American Citizen Services confirms they will not assist Americans seeking vaccines in Thailand

macnmotion

41 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Biden seems to have managed to get the delivery address right, and for those of us who have received our Pfizer shot with the second scheduled, he’s definitely looked after us.

Thank you Joe.

That's the problem with most Americans, not only you. 
"I got what I needed, perfect. Others can go to hell." 

Edited by The Theory
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, macnmotion said:

I'm under 60 with no underlying conditions. Medpark will not vaccinate me, I'm not months out of date. And yes I can enter the USA and get vaccinated but until I'm vaccinated I'm not going anywhere my 86 year old mother. Pretty much makes such a trip pointless. Thanks though. 

I think you might just want to slow down I'm not trying to add to your stress but go back to your original long post and see if you originally provided any of that information A. you not being over 60 B. my 86 year old mother people can only respond or help if they get as much information as possible is there anymore you not telling? 

Is your mother here in Thailand and is she in good health to travel?  If she is a American citizen you can register her at Medpark for the vaccine for PFizer. she certainly qualifies. There does seem to be a choice but your not willing to make it that isn't the ACS people fault ( can't believe I'm defending them ) your refusal to travel until you are vaccinated is a personal choice!

Maybe you are missing some of the science?  people who have been vaccinated with Pfizer and Moderna still have the ability of getting infected these cases are known as " breakout "  I see options like you obtaining the Sinovac or AZ as they say something is better than nothing AZ is being offered for free but since you don't plan to go anywhere?  you are dead set in the ACS helping when you need to help yourself.

Your last choice is to wait until more vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna arrives and they lower the standard from reports the wait can be a few months. Medpark is also taking registration for the Moderna but you need to put down a deposit of 3300 baht for both doses. As they say here in Thailand " up to you "  a reminder if you watching the news the U.S. can't even get their citizens out of Afghanistan yet you think ACS is going to get your a vaccine?  They said it months ago they weren't!  Good luck and bless you for watching over your mother.  My mother passed away back home she was 103 I wasn't able to attend due to the virus.

Edited by thailand49

4 minutes ago, The Theory said:

That's the problem with all Americans, not only you. 
"I got what I needed, perfect. Others can go to hell." 

That’s a very oddly certain statement, given the fact I’ve put a great deal of time and effort into encouraging and helping other expats (regardless of them bring Americans or not) register for their vaccine here in Thailand.

But then I see you are partial to gross generalizations so I’ll mark that up accordingly.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s a very oddly certain statement, given the fact I’ve put a great deal of time and effort into encouraging and helping other expats (regardless of them bring Americans or not) register for their vaccine here in Thailand.

But then I see you are partial to gross generalizations so I’ll mark that up accordingly.

Perhaps there are some exceptions, but not many. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Before I sign out WHERE THE <deleted> ARE YOU FROM AND WHAT HAS YOUR COUNTRY DONE!????

East LA 

don't you love it ?  ????

Perhaps you need to sign back in. They will need you soon. 

Edited by The Theory

2 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Get real here..You left your own country for greener pastures, so why should the US Govt give you preferential treatment over people still at home. 

That's a straw man argument that is completely irrelevant because no one is asking for "preferential" treatment.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, The Theory said:

East LA 

don't you love it ?  ????

Perhaps you need to sign back in. They will need you soon. 

East LA,  I will sign back into the discussion specifically!  That explains it even more  I could say like many " go back to where you came from  "  But I won't for many reasons you can't even see you just stuff a bag of <deleted> in your own mouth! 

"ALL AMERICANS "  unless you just crossed the border lately I guess it doesn't dawn on you the label doesn't include you?

East L.A. that kind of explains it but of course I'm not going to ignorant generalize ALL East L.A. think so lowly of themselves like you! ????

Edited by thailand49

18 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

But I won't for many reasons you can't even see you just stuff a bag of <deleted> in your own mouth! 

"ALL AMERICANS "  unless you just crossed the border lately I guess it doesn't dawn on you the label doesn't include you?

East L.A. that kind of explains it but of course I'm not going to ignorant generalize ALL East L.A. think so lowly of themselves like you!

This explains that who you really are. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I think you might just want to slow down I'm not trying to add to your stress but go back to your original long post and see if you originally provided any of that information A. you not being over 60 B. my 86 year old mother people can only respond or help if they get as much information as possible is there anymore you not telling? 

Is your mother here in Thailand and is she in good health to travel?  If she is a American citizen you can register her at Medpark for the vaccine for PFizer. she certainly qualifies. There does seem to be a choice but your not willing to make it that isn't the ACS people fault ( can't believe I'm defending them ) your refusal to travel until you are vaccinated is a personal choice!

