American Citizen Services confirms they will not assist Americans seeking vaccines in Thailand

macnmotion

...  live in a location requiring proof of a US recognized vaccination for entry into businesses, 

Where is this requirement in effect?

I just looked at a couple of state vaccine passport card requirements.   My impression is that anybody vaxed out of state or country must have a local healthcare provider verify the vaccination.  No special requirements for US or CDC vaccine approval.   

You are in the same position as many Europeans who have gotten AstraZeneca -- also approved by the WHO (like Sinovac) but not the CDC -- who will need to have their foreign record checked by a local provider, even if they got Pfizer shots. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, TheCowboy said:

I just looked at a couple of state vaccine passport card requirements.   My impression is that anybody vaxed out of state or country must have a local healthcare provider verify the vaccination.  No special requirements for US or CDC vaccine approval.   

You are in the same position as many Europeans who have gotten AstraZeneca -- also approved by the WHO (like Sinovac) but not the CDC -- who will need to have their foreign record checked by a local provider, even if they got Pfizer shots. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/04/nyc-to-require-vaccination-proof-for-restaurants-gyms-indoor-venues.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheCowboy said:

And the requirement will spread. Here is another example: https://www.raiders.com/news/las-vegas-raiders-to-require-proof-of-covid-19-vaccination-for-raiders-games-at-

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-to-show-proof-of-vaccination-new-york-city-5196619 

which says:

• You can show your paper COVID-19 vaccination card or use the official apps to enter indoor venues like restaurants, bars, and movie theaters in New York City.
  • The New York State Excelsior Pass only works for those who have been vaccinated in the state. Out-of-state visitors will have to opt for the city's NYC COVID Safe app.
  • For international visitors, all WHO-authorized vaccines are acceptable, according to the NYC mayor's press office.

Regarding the NFL, I suspect that if they have a way to let unvaccinated QBs (like Lamar Jackson, who is the Ravens starter against the Raiders) into the stadium, there will be an arrangement that lets their app verify overseas WHO-authorized vaccines.  

Edited by TheCowboy
fixed layout

7 minutes ago, TheCowboy said:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-to-show-proof-of-vaccination-new-york-city-5196619 

which says:

• You can show your paper COVID-19 vaccination card or use the official apps to enter indoor venues like restaurants, bars, and movie theaters in New York City.
  • The New York State Excelsior Pass only works for those who have been vaccinated in the state. Out-of-state visitors will have to opt for the city's NYC COVID Safe app.
  • For international visitors, all WHO-authorized vaccines are acceptable, according to the NYC mayor's press office.

Regarding the NFL, I suspect that if they have a way to let unvaccinated QBs (like Lamar Jackson, who is the Ravens starter against the Raiders) into the stadium, there will be an arrangement that lets their app verify overseas WHO-authorized vaccines.  

I hope this is the way it goes. In any case, my preference is not to take a chance that for 2 or 3 weeks of a month trip home I cannot go anywhere while I'm vaccinated there. ????

14 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

Seeing how the US government handled the exit from Afghanistan I'm not sure I'd want or expect their help for anything.

Why not try for Pfizer at Medpark?  At some point they will finish vaccinating people who are 60+ or have one or more at-risk conditions and start vaccinating younger people.  When I registered I was allowed to choose Sinoxxx, AZ or Pfizer.  They may still offer the same choice for younger patients as the Pfizer shots continue to roll in.

I'd also enquire at the hospitals scheduled to receive Moderna as there will likely be slots opening up from those who signed up but were able to score Pfizer shots sooner.

Thanks. I have prepurchased Moderna that I will use if I am unsuccessful being vaccinated beforehand. I'm guessing that by the time Medpark provides vaccines to me (under 60, no medical conditions) the Moderna will already be here. 

I realize it's a hard pill to swallow but white wealthy expat Americans are being treated as second class. It does have a major upside thay will not need a mandatory critical race theory attitude adjustment cert to re enter, the fact that embassies and other tax funded agents have no interets compassion or care for their fellow citizens is teh new norm.

Sauve qui peut!

• Thanks 2

Difficult situation, under 60, healthy. Well, I mean being young and healthy aren't difficult of course. Just means you're quite down on the priority list. Could probably get SV, SPh, maybe AZ. You employer should have something arranged?

The only possibility would have been to make a Moderna reservation a few months ago. That first tranche is confirmed for October, with hospitals setting up appointments as of tomorrow (for October). You could look for a resale on that; some took Pfizer already and are offering their Moderna rez.

Second tranches of Moderna are just going on sale now, due Q12022.

More Pfizer and Moderna are said to be on order, for what that's worth, but your options may be limited. Is returning to the U.S. a possibility? 

There are various advocacy groups working this issue, Democrats Abroad for one have been active trying to get vaccines for Americans here. @DemsAbroadThai on Twitter.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Difficult situation, under 60, healthy. Well, I mean being young and healthy aren't difficult of course. Just means you're quite down on the priority list. Could probably get SV, SPh, maybe AZ. You employer should have something arranged?

