'We don't know if we'll survive': Thailand sex workers left struggling as COVID-19 lockdown drags on

webfact

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

All it did was keep people in the sex trade.. it did not build any future for anyone.

I don't recall ever anyone building a 7+ bedrooms mansion with a king sized swimming pool, let alone build an empire or becoming the next Elon Musk or the next Jeff Bezos, by stuffing someone else's genitals in their face/in their private intimate parts for a decade or two, ever.

The sex trade as we softly like to call it on this forum is actually called "modern slavery", or "sexual exploitation" or "human trafficking" according to trustworthy World recognized charities/organizations such as (but not limited to), Unicef, Amnesty International, WHO, etc...

It is time users on this forum take those pink-rose tinted glasses off and start to call a spade, a spade.

Keeping people in the sex trade does NOT build any future for anyone.

Yes some punters might become faithful sponsors over the years after sending millions of baht over the years and yes the luckiest of these girls might be able to repay their families debts, repay their mortgages, acquire that fancy shiney car, some might even get married and have children with some of these girls, I'll give you that, but at the end of the day, keeping people engaged actively in the sex trade is morally and ethically wrong.

Thailand has been talking about "clearing" and "cleaning" it's image for years but has never got around to it, it is now better than never the perfect time or should I say; the perfect opportunity to do so.

Thailand has yet to reinvent itself and the sex workers have to enter the 21th century, which based on the clear shifting to provide such services through online, some readers might be inclined to think it is already happening anyway.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

I don't recall ever anyone building a 7+ bedrooms mansion with a king sized swimming pool, let alone build an empire or becoming the next Elon Musk or the next Jeff Bezos, by stuffing someone else's genitals in their face/in their private intimate parts for a decade or two, ever.

Allow me to introduce Peter Acworth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Acworth

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

"This makes me want to cry. This place used to generate income and build the future for so many people.”

Yeah .... from the dumb assed foreigner fools who threw cash at them like confetti and the multiple sponsors giving them monthly Western Union transfers for each manipulative vixen bar girl 555. 

Lots of greedy, self entitled little princesses running around from all the SIMPED and CUCKED customers. 

These girls can usually easily reset to their default lives back to the villages, farms, retail outlets and factories.  

Family support is usually always available with a roof over their head. 

It just means that their dreams of getting passive income streams from a few sponsors and spreading their legs inbetween for the 'hard' work are put on hold.  

I don't have sympathy for them.  They are prostitutes.  Been here long enough to listen to their antics. 

I look at all the hard working Thais who put in long hours, get paid modest salaries and don't screw over people.  I respect them.  

Walking street run by greedy owners ripping off people IMO.  Yawn.  

This. 3000%.

The question you should be asking yourselves are "Who are the real benefitors of prostitution, behind the scenes?".

Hint: It's not the girls that are into it and we are not allowed to make any references to him on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

"Jesse Jane Net Worth

in Richest Celebrities › Actors

Jesse Jane Net Worth:

$6 Million

Jesse Jane net worth and salary: Jesse Jane is a retired American adult film actress and model who has a net worth of $6 million."

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/jesse-jane-net-worth/

6 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

"Jesse Jane Net Worth

in Richest Celebrities › Actors

Jesse Jane Net Worth:

$6 Million

Jesse Jane net worth and salary: Jesse Jane is a retired American adult film actress and model who has a net worth of $6 million."

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/jesse-jane-net-worth/

Grasping at straws aren't we?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

As of 2021, Jenna Jameson’s net worth is $5 million.

Jenna Jameson is an American adult film actress

https://wealthygorilla.com/jenna-jameson-net-worth/

8 hours ago, nausea said:

I guess the real tragedy for these girls is the loss of prime income generating time. No doubt others will replace them if the scene should return, and income disparity in Thailand remain such as it is, but for them personally, they're lost years. As for online stuff replacing the scene, I don't see it. The Pattaya, Sukhumvit soi 4, soi Cowboy, Bangla, etc., "Hangover" style experience, was a  package, with partying and real personal contact being an essential part, for both the customers and the girls, giving your average western bloke and Thai girl a taste of the "playboy" lifestyle, usually reserved for the very rich or beautiful.

My few excursions into "the life", before marriage, 

were fun.

I always preferred viewing "merchandise" before purchase, though a good massage has been my usual transaction. I don't like unknown quantities about the jewels.

That said I understand how the loss of personal interaction can be a damper on both sides.

Edited by Kwaibill
Spelling
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

That's weird as I'd say > 80% of the guys I've met whilst living in Thailand (only 2 years fulltime so bow to your superior knowledge) are open & honest about meeting their partner in a bar... 

Out of curiosity did they explain why they married girls they met in that industry, or the attributes that they thought made their bargirl a good life partner?

Not even really judging. Just curious since the thought process is pretty hard for me to wrap my head around.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, nausea said:

I guess the real tragedy for these girls is the loss of prime income generating time. No doubt others will replace them if the scene should return, and income disparity in Thailand remain such as it is, but for them personally, they're lost years. As for online stuff replacing the scene, I don't see it. The Pattaya, Sukhumvit soi 4, soi Cowboy, Bangla, etc., "Hangover" style experience, was a  package, with partying and real personal contact being an essential part, for both the customers and the girls, giving your average western bloke and Thai girl a taste of the "playboy" lifestyle, usually reserved for the very rich or beautiful.

