Unvaccinated and travelling to LoS

Los Luver

You have had a lot of good advice today.  Why come?  Basically anything you would likely enjoy seeing or doing is locked down and may stay that way a while longer.  Of course, you can still go to 7/11 (those that are still open) except from 9 p.m. until 4 a.m. (9 p.m. curfew).  If you insist on coming get fully vaccinated first.  Thailand has enough unvaccinated people as it is.  Vaccines coming from abroad are trickling in when a massive amount of vaccines is needed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, marin said:

I would reaccess my plans if I were you. As a tourist you will not be eligible for any vaccine. Covid is raging here and most of the country is locked down.  Have a look at todays statistics.

s0dEsbU.jpg

Sweden has a population of 10 million, Thailand of 70 million. Sweden had 1.316 new Covid-cases two days ago - they haven't yet reported the numbers from today and yesterday, might be due to time zone difference - so to compare, Sweden would have 13,000 new cases if it had same population as Thailand.

Active cases in Sweden right now are 19,632, which would equal 196,000 cases in Thailand, which have 210,000 active cases at the same day, so not that huge a difference.

Historically Sweden had 108,000 cases per 1 million population, and 1,438 deaths; Thailand had 13,000 cases per 1 million population and 114 deaths.

1 hour ago, Bukowski said:

Don't listen to the doomsday old gits on here.. if you are healthy you have nothing to worry about. I'm also planning on travelling to Thailand in October as I believe the rules on entry are due to be updated then. Good luck.  

And you may be lucky enough to see a pig flying by as you land here in October. 555

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

He can not come and travel around Thailand as a tourist now, with or without a vaccine.   

Best case is he is in the sandbox Phuket thing. But then he can't leave the island for the mainland. 

If he's unvaccinated, he's not eligible to use the Phuket sandbox.

Begs the question of why he's not vaccinated?

But on the other hand, if he's coming in 3 months, he's got plenty time to get vaccinated before travel.

Also, I believe if you do use the sandbox, after 14 days, you can leave the sandbox and travel to the rest of Thailand - in that regard it's equivalent to going through quarantine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, you can travel to Thailand (you will need a negative RT-PCR test) and when you graduate from ASQ after 14 days you will be allowed outside.  You can travel to many places in Thailand, but there are a few exceptions.  For instance, you would not be able to travel into Phuket as only vaccinated people can enter Phuket domestically now.  If you really wished to visit Phuket you would either need to be vaccinated and participate in the Phuket Sandbox OR participate in Phuket ASQ in which case you would be in Phuket already when you graduated from your 14 days in quarantine.

There are no current restrictions for those who are not vaccinated in Thailand that I am aware of.  For example, you will be able to go into stores, malls, hotels, etc. regardless of your vaccination status.  I think only something like 7.9% [originally said 20% before corrected] of the Thai population is fully vaccinated at this time.

Edited by skatewash
Corrected the percent of Thai population that is currently fully vaccinated. The point being made however was that Thailand can hardly restrict activities for everyone except the vaccinated when only a relatively small portion of the population is.

2 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Yes, you can travel to Thailand (you will need a negative RT-PCR test) and when you graduate from ASQ after 14 days you will be allowed outside.  You can travel to many places in Thailand, but there are a few exceptions.  For instance, you would not be able to travel into Phuket as only vaccinated people can enter Phuket domestically now.  If you really wished to visit Phuket you would either need to be vaccinated and participate in the Phuket Sandbox OR participate in Phuket ASQ in which case you would be in Phuket already when you graduated from your 14 days in quarantine.

There are no current restrictions for those who are not vaccinated in Thailand that I am aware of.  For example, you will be able to go into stores, malls, hotels, etc. regardless of your vaccination status.  I think only something like 20% of the Thai population is fully vaccinated at this time.

That is an extreme overestimate: Only 7.9% have been fully vaccinated as of Aug 18th.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

He can not come and travel around Thailand as a tourist now, with or without a vaccine.   

Best case is he is in the sandbox Phuket thing. But then he can't leave the island for the mainland. 

There are a few things wrong with your statements:

1) He can come to Thailand (for example, ASQ in Bangkok)

2) He can travel around Thailand as a tourist now (after graduating from ASQ)

3) He doesn't qualify for the Phuket Sandbox as he is not vaccinated (he would qualify for Phuket ASQ though).

4) Anyone who arrives in Thailand in Phuket can leave Phuket and travel to other places in Thailand after they graduate from the Phuket Sandbox or Phuket ASQ.  People who graduate from the Phuket Sandbox can even return to Phuket, but people who graduate from Phuket ASQ cannot return to Phuket if they leave Phuket.

4) People who arrive in Thailand in Phuket can leave Phuket and travel elsewhere in Thailand if they graduate from either the Phuket Sandbox (OP would not qualify for this as he is not vaccinated) or Phuket ASQ (OP would qualify for this).