The only possibility would have been to make a Moderna reservation a few months ago. That first tranche is confirmed for October, with hospitals setting up appointments as of tomorrow (for October). You could look for a resale on that; some took Pfizer already and are offering their Moderna rez.

Second tranches of Moderna are just going on sale now, due Q12022.

More Pfizer and Moderna are said to be on order, for what that's worth, but your options may be limited. Is returning to the U.S. a possibility? 

There are various advocacy groups working this issue, Democrats Abroad for one have been active trying to get vaccines for Americans here. @DemsAbroadThai on Twitter.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I have a reservation for an October Moderna vaccine. If I have to wait for that I will. When I say I'm under the 60 year old threshold, I'm one year under. Yes I'm healthy, but an essentially arbitrary number leaves me unprotected. I have a small company here, and my staff didn't register us for vaccines under the social security scheme. In fact I knew nothing about that (my fault) until just recently. I had originally planned to return to the US in July to visit family and get vaccinated but an emergency here has kept me in-country. However, I really shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on airfare and ASQ upon my return, spending weeks in quarantine, to receive a vaccination. I appreciate the info about Democrats Abroad, I will look them up. Have a nice evening.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macnmotion said:

Funds for the vaccines that went to the Embassy came from public funds, not some private employer funds.

Different budgets I would expect.  The State Department Budget (for running Embassies and whatever else they do) could not be expected to be spent on vaccinating American expats overseas.

Whatever budget is being allocated for vaccinations it has been decided they will be administered in a certain manner which excludes expats.  It's the same for almost everyone and seems fair enough.

Expats gave up access to medical treatment at home when they decided to move abroad.  The pandemic was obviously unexpected, but so usually is a heart attack or whatever that you wouldn't expect any US goverment supplied health care to pay for.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, macnmotion said:

Well we will just have to disagree on this.

Indeed.

I'm actually surprised at Americans making an issue of this when I believe health care is predominately privately sourced there, as opposed to the UK with its government taxpayer funded NHS.  I don't believe the UK government should supply overseas health care, so it would make no sense (to me) that the US government would do so with it's totally different healthcare infrastructure.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheCowboy said:

Taxpaying US citizen here. 

Although the Embassy response to citizen concerns has been atrocious, it still seems perfectly reasonable to vaccinate US gov staff, including Embassy and JUSMAAGTHAI (and other military and gov research personnel) here.  They are a tiny number compared to the expat population, and may, sooner or later, provide essential services to us.   Treating them doesn't undermine the general principle that we're responsible for our own healthcare when we're overseas.  

And I am quite proud that US policy has supported allocating a portion -- 150,000 -- of our donated vaccines to all expats in greatest need, regardless of nationality -- those over 60, pregnant, or with one of the listed health issues -- rather than being reserved for younger US nationals at much lower risk.  And who can greatly mitigate (although not completely eliminate) that risk with readily available Sinovac right now.   

I'd also point out that US expats under 60 are more likely to be working, and thus more likely to benefit from the expat taxable income exclusion, which is $107,600 for 2020, in addition to avoiding state tax liability as non-residents.  The exclusion is partly based on the assumption that expats will make fewer calls on US services, independent of tax obligations in their countries of residence.  It seems to me that the expectation of automatically being provided with a particular vaccine because Americans who live in the USA can get it is one of these.  

Finally, I'm writing this less in response to the OP than to non-American lurkers on this thread, just to make the point that while we red-blooded Murkins might not agree with particular officials or specific policies, we can also cool our jets (i.e. flame off) and appreciate the larger picture.   And to suggest to my compatriots that members of Congress -- in particular, Tammy Duckworth, although I'm sure there are others -- should be thanked for what they are accomplishing in getting vaccines to Thailand, rather than blamed for what they are not. 

The problem with the general principle that we are responsible for our own healthcare once we leave America is that this isn't business as usual. This is a once in a hundred years global pandemic, and we unfortunately happen to be in a country woefully unprepared to provide us with the tools to provide for our own health care. This isn't a flu shot we need, this is a vaccine that just isn't being made available to all Americans here. I know of one American who is dead here from COVID. It may be more.

Look, I'm sure there are many Americans here willing to be more patient than me. I'm sure there are those who don't agree with me that embassy employees are not at any special risk that public funds should provide them vaccines but deny them to others. I feel strongly about this issue and will continue to pursue policy changes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, macnmotion said:

I have a reservation for an October Moderna vaccine.

Good info to share upfront.

OK, then I wouldn't waste any more time trying to beat a vaccine out Uncle Sam.

You'll probably have an appointment (SMS from hospital advising you of your first appointment in October) for Moderna by tomorrow.

More often than not, the squeaky wheel is ignored.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Good info to share upfront.

I shared that information earlier in the thread, but as it's a long thread I'm sure many didn't see it.

I agree, I'm not trying to get a vaccine from the US Government at this point. However, I am continuing to pursue oversight of US policy where some US citizens overseas are worthy of a vaccine with public money while many more are not. It's a policy I don't agree with, and because of that I'm working through my representative to question it. In my opinion there are many Americans here in much greater need of vaccines due to age and medical condition than some embassy workers.

Edited by macnmotion
  • Like 1