'We don't know if we'll survive': Thailand sex workers left struggling as COVID-19 lockdown drags on

webfact

42 minutes ago, rumak said:

If not,  maybe try advertising :   "Buy  one..... get one free "

Yes , maybe a stamp like I get at my coffee place . Buy a Capp. and get a stamp on your card , after 10 one is free , brilliant idea. Would apply to noms too.    I'll get me hat ...........raining , town flooded ,  Time to do summat , any damn thing , blasted weather , should have gone to Scotland.  Did I mention the rain ?

9 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

I don't see the problem. Everything is moving online anyway. 

Including prostitution. Just get the clients online. More money in your pockets. Less hassle. Improved schedule. 

Webcam with the suckers overseas. Have onlyfans. If these ex bar girls have some brains soon enough they will start making so much money they will giggle at their old workplace and salary. 

For many of them this will not be as easy as you seem to think. I suggest you change your tone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

Like quite a few Thai people they only  think about today and spend like no tomorrow

Same those in the Tourist industry ripping off people ie the Ski  boat scams ect 

Maybe in the coming years  they will think more wisely about their futures

And save for that rainy day????

This particular rainy day has lasted 18 months and counting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oldest profession in the world is prostitution, so the profession won't die out. The girls might have to change over to the cam and try Zoom sex or streaming sex or something for a while. In fact if they do that then they can reach a much broader audience than just the walk in clients. Strange world we live in these days, men in lockdown all over the world, probably just waiting for an opportunity to crank up the cam.

4 hours ago, Gold Star said:

As walking street gets demolished, and transformed into something else, Soi Buakhao and other areas will grow. It’s just a temporary setback. The girls and new girls will be back once restrictions are over, but the price gouging at the larger clubs will be less due to competition and lower rents paid as was on walking street. The big reset. 

buyers market

13 minutes ago, aussienam said:

"This makes me want to cry. This place used to generate income and build the future for so many people.”

Yeah .... from the dumb assed foreigner fools who threw cash at them like confetti and the multiple sponsors giving them monthly Western Union transfers for each manipulative vixen bar girl 555. 

Lots of greedy, self entitled little princesses running around from all the SIMPED and CUCKED customers. 

These girls can usually easily reset to their default lives back to the villages, farms, retail outlets and factories.  

Family support is usually always available with a roof over their head. 

It just means that their dreams of getting passive income streams from a few sponsors and spreading their legs inbetween for the 'hard' work are put on hold.  

I don't have sympathy for them.  They are prostitutes.  Been here long enough to listen to their antics. 

I look at all the hard working Thais who put in long hours, get paid modest salaries and don't screw over people.  I respect them.  

Walking street run by greedy owners ripping off people IMO.  Yawn.  

i always thought that they should unionize and save up for a rainy day and be provided with pensions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Not just bar girls, but HS grads who then didn't go to uni, jobless, nothing else to do. The wife hears they're TikTok-style messaging apps where they do livestreams and doods toss coins or whatever at them. Hey, if it's bringing in more money for the fam, more power to them. Much better than the young men who lay about, and other than yelling about whatever's going on in their online game, do absolutely nothing.

If you go to dating websites, half the Thai women there either want to sell their videos/pics or something "else", with most of those trying to get rich selling videos. (Even Tik Tok in Thailand is promoting itself showing uniformed Thai women, teasing to unbutton their uniform...)

10 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Well, if you had not been such a Cheap Charlie, her kid could have gone to Harvard....????????

Actually she found a real rich sponsor with Ferrari and all that. One day I saw her again, looking real nice, and she told me something like: I never thought you can have everything and be unhappy.

At least her son was in one of the best Bangkok schools.

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im sure lots of these bar girls would do well in 7/11 given their language skills and powers of negotiations but the requirements from 7/11  for a shop assistant is set to high for a bar girl, most of them

Filling shelves and mobbing the floor for a few hundred baht a night? They will rather starve to death...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually she found a real rich sponsor with Ferrari and all that. One day I saw her again, looking real nice, and she told me something like: I never thought you can have everything and be unhappy.

Always thought this song relevant to many parts of Thailand.....

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That might be BS on her part and a wind-up from your part....????????????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

If you go to dating websites, half the Thai women there either want to sell their videos/pics or something "else", with most of those trying to get rich selling videos. (Even Tik Tok in Thailand is promoting itself showing uniformed Thai women, teasing to unbutton their uniform...)

well, that does not suck

1 minute ago, chicowoodduck said:

That might be BS on her part and a wind-up from your part....????????????

I saw some pictures from the guy, the apartment, the son in school uniform, etc. It looked pretty impressive. But I didn't check if he actually owns a Ferrari. 

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Here's my report from the moo ban. Yes, the young ladies have been showing up at grandma and grandpa's here and there, with a noticeable difference between them. Some are obviously in a better mood than others. Those who managed to snag sponsors from when they were working, and those who didn't. I have a hard time finding sympathy for the latter. They had plenty of time to develop better social skills, attitudes, and definitely better English, instead of all that time on the barstool playing on their phones, gossiping, drinking. Now they stomp around the moo ban with a permanent scowl on their faces as they head to sell food by the road.

Online sales, indeed. Some girls we don't see come out until the afternoon. There's no clubs or bars to go to, so they're up late in their rooms doing something. Not just bar girls, but HS grads who then didn't go to uni, jobless, nothing else to do. The wife hears they're TikTok-style messaging apps where they do livestreams and doods toss coins or whatever at them. Hey, if it's bringing in more money for the fam, more power to them. Much better than the young men who lay about, and other than yelling about whatever's going on in their online game, do absolutely nothing.

Well said. Ironically women snubbed punters in the bar because they were too busy chatting online.  Getting some attention was nearly impossible.  I miss the bars, playing pool , the music and mastering esaan language.  When the bars open again …hope the buses  serve up humble pie to all

Edited by Bkktodd
Typo

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Who wrote that? Who has even suggested that? The article certainly didn't say it, nor anyone in the comments above yours. It's from a publication about Asia, reporting on the situation in an Asian country. What else do you expect from it? For them to write about the situation in Brazil?

Settle down ,

The tone and writing style is suggesting that she is hard done and/or it's a unique situation.  There are millions in thaialand and across the globe in far worse situations due to covid.  You won't see an article about someone having to pay tax , as everyone pays tax

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

"This makes me want to cry. This place used to generate income and build the future for so many people.”

Yeah .... from the dumb assed foreigner fools who threw cash at them like confetti and the multiple sponsors giving them monthly Western Union transfers for each manipulative vixen bar girl 555. 

Lots of greedy, self entitled little princesses running around from all the SIMPED and CUCKED customers. 

These girls can usually easily reset to their default lives back to the villages, farms, retail outlets and factories.  

Family support is usually always available with a roof over their head. 

It just means that their dreams of getting passive income streams from a few sponsors and spreading their legs inbetween for the 'hard' work are put on hold.  

I don't have sympathy for them.  They are prostitutes.  Been here long enough to listen to their antics. 

I look at all the hard working Thais who put in long hours, get paid modest salaries and don't screw over people.  I respect them.  

Walking street run by greedy owners ripping off people IMO.  Yawn.  

In the 22 years ive been living in Thailand im amazed at all the farangs who managed to meet their wives, live in caretakers in the village.  Noone ever admits they married a bar/gogo  girl… the hypocrisy is astounding .

• Like 1