American Citizen Services confirms they will not assist Americans seeking vaccines in Thailand

macnmotion

13 hours ago, The Theory said:

Perhaps there are some exceptions, but not many. 

America's a very heterogeneous country, probably the most heterogeneous on the planet, (not counting the EU as a country).  When I moved from my native New York City to the California SF Bay Area I felt like I had moved to a different country.  The cultural differences from state to state are often enormous.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And yet many expats have received Pfizer vaccines under the RTG commitments the ACS Press release refers to.

Many expats? Perspective I guess. Americans? Maybe a few living near Bangkok. Maybe.

You didn't really respond to my primary  comment. Specifically your speculation about an unverified agreement with the USA. I will take that as a tacit acknowledgement of wish thinking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

FYI - this thread is about ACS's indifference to the difficulties that Americans (and other foreigners) in Thailand in getting vaccinated.  Not about their donation of vaccines.  Difficulties arising from incompetence and/or corruption by the Thai government.  As we've seen from so many news reports the donated vaccines haven't always been going to where they've been promised to go.  France, China and allegedly Japan have arranged for their citizens to be vaccinated.  The US should have done the same in addition to getting a promise that may be worthless from the Thai government to set aside a portion for foreigners. Outside its borders the US's consideration of foreigners and expats (like me) is often callous to put it mildly.

Nothing to do with Afghanistan exit. Americans whine so much and expect the govt to  cater to them. 

On 8/17/2021 at 12:34 PM, macnmotion said:

Thanks for your advice but the only website I qualify on as an American, under 60 without one of 7 underlying conditions just assigned me Sinovac. And for the record, not that it makes any difference, I'm a registered democrat as is my representative. Oversight is oversight -- it's not a political agenda. And are you suggesting that agreements may have been made prior to delivery that assured Americans would receive Sinovac as their vaccine? This, while back office workers at a major Bangkok hospital who work in a different building were given Pfizer as a booster dose (I work directly with the hospital and know this for a fact)?

I'm more than happy to set in motion oversight in plain sight. 

I am a UK national resident in Thailand 10 years, 72 with 1 underlying  and cant get past first base.

5 hours ago, oslooskar said:

Yes, one last question. Why did you thank everybody for the Pfizer vaccine except the Turkish scientists who developed it?

I didn’t thank everyone, far from it.

But thank you for reminding me of two shining examples of immigrants who are a boon to their new country and indeed to the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Many expats? Perspective I guess. Americans? Maybe a few living near Bangkok. Maybe.

You didn't really respond to my primary  comment. Specifically your speculation about an unverified agreement with the USA. I will take that as a tacit acknowledgement of wish thinking.

I’ve stated the basis of my thoughts on the matter, the ACS press release dated at the time of the delivery in which references to the commitments made by the RTG to provide vaccines to all Thailand’s residents.

Unless you believe the RTG suddenly had an attack of unsolicited goodwill towards foreigners at the expense of Thais.

Lowell why not, some folk believe all sorts or remarkably unlikely stuff.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’ve stated the basis of my thoughts on the matter, the ACS press release dated at the time of the delivery in which references to the commitments made by the RTG to provide vaccines to all Thailand’s residents.

Unless you believe the RTG suddenly had an attack of unsolicited goodwill towards foreigners at the expense of Thais.

Lowell why not, some folk believe all sorts or remarkably unlikely stuff.

You got the last part right.

"The primary purpose of an embassy is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in the host country." 

The above is from a US govt state diplomacy website; "primary purpose" being the operative phrase.

I've never had very good luck dealing with the US embassy in Bangkok (US citizen services). My opinion is; the US embassy in Bangkok's primary purpose is to give out visas to Thai citizens, Americans are secondary on their list. I live in Thailand full time and still pay US tax also, so am sympathetic to your situation.

They seem to have forgotten where their salaries come from.

• Like 1