Maybe you are missing some of the science?  people who have been vaccinated with Pfizer and Moderna still have the ability of getting infected these cases are known as " breakout "  I see options like you obtaining the Sinovac or AZ as they say something is better than nothing AZ is being offered for free but since you don't plan to go anywhere?  you are dead set in the ACS helping when you need to help yourself.

Your last choice is to wait until more vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna arrives and they lower the standard from reports the wait can be a few months. Medpark is also taking registration for the Moderna but you need to put down a deposit of 3300 baht for both doses. As they say here in Thailand " up to you "  a reminder if you watching the news the U.S. can't even get their citizens out of Afghanistan yet you think ACS is going to get your a vaccine?  They said it months ago they weren't!  Good luck and bless you for watching over your mother.  My mother passed away back home she was 103 I wasn't able to attend due to the virus.

It's a long thread and I've put most information in the discussion as it came up. I cannot go back to edit my original post with all that additional info. In short:

I'm under 60. No medical conditions. I work here and have a family, so going to the USA to get vaccinated is a major time undertaking considering quarantines and time between injections. If I went to the US to visit family, including my mother, without having been vaccinated I would self quarantine for 10-14 days even as I would get a first dose on my first day back. I have a very clear understanding of the disease, the vaccines, breakthrough infections, etc. While everyone in my family has been vaccinated I will not put them at an unnecessary extra risk of a breakthrough infection before I am vaccinated (or until I am done with self quarantine), especially after 30 hours of travel being around a lot of people. And since it has now been 2 years since I've been home to visit, my preference would be to be fully vaccinated before I go so that my limited time home would be spent with family, not in isolation. I have prepaid for Moderna at 2 hospitals, and can take that if I am not vaccinated before October (if they truly come in October). The reason for my initial post was partially to vent, and partially to raise awareness among Americans as to options for making change. In June, 25 US Senators sent a bipartisan letter to Secretary of State Blinken asking him to commit to vaccinating American citizens overseas. Chris Murphy, one of the authors of that letter, has also introduced legislation concerning this. My desire for my government to help their citizens overseas isn't the lone voice of an angry American in Thailand, it's one of many in America and around the world who understand the unique and dangerous situation our fellow citizens are in. I am in no way suggesting that Americans are more important than any other foreigner here, and I'm pleased American-donated vaccines are reaching expats, but my efforts for change are directed at my own country. 

My heart truly breaks for you having been kept away when your mother died. I have woken up many nights this past year dreading that same possibility. I vent because I am losing time I won't get back. My venting doesn't prevent me from actively pursuing a vaccine as well as advocating for my government to assist it's citizens during this unique crisis.

Edited by macnmotion
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rwill said:

According to this ACA newsletter there is a senator trying to get legislation passed.  My guess is even if  they finally did pass this it would be after the crisis was over.

Senator Murphy introduces amendment calling for vaccine access for Americans abroad (mailchi.mp)

Perhaps it will be too late. 

I already received a Sinovac (for over 60) 

because nothing else was available by the time in my area. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, macnmotion said:

It's a long thread and I've put most information in the discussion as it came up. I cannot go back to edit my original post with all that additional info. In short:

I'm under 60. No medical conditions. I work here and have a family, so going to the USA to get vaccinated is a major time undertaking considering quarantines and time between injections. If I went to the US to visit family, including my mother, without having been vaccinated I would self quarantine for 10-14 days even as I would get a first dose on my first day back. I have a very clear understanding of the disease, the vaccines, breakthrough infections, etc. While everyone in my family has been vaccinated I will not put them at an unnecessary extra risk of a breakthrough infection before I am vaccinated (or until I am done with self quarantine), especially after 30 hours of travel being around a lot of people. And since it has now been 2 years since I've been home to visit, my preference would be to be fully vaccinated before I go so that my limited time home would be spent with family, not in isolation. I have prepaid for Moderna at 2 hospitals, and can take that if I am not vaccinated before October (if they truly come in October). The reason for my initial post was partially to vent, and partially to raise awareness among Americans as to options for making change. In June, 25 US Senators sent a bipartisan letter to Secretary of State Blinken asking him to commit to vaccinating American citizens overseas. Chris Murphy, one of the authors of that letter, has also introduced legislation concerning this. My desire for my government to help their citizens overseas isn't the lone voice of an angry American in Thailand, it's one of many in America and around the world who understand the unique and dangerous situation our fellow citizens are in. I am in no way suggesting that Americans are more important than any other foreigner here, and I'm pleased American-donated vaccines are reaching expats, but my efforts for change are directed at my own country. 