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That is an extreme overestimate: Only 7.9% have been fully vaccinated as of Aug 18th.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

Thanks for the correction.  The point I was trying to make is that Thailand can hardly have general restrictions on what the unvaccinated are allowed to do when only a very small percentage of the population is currently vaccinated.  The fact that the percentage is only 7.9% (rather than 20% as I incorrectly stated) only makes the point stronger, that Thailand cannot have general restrictions on what the unvaccinated are allowed to do.  For example, Thailand is unlikely to impose a rule stating that only vaccinated people can dine at a restaurant (as NYC has apparently proposed) when only a very small percentage of the population is vaccinated.  The OP asked about how unvaccinated people are currently restricted in Thailand and I tried to convey that apart from entry into Thailand and entry in to a few provinces (e.g., Phuket) there are not currently restrictions imposed on unvaccinated people in Thailand.  At least that I am aware of.

6 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Thanks for the correction.  The point I was trying to make is that Thailand can hardly have general restrictions on what the unvaccinated are allowed to do when only a very small percentage of the population is currently vaccinated.  The fact that the percentage is only 7.9% (rather than 20% as I incorrectly stated) only makes the point stronger, that Thailand cannot have general restrictions on what the unvaccinated are allowed to do.  For example, Thailand is unlikely to impose a rule stating that only vaccinated people can dine at a restaurant (as NYC has apparently proposed) when only a very small percentage of the population is vaccinated.  The OP asked about how unvaccinated people are currently restricted in Thailand and I tried to convey that apart from entry into Thailand and entry in to a few provinces (e.g., Phuket) there are not currently restrictions imposed on unvaccinated people in Thailand.  At least that I am aware of.

You made a good point. I was just correcting an inaccuracy. I am in complete agreement with your argument.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bkk_mike said:

If he's unvaccinated, he's not eligible to use the Phuket sandbox.

Begs the question of why he's not vaccinated?

But on the other hand, if he's coming in 3 months, he's got plenty time to get vaccinated before travel.

Also, I believe if you do use the sandbox, after 14 days, you can leave the sandbox and travel to the rest of Thailand - in that regard it's equivalent to going through quarantine.

I don't think that is the case. You can not travel to Chiang Mai or other areas. I think you have only got the choice of a few other islands.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skatewash said:

There are a few things wrong with your statements:

1) He can come to Thailand (for example, ASQ in Bangkok)

2) He can travel around Thailand as a tourist now (after graduating from ASQ)

3) He doesn't qualify for the Phuket Sandbox as he is not vaccinated (he would qualify for Phuket ASQ though).

4) Anyone who arrives in Thailand in Phuket can leave Phuket and travel to other places in Thailand after they graduate from the Phuket Sandbox or Phuket ASQ.  People who graduate from the Phuket Sandbox can even return to Phuket, but people who graduate from Phuket ASQ cannot return to Phuket if they leave Phuket.

4) People who arrive in Thailand in Phuket can leave Phuket and travel elsewhere in Thailand if they graduate from either the Phuket Sandbox (OP would not qualify for this as he is not vaccinated) or Phuket ASQ (OP would qualify for this).

I know that was the idea.

But I have friends that live in Phuket, are fully vaccinated, they are Thai. They came to visit friends in CM and now they are not allowed back to their home in Phuket.  

We also looked at going back to the UK to get our own vaccinations then flying back to Phuket for the sandbox before leaving to go back our house in CM after it ended. But was told we can not do that.

Also here in CM we are told no tourists are allowed here from Phuket because CM is a red zone. 

I am sorry, you could be correct. I am just confused by all the changing regulations and news. 

If I did go back to the uk and get vaccinated then return to the Phuket sandbox, are you saying we could then leave phuket to come home to CM?

Or is it is because we would not have a tourist visa? 

Sorry to be so dumb. 

2 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't think that is the case. You can not travel to Chiang Mai or other areas. I think you have only got the choice of a few other islands.

People are doing it.  Due to minimal domestic flights and interprovincial bus travel restrictions most people doing this are either hiring a car/van and driver or renting a car and driving themselves.

The choice of a few southern islands you seem to be referring to might be the 7+7 Sandbox in which people arrive in the Phuket Sandbox, stay for 7 nights on Phuket, then go to Samui and stay for 7 nights.  After they graduate from the 7+7 Sandbox they are free to go anywhere in Thailand.  If there's someplace they can't go I don't know where that is.  There are some provinces that will make domestic travelers quarantine (maybe Buriram?) but generally they can go anywhere.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skatewash said:

People are doing it.  Due to minimal domestic flights and interprovincial bus travel restrictions most people doing this are either hiring a car/van and driver or renting a car and driving themselves.

