Travel to Phuket allowed in this case?

BKKTRAVELER

Ok, so my friend who lives and works in Bkk (foreigner) has to go to work in Phuket for his Thai company. He has been vaccinated (J&J) for almost a month already. He wishes to take his 2 kids with him (foreign passports as well), who are minors and unvaccinated. He may go by his own car to avoid flight issues.

2 Questions:

1. Can he and his kids travel to Phuket at the moment (before end of August). His company is asking him to go, but it is not an essential trip that cannot be postponed.

2. Since he crosses the checkpoint by car, does he have to submit the less than 72 hours old PCR tests or can he ask them to be done over there, since it costs about 3,500THB+ per person in Bkk and I was hoping he would get a cheaper option over there maybe (weren't they supposed to do 800THB options?).

Any advice or answer would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

At the moment you really need to be able to prove strong ties to Phuket.  For example, you are a returning resident (and a foreigner) you need to show a yellow house registration book (tabian bahn).  Or if you regularly work in Phuket a letter from your employer stating that.  I don't think your friend would be able to prove either of those things.

The kids if under 18 would be allowed in without a vaccination but would need a negative covid test within 72 hours (can be the cheaper rapid antigen test).  I believe rapid antigen tests can be obtained in Phang Nga (province with which Phuket shares a bridge) for less than 800 baht.  But you must obtain the test from outside of Phuket, there is no facility for having a test done at the Phuket check point.

232122122_2995953580639339_4648314933099299619_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, skatewash said:

At the moment you really need to be able to prove strong ties to Phuket.  For example, you are a returning resident (and a foreigner) you need to show a yellow house registration book (tabian bahn).  Or if you regularly work in Phuket a letter from your employer stating that.  I don't think your friend would be able to prove either of those things.

The kids if under 18 would be allowed in without a vaccination but would need a negative covid test within 72 hours (can be the cheaper rapid antigen test).  I believe rapid antigen tests can be obtained in Phang Nga (province with which Phuket shares a bridge) for less than 800 baht.  But you must obtain the test from outside of Phuket, there is no facility for having a test done at the Phuket check point.

232122122_2995953580639339_4648314933099299619_n.jpg

Thank you, I really appreciate your prompt reply.

Edited by BKKTRAVELER
Add more content

6 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Do you also know how long the rapid test takes by any chance? thank you

I don't know but I think it's safe to say that they come back much faster than RT-PCR.  Here's something about that:

PCR tests detect viral RNA. Antigen tests, also called rapid diagnostic tests, detect specific proteins on the surface of the coronavirus. Antigen test results may come back in as little as 15 to 45 minutes; you may wait several days or longer for PCR test results.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus

1 hour ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

PCR tests or can he ask them to be done over there, since it costs about 3,500THB+ per person in Bkk and I was hoping he would get a cheaper option over there maybe

No cheaper options for PCR tests in Phuket.

However, a cheaper antigen test will be enough.

Edited by Espanol

4 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Right, but in any case you CANNOT get the covid test that lets you enter Phuket in Phuket.  You have to get it before you get to Phuket, up to 72 hours before you attempt to enter Phuket.  Covid tests haven't been offered at the Tha Chatchai checkpoint in Phuket for some time now.

46 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I don't know but I think it's safe to say that they come back much faster than RT-PCR.  Here's something about that:

Thank you very much, you're a life saver!

30 minutes ago, Espanol said:

Thank you so much and I understand that the test will be made out of Phuket.

So, in principle, they would be able to do an antigen test in Phang Nga in the morning and maybe enter Phuket noon or early afternoon?

Edited by BKKTRAVELER
misspell
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Thank you very much, you're a life saver!

Thank you so much and I understand that the test will be made out of Phuket.

So, in principle, they would be able to do an antigen test in Phang Nga in the morning and maybe enter Phuket noon or early afternoon?

This is an example from a testing center in Phang Nga.  However, it does say that it is only available for Phang Nga residents.  I'm not sure what that means exactly.  I think you might need to contact the testing center and ask if you can book an appointment even if you are not a Phang Nga resident (maybe at a higher cost?):

https://www.traveloka.com/en-th/activities/thailand/product/phang-nga-clinic-lab-phang-nga-8782750153389

I have heard that people have been able to get a rapid antigen test done at Takuapa Hospital in Phang Nga for 620 baht:  http://hospital.moph.go.th/takuapah/eng-info.html

In either case I think you would want to contact them and ask if you can in fact get the rapid antigen test you want.  It might be that you have to book the appointment ahead of time.

Remember that there is a requirement to demonstrate that the person seeking to enter Phuket has regular work that must be done in Phuket.  A letter from the employer for instance.  I'm not sure your friend would qualify for that exemption and if not they would not be allowed to enter.  In other words, generally people cannot enter Phuket domestically unless they can demonstrate that qualify for one of the limited exceptions for instance they are returning to where they live or work regularly.  I don't know how strict they are about this, but it would be unfortunate to find out at the checkpoint that it was stricter than you thought after having travelled all the way to Phuket from Bangkok.

10 minutes ago, skatewash said:

This is an example from a testing center in Phang Nga.  However, it does say that it is only available for Phang Nga residents.  I'm not sure what that means exactly.  I think you might need to contact the testing center and ask if you can book an appointment even if you are not a Phang Nga resident (maybe at a higher cost?):

https://www.traveloka.com/en-th/activities/thailand/product/phang-nga-clinic-lab-phang-nga-8782750153389

I have heard that people have been able to get a rapid antigen test done at Takuapa Hospital in Phang Nga for 620 baht:  http://hospital.moph.go.th/takuapah/eng-info.html

In either case I think you would want to contact them and ask if you can in fact get the rapid antigen test you want.  It might be that you have to book the appointment ahead of time.

Remember that there is a requirement to demonstrate that the person seeking to enter Phuket has regular work that must be done in Phuket.  A letter from the employer for instance.  I'm not sure your friend would qualify for that exemption and if not they would not be allowed to enter.  In other words, generally people cannot enter Phuket domestically unless they can demonstrate that qualify for one of the limited exceptions for instance they are returning to where they live or work regularly.  I don't know how strict they are about this, but it would be unfortunate to find out at the checkpoint that it was stricter than you thought after having travelled all the way to Phuket from Bangkok.

Thanks a lot, indeed being denied would be a tough blow. I'm going to relay all information to him and he will see from there. I appreciate all your help!

• Like 1

PCR test can be done for 2,500 Baht in Bangkok. Results the next afternoon are emailed to you. https://www.medconsultasia.com/ - Dr. Donna. Highly recommended by many in the Facebook groups. I went this morning. The payment process took the longest since there were a number of people asking questions but overall I was in and out in less than an hour. Make a reservation online.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

PCR test can be done for 2,500 Baht in Bangkok. Results the next afternoon are emailed to you. https://www.medconsultasia.com/ - Dr. Donna. Highly recommended by many in the Facebook groups. I went this morning. The payment process took the longest since there were a number of people asking questions but overall I was in and out in less than an hour. Make a reservation online.

Thanks but if antigen tests are acceptable, I guess it would be best. They are 3 people, 7,500B is just a bit much of a waste.

• Like 1