My heart truly breaks for you having been kept away when your mother died. I have woken up many nights this past year dreading that same possibility. I vent because I am losing time I won't get back. My venting doesn't prevent me from actively pursuing a vaccine as well as advocating for my government to assist it's citizens during this unique crisis.

COVID-19 is an unprecedented situation in modern history. 

Missed opportunity to improve multi-lateral humanitarian operations by the countries that participate in the annual Cobra Gold multinational military operation by giving COVID immunizations to people in austere areas this year.   Geo political win I would think for all that did by sending in multinational medical teams/information technology teams to vaccinate local nationals and expats and assist with administration? Win win I would think?  Tired planners that lack foresight to only rinse and repeat Cobra Gold.  It is the realm of possible to vaccinate Americans in Thailand more so than other countries in SE Asia. The planning infrastructure, contracting mechanisms and senior leadership is in place

13 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

Trump would have looked after you. Does Biden know where Thailand is. He probably thinks it's already part of China

When we lived in the US people would ask my wife where she was from.  She would tell them Thailand.  Often they would reply, "Oh, you're from Taiwan."

In a way Thailand already is part of China.  A lot of it's wealth is held by families of Chinese descent.

39 minutes ago, rwill said:

In a way Thailand already is part of China.  A lot of it's wealth is held by families of Chinese descent.

TRULY AMAZING! So, if we go by your frame of reference, San Francisco is part of China. You know....Chinatown and all.

10 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Besides a few posts a good thread with pertinent points and intelligent discussion.  From the comment above concerning the Afghanistan exit is not comparable to COVID 19 except in one way, the enemy has a say.  Very short-sighted comment.  US has provided COVID vaccines to Thailand and more coming.  If you don't want the US help refuse your Pfizer vaccine.  

FYI - this thread is about ACS's indifference to the difficulties that Americans (and other foreigners) in Thailand in getting vaccinated.  Not about their donation of vaccines.  Difficulties arising from incompetence and/or corruption by the Thai government.  As we've seen from so many news reports the donated vaccines haven't always been going to where they've been promised to go.  France, China and allegedly Japan have arranged for their citizens to be vaccinated.  The US should have done the same in addition to getting a promise that may be worthless from the Thai government to set aside a portion for foreigners. Outside its borders the US's consideration of foreigners and expats (like me) is often callous to put it mildly.

• Like 1

I'll end my participation in this thread with a final update. The ExpatVac appointment which I mentioned in my original post in this thread was this morning at Samitivej Hospital. It was a very well run operation, not a ton of people, I'd say I saw less than 100 in the time I was there at various stages of the process. Most were European expats, with many being British. I saw a smaller number of Americans. The few Americans I saw, including myself, received Pfizer, as did many of the Europeans. The others received AZ. I didn't see anyone outwardly unhappy with what they were given. The few people I spoke with were all under 60, and a few who shared said they had no underlying conditions. 

I have no idea how or why the allotment was done as it was done. I'm grateful to have a vaccine, and pleased that it's Pfizer.   Vaccine recipients all had their own stories to tell, the trouble they or loved ones here have had finding vaccines. 

I will continue my efforts to reach my representatives in America to push for change in how America treats its overseas citizens during extreme and unique circumstances such as this pandemic. My efforts may have begun because I couldn't get a vaccine, but there is a bigger issue that I'll remain involved with. I hope everyone who signed up with ExpatVac receives notification soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

FYI - this thread is about ACS's indifference to the difficulties that Americans (and other foreigners) in Thailand in getting vaccinated.  Not about their donation of vaccines.  Difficulties arising from incompetence and/or corruption by the Thai government.  As we've seen from so many news reports the donated vaccines haven't always been going to where they've been promised to go.  France, China and allegedly Japan have arranged for their citizens to be vaccinated.  The US should have done the same in addition to getting a promise that may be worthless from the Thai government to set aside a portion for foreigners. Outside its borders the US's consideration of foreigners and expats (like me) is often callous to put it mildly.

I agree with you. I encourage you to contact your representative in Congress, and ask them to contact the State Department and the US Embassy here on your behalf. And I encourage you to contact your Senators and ask them to back the bipartisan letter sent from 25 Senators to Secretary of State Blinken in June, as well as pending legislation proposed by Sen. Chris Murphy, to vaccinate Americans overseas.