Agree. If I saw a BG I liked the look of I'd sit in a near by bar and observe them to see if they were worth investing my time and money with, before moving to their bar to interact with them personally. No way I'm going to risk it with someone faking it on line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Always thought this song relevant to many parts of Thailand.....

Just read the lyrics and have to agree with you 100% 

Another good one with regards to the entertainment scene would be Depeche Mode ‘Dream On’

Can you feel a little love? 

As your bony fingers close around me 
Long and spindly 
Death becomes me 
Heaven, can you see what I see?

Hey you pale and sickly child 
You're death and living reconciled 
Been walking home a crooked mile 

Paying debt to karma 
You party for a living 
What you take won't kill you 
But careful what you're giving 
Mmm

There's no time for hesitating 
Pain is ready, pain is waiting 
Primed to do its educating 

Unwanted, uninvited kin 
It creeps beneath your crawling skin 
It lives without, it lives within you 

Feel the fever coming 
You're shaking and twitching 
You can scratch all over 
But that won't stop you itching 

Dream on 
Dream on 

Mmm
Mmm

Blame it on your karmic curse 
Oh shame upon the universe 
It knows its lines 
It's well-rehearsed 

It sucked you in, it dragged you down 
To where there is no hallowed ground 
Where holiness is never found 

Paying debt to karma 
You party for a living 

Dream on 
Dream on

Dream on 
Dream on

Dream on 
Dream on

Dream on 
Dream on

• Like 1

Just now, The Cipher said:

Out of curiosity did they explain why they married girls they met in that industry, or the attributes that they thought made their bargirl a good life partner?

Not even really judging. Just curious since the thought process is pretty hard for me to wrap my head around.

I guess it's because it's easier to meet girls in bars (as it is in the UK).

Full disclousure, when I moved to Thailand, I'd spent 12 years working in Singapore (11 of which I'd been visiting Thailand several times a year, last 2 of which I had a Condo in Bangkok so would visit every other weekend) & I said to myself that I wouldn't move here & meet a girl in a bar, so I met one (selling cosmetics) in a shopping mall.

Can guarantee that it's cost me more money (we/she has bought some land) than most of the guys I know & for sure a lot of the guys have a much hotter partner, but (so far) we're all happy so it's all good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanaSomchai said:

The sex trade as we softly like to call it on this forum is actually called "modern slavery", or "sexual exploitation" or "human trafficking" according to trustworthy World recognized charities/organizations such as (but not limited to), Unicef, Amnesty International, WHO, etc...

:cheesy:

Staffed by bureaucrats that make a very good living by exploiting the exploited to get other people to give them money. They may be world recognised, but "trustworthy"...............................?

I've never seen them rescue the destitute cripples begging on Bkk streets. Those are real victims of exploitation, unlike women that CHOOSE to rent their intimate body parts for money in Pattaya, and can walk away any time they want to.

I guess it's more woke to try and "rescue" women that chose to be prostitutes than it is to help those that really need help.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

most of the girls i've encountered spend the money on iphones, gold and lottery tickets, rather than save/send money home 

they're probably depressed because they can't buy these items anymore

Some might argue that those who purchased iphones were savvy investing in infrastructure to make money down the line eg livestreams/keeping in contact with potential sponsors and all the other benefits a mobile phone offers. Gold also favoured by those looking to diversify their assets, and it also stops them frittering/wasting their cash.....................  lottery tickets..........nothing wrong with an occasional flutter, but as Mr. Sneer highlights, we all know that's not the case ....................

11 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Just read the lyrics and have to agree with you 100% 

Another good one with regards to the entertainment scene would be Depeche Mode ‘Dream On’

As your bony fingers close around me 
Long and spindly 
Death becomes me 
Heaven, can you see what I see?

Hey you pale and sickly child 
You're death and living reconciled 
Been walking home a crooked mile 

Paying debt to karma 
You party for a living 
Mmm

There's no time for hesitating 
Pain is ready, pain is waiting 
Primed to do its educating 

Unwanted, uninvited kin 
It creeps beneath your crawling skin 
It lives without, it lives within you 

Feel the fever coming 
You're shaking and twitching 
You can scratch all over 
But that won't stop you itching 

Dream on 
Dream on 

Mmm
Mmm

Blame it on your karmic curse 
Oh shame upon the universe 
It knows its lines 
It's well-rehearsed 

It sucked you in, it dragged you down 
To where there is no hallowed ground 
Where holiness is never found 

Paying debt to karma 
You party for a living 

Dream on 
Dream on

Dream on 
Dream on

Dream on 
Dream on

Dream on 
Dream on

I think there is something profound in that song, but blowed if I can work out what. Perhaps you can explain it for me ( ?us ).

19 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

People who hang out in bars tend to meet girls who work in, or frequent, bars.  It's not difficult to understand.  These days I would think marrying girls that people have "met" online is replacing the bars, certainly in the current Covid situation.

• Like 2