The choice of a few southern islands you seem to be referring to might be the 7+7 Sandbox in which people arrive in the Phuket Sandbox, stay for 7 nights on Phuket, then go to Samui and stay for 7 nights.  After they graduate from the 7+7 Sandbox they are free to go anywhere in Thailand.  If there's someplace they can't go I don't know where that is.  There are some provinces that will make domestic travelers quarantine (maybe Buriram?) but generally they can go anywhere.

Thank you for that information.

I will do some more research on it. 

But how can you drive from Phuket when there are road blocks and a curfew?  And I what about going from a red zone to a dark red zone? 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I know that was the idea.

But I have friends that live in Phuket, are fully vaccinated, they are Thai. They came to visit friends in CM and now they are not allowed back to their home in Phuket.  

We also looked at going back to the UK to get our own vaccinations then flying back to Phuket for the sandbox before leaving to go back our house in CM after it ended. But was told we can not do that.

Also here in CM we are told no tourists are allowed here from Phuket because CM is a red zone. 

I am sorry, you could be correct. I am just confused by all the changing regulations and news. 

If I did go back to the uk and get vaccinated then return to the Phuket sandbox, are you saying we could then leave phuket to come home to CM?

Or is it is because we would not have a tourist visa? 

Sorry to be so dumb. 

It is complicated and it does change.  I also think the English-language media doesn't seem to think it's important to be accurate and precise.  They seem to think close enough is good enough.  But the details are important. ????

I'll give you my understanding of some of your questions:

Your Thai friends who live in Phuket but left to visit CM and now can't get back into Phuket.  There was a period of time recently when that was actually true.  However, recently they have relaxed those restrictions and IF your Thai friends can demonstrate that they reside in Phuket they will be allowed back in.  They could demonstrate that by a Blue House Registration Book (tabian bahn) that shows they live in Phuket.  Or if they work in Phuket their employer could write them a letter and that could be used to get back into Phuket.  They will also need a negative covid test (rapid antigen is sufficient which can be had in Phang Nga for about 700 baht) in order to re-enter Phuket.

You can absolutely enter the Phuket Sandbox yourself (if at least 14 days after receiving your final vaccination) and after graduating from the Sandbox (staying 14 nights in a SHA Plus hotel, many of which are offering very reasonable pricing AND paying 8,000 baht/person for 3 RT-PCR tests while in Phuket) you could go to CM.  The situation is in flux but you could at least rent a car and drive yourself (you would show your graduation papers from Phuket Sandbox to be able to cross out of Phuket) to CM.  Or hire a car/van and driver to do so.  Or even possibly fly to U-Tapao from Phuket, stay overnight, then fly from U-Tapao to CM (the overnight stay is because the flights which are limited don't synch up correctly to be able to do in one day).  So don't mean to make it sound like it's a piece of cake, it's not, but it is possible.

Phuket is not a red zone (at present and likely not for immediate future) so I don't think it's a problem for people to go from Phuket to CM (which is red).  People have done it recently.  The word I hear is that the main checkpoints are the one leaving Phuket, and entering Phang Nga and then there don't seem to be other checkpoints or if there are people just seem to get waived through.  No guarantees, of course, just relaying what other people are reporting.

What visa/re-entry permit you use to enter the Sandbox doesn't really matter.  In other words, if you have a long term extension get a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) before you leave Thailand and use that to get back in via the Phuket Sandbox (assuming the permission to stay date allows you to do that with the trip you're planning.  In other words, you would need to be back in Thailand before your re-entry permit expires, of course.).  Or you could use a visa-exempt entry (45 + 30) or a tourist visa (60 + 30 days).

Again, there's not much that's easy about Phuket Sandbox, but if there's a will there's a way, it is possible. 

232122122_2995953580639339_4648314933099299619_n.jpg

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Where are you coming from?

Sweden, it seems.

Why aren't you vaccinated?

Don't know, none of my business.

Travel insurance will be impossible to get.

Not true.  I don't believe vaccination status plays any role in getting sufficient covid insurance ($100,000 coverage).  In other words, I have not heard of anyone getting a discount for having been vaccinated.  If it were impossible to get then no one would be coming to Thailand for ASQ as many of them are unvaccinated (if they were vaccinated they would probably be doing Phuket Sandbox instead) and they are all required to have the covid insurance coverage.

responses in bold

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Don't they have vaccines available?

Seems idiotic to travel unvaccinated.

I'm sure they have vaccines available. Perhaps he's able to understand data, make decisions / risk analysis regarding his health by himself, instead of blindly following pharma salesmen on tv.  Perhaps?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

4 minutes ago, Bukowski said:

I'm sure they have vaccines available. Perhaps he's able to understand data, make decisions / risk analysis regarding his health by himself, instead of blindly following pharma salesmen on tv.  Perhaps?

Maybe.

Sure would make traveling easier if your vaccinated.

Depends on how bad you want to travel.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1