing who they have requested to make the arrangements. If someone other than the next of kin is making the arrangements, they need to provide a copy of their passport and Thai ID before the Consular Letter can be issued.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, crazykopite said:

Tell the Doctor you want to donate your body to medical science they will be dismembering your body with in the hour and hopefully donating your good organs to someone in need of a transplant 

That's what my friend in the USA did. He had substantial assets, but funeral expenses were avoided. 

On 8/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, hotchilli said:

I was assuming that the person given power of attorney in life, would continue in the capacity of executor of the Will as he/she has the control of finances?

"...he/she has the control of finances"

...only until the donor's death when all POAs terminate.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:43 PM, Tropicalevo said:

My son thought the same.

He was 37 when he died.

Please think about your family and make a will.

(Apologies - it is a morbid subject, but 100% we will all die.)

Sorry to hear that, no parent should have to bury their children.

Young males die young a lot more than they like to think! A friend was murdered in a robbery when he resisted, age 43. 

On 8/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, In Full Agreement said:
On 8/13/2021 at 9:06 PM, hotandsticky said:

I have seen it happen. Single Farang died at home close friends arranged collection of the body and a simple cremation. Embassy authorisation was required to move the body from the hospital.

There's always an exception to any rule but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

"There's always an exception to any rule but I certainly wouldn't count on it".

Note that "Embassy authorisation was required to move the body from the hospital", that should always be the case, legally, to ensure that only authorised persons do that.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

I’ve told my wife if I die grab the ATM card and withdraw everything but 50 baht immediately. Do not hesitate, do not pass go, before you get my death validated, get the money…..then call the authorities. 

That advice could get her into a lot of trouble, it's theft/fraud.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

I’ve told my wife if I die grab the ATM card and withdraw everything but 50 baht immediately. Do not hesitate, do not pass go, before you get my death validated, get the money…..then call the authorities. 

That would work for an account that can be accessed via ATM card.

Well, it wouldn't work legally!

• Like 2

You might want to make a video of that instruction and save it in three virtual places to protect your missus, because if I was a copper, it would look very suss to me, especially if your death was sudden or in any way unusual, ie not a long decline from disease. People make all sorts of lazy assumptions or don't think things thru when prepping for their departure, and one single omission in a will can lead to families being torn apart, and nobody but the lawyers benefitting.

32 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
43 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's the hospital's problem, then, but, as his embassy would obviously be informed of his death, they'd step in to contact any family and liaise with the hospital.

and try to get family to pay any outstanding amount

Of course, that's what I was saying.

1 minute ago, chalawaan said:

You might want to make a video of that instruction and save it in three virtual places to protect your missus, because if I was a copper, it would look very suss to me,

"You might want to make a video of that instruction"

That wouldn't make any difference, she has no authority to remove any funds, never mind empty his accounts, after his death even if that may have been what he wanted.   Accounts of deceased persons are frozen as soon as they die, any transactions after death are illegal until probate has been granted.

I cannot locate the poster who suggested donating a body to "science",

I can't speak for Thai procedures, but I do know that in the UK this has to be arranged by the deceased themselves, well in advance of death.

We thought it would be a cheap and easy way to dispose of a not particularly popular relative in bonnie Scotland, and we were advised that, unlike the bad old days, cadaver trafficking (including the hope that a worn out old organ is going to be much use to anyone) is not all that profitable these days. Teaching hospitals apparently have waiting lists even for people who just want a free funereal in exchange for being dissected like frogs. I would add that these institutions usually have a respectful service for the donors that the students who chop them up do attend.

9 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

That is correct NKM. Can't even get a Bereavement Payment for a widow.

Your comments suggest that you don't have funds for your extension....... so your estate would be negligible.

Can't even get a Bereavement Payment for a widow......And THAT is Disgusting !!!!

Your comments suggest that you don't have funds for your extension....... so your estate would be negligible.  You are Correct in your Assumption......That's Why there are Agents M8,I'm NOT the Only one I'll bet.....

My 77 year old friend -of many years-recently died . 29th June 2021 to be precise.The death took place a Pattay City Hospital.

He knew that he was going to die.

He contacted a friend who visited Thailand on a regular basis At the time this friend was  based in the UK

This friend knew a Thai lady.

His 800,000 visa money was transferred to this Thai lady.

This hospital has no facilities for the storage of bodies.

The body -with passport -was then  transferred to I believe is a mortuary.

The Thai lady contacted me. She described it as a Police Hospital

The British Embassy were contacted by Bangkok . The UK based consulate service then handled things.

The lady settled with his landlord and the condo. less than  20,000 Baht

The hospital bill was 323000 baht.

The lady ,as of 10 days ago,paid 20,000 Baht

I recently had email contact with his UK based daughter.

She was trying to sort out the funeral and the hospital bill.

She has no money.

AFAIK  the situation has not developed from there.

The only asset he had with title  was  a 15 year old motor scooter.

As an aside .He was in hospital for 7 nights. I am still curious how the hopital can spend 46000 Baht /day on a dying man.

He had many health problems.

Edited by Delight
spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, chalawaan said:

I cannot locate the poster who suggested donating a body to "science",

I can't speak for Thai procedures, but I do know that in the UK this has to be arranged by the deceased themselves, well in advance of death.

We thought it would be a cheap and easy wa  y to dispose of a not particularly popular relative in bonnie Scotland, and we were advised that, unlike the bad old days, cadaver trafficking (including the hope that a worn out old organ is going to be much use to anyone) is not all that profitable these days. Teaching hospitals apparently have waiting lists even for people who just want a free funereal in exchange for being dissected like frogs. I would add that these institutions usually have a respectful service for the donors that the students who chop them up do attend.

I understand some teaching institutions in the west, ask relatives to dispose of the remains following dissection or whatever service the deceased provided. This is because so many thought it was a cheap way out, but became expensive for the institution.

Of course if you know of a local "forensic farm" where deceased persons are left in the certain environments  for research. 

13 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

1. Can't even get a Bereavement Payment for a widow......And THAT is Disgusting !!!!

2. Your comments suggest that you don't have funds for your extension....... so your estate would be negligible.  You are Correct in your Assumption......That's Why there are Agents M8,I'm NOT the Only one I'll bet.....

1. Somewhat unfair; a change sneaked in with the Pensions Act.

2. Not the only one by a long chalk ????....no point in taking it with you...... corruption is why they have agents!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That advice could get her into a lot of trouble, it's theft/fraud.

But a common, practical solution for someone who is likely to be the ultimate beneficiary anyway. How do you think the Thais would handle it.

The only added advice is to stick within daily withdrawal limits and DON'T input a wrong PIN. 

If the banks adopted a policy of releasing funds (up to, say, 800k) on presentation of death certificate + marriage certificate and/or Will (as in, say, the UK) it would negate the need for the sometimes expensive probate procedures.