Using LINE?

It seems these days everybody must use LINE in Thailand to be able to communicate with shops and more.

I also used it to order things and in principle that works fine.

But after ordering something here and there then it doesn't take long that all these shops send advertisement. I wouldn't mind if they would do this seldom maybe telling me news related to what I bought. But that is not what is happening. It seems every shop sends messages to everybody about lots of things which probably few people want or need.

Obviously I could just switch off LINE or mute notifications. That's what I did until now. But sometime there is a message from someone i.e. from my building management which is important. So I have to look from time to time and check if maybe from 30 messages there is one important one. I guess I could block shops where I bought something. And if I want to order again I could unblock them again. But that seems to be a lot of hassle.

Now over to you. Is there something like a spam filter for LINE so that I get only messages which are really intended for me personally and not messages which everybody should receive? Or what is a good way to handle this situation. I tried with some contactd to tell them not to send me advertisement but they just ignore it. How do you handle this problem?

2 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Inside LINE app, tap upper right the cog wheel (settings). Then tap "privacy" and select the option "filter messages".

Wow, u r clever, I just muted the stuff I didnt like ????

Learn something every day .

23 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Inside LINE app, tap upper right the cog wheel (settings). Then tap "privacy" and select the option "filter messages".

Wow! Thank you - every day I receive at least 20 unwanted line messages- stickers/melody etc - hopefully this will stop some of them.  Good job ???? 

1 hour ago, Sundown said:

Thanks!

I just clicked on that and I was expecting some additional info and questions but nothing happened.

Can you please explain a little what that does. I.e. does it filter out messages which are sent to lots of people or how does it work?

51 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

An amazing problem. Just stop notifications as well as messages. You can even block the person, company or page, until you need it next time. Haven´t you posted that you work with computers?

Yes, I work with computers. I don't work with gimmicks. 

Unfortunately in Thailand lots of companies ignore emails and the only way to communicate with them is LINE or, even worse, facebook.

If you would have read my post you would know that I know that I can block accounts. I want to block annoying messages. I don't want to block personal communication. That is what I asked and why I started this tread. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Unfortunately in Thailand lots of companies ignore emails and the only way to communicate with them is LINE or, even worse, facebook.

I am pretty sure that regular phone conversation works too. As far as I know, most companies have a phone number. See how easy you got rid of the commercial and messages. If they happen to send push SMS you can both block and report as spam. Super easy! ???? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Of course. It's so easy to deal with Thai companies on the 'phone. You always get put through to the right department or person and never get put through to the "hee hee hee falang" department

* the Panaknaan pass the 'phone around giggling and saying "farang, farang"

Totally misleading and unhelpful post.

No it´s not misleading. To live and work with something in Thailand, you will need to can speak Thai. Then they will not have to send you to any other department. or you can just chose the stupid approach and try to talk to regular Thai companies in English. Then you create you own problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No it´s not misleading. To live and work with something in Thailand, you will need to can speak Thai. Then they will not have to send you to any other department. or you can just chose the stupid approach and try to talk to regular Thai companies in English. Then you create you own problem.

@Gottfrid "Location: Where the river meet the farm"

I guess that explains it. ???? 

• Haha 2

Perhaps you can create a second LINE login on your PC just for commercial transactions and only switch to it from your regular LINE account when conducting business.

I just noticed there is a Chrome extension that seems to allow use of a LINE account through the browser.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So that's the secret, eh? - if you just speak Thai you always get put through to the right person and the right department and there is never any misunderstanding.

If you are not completely fluent in Thai (understanding as well as speaking), as most on here I suspect are not, then written communication tends to be less frustrating. My experience is that your Thai actually has to be pretty good for Thai's who are not used to hearing falang speaking Thai to be able to understand it.

I commend you on your 'Native speaker 'Thai language skills. Most of us find it a very difficult language to speak well.

Note: If you are not fluent in understanding Thai it is best to try and structure your requests as requiring a yes/no answer.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 3:25 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess I could block shops where I bought something. And if I want to order again I could unblock them again.

It's what I do, no hassle at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

@Gottfrid "Location: Where the river meet the farm"

I guess that explains it. ???? 

Not at all! What explains it, is the fact that so many people think it´s ok to settle down in a foreign country and think it´s the populations job to understand them. If you settle down in another country where they talk another language, it´s your darn duty to learn the language.

For your information, I have live both in Bangkok and Pattaya, but it just same day in day out. Let´s say, that people that lives there long time, does not tend to be smarter.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, mokwit said:

So that's the secret, eh? - if you just speak Thai you always get put through to the right person and the right department and there is never any misunderstanding.

If you are not completely fluent in Thai (understanding as well as speaking), as most on here I suspect are not, then written communication tends to be less frustrating. My experience is that your Thai actually has to be pretty good for Thai's who are not used to hearing falang speaking Thai to be able to understand it.

I commend you on your 'Native speaker 'Thai language skills. Most of us find it a very difficult language to speak well.

Note: If you are not fluent in understanding Thai it is best to try and structure your requests as requiring a yes/no answer.

Wow! That was much. I make it simple for you. Lived in a few big cities and in two rural areas in Isaan. Not a native speaker, but never had a problem with them not understanding me. I think it´s a matter of will to speak from our side. If you not want, then you will not put any effort into it. In that case, it will probably be hard to understand. Just let go of the ignorance and interest yourself for the people and the way of living, you will soon find it´s much easier and better.

18 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I don't think your response to OneMoreFalang is appropriate or accurate.

That has no weight. This is an open forum, and I am posting my opinion as you just did about my response. Feel free to go on. 

51 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Wow! That was much. I make it simple for you. Lived in a few big cities and in two rural areas in Isaan. Not a native speaker, but never had a problem with them not understanding me. I think it´s a matter of will to speak from our side. If you not want, then you will not put any effort into it. In that case, it will probably be hard to understand. Just let go of the ignorance and interest yourself for the people and the way of living, you will soon find it´s much easier and better.

I hope your Thai is better than your English. Though none of this is particularly relevant to the OPs question about using LINE.

Note that the "filter messages" option doesn't really help, you will have accepted the retailer as a Friend, so their messages still come through.

23 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Those who mildly annoy me get muted. Those who annoy me more get blocked. Works for me.

When I read this I had to think first if TV has both of these functions because just a minute ago I blocked someone annoying. And then I remembered that this is about LINE. ???? 

• Haha 1