Do you need to have proof of credit card when checking in to a flight?

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Are they not debit cards? Either way, if you show a virtual card, why would it be any less valid than a virtual boarding pass? 

Most airline staff, thankfully are not as obtuse as the seat-warmers who refer to themselves as "the authorities".

You can’t show a virtual card, there’s nothing to show.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:23 AM, Noisyaircon2020 said:

If a relative were to book the flight for me with their credit card, would this be a problem? I have read stories that some airlines require you to show the credit card that your flight was booked on upon check in at the airport. Or is that airline specific possibly?

Some airlines requires proof of credit card upon check-in - however, you might not be asked for it - if you cannot show the credit card used to pay for the ticket, you might not be allowed to check-in (it probably don't apply to self-check-in on machines...????). You can find details with potential airlines for your flight, or on the booking platforms.

13 hours ago, markeewan said:

It is standard for airlines to request to see the credit card upon check in if this was an on line ticket purchase, due to fraud avoidance. But if the ticket is booked via a travel agent then they don't ask.

In any case if booked online, the airline has a form to cover this eventuality and you can get a pre-approval for this way of paying. Go search the airline website and look for the form to download and proceed from there and for sure they will have a option to cover what you are asking.

I think you may find one or two on line if you're lucky.  Maybe you could post links if you think this is commonplace?

13 hours ago, Salerno said:

I think it's possibly a geospecific thing in that personally I've never been asked to show it whether I booked directly or via a 3rd party site (vast majority of flights being Asia Pacific but I've never been asked in Europe, Middle East or the US either) but I have heard of people being asked to show it.

Agree, and I understand the routing and place of purchase are major contributors to the geographic based choice of who to check and who not too. 

• Like 1

in 12 years of flying between UK and Thailand, and within Thailand, all booked online by credit card, never been asked once. Also have bought ticket for my son once and for my sister-in-law, both of whom were never asked to show a card. Maybe it only happens if you use a card from a dodgy country?

14 hours ago, rickudon said:

Maybe it only happens if you use a card from a dodgy country?

That is what I was hinting at above (extra bolding):

" . . . the routing and place of purchase are major contributors to the geographic based choice of who to check and who not too."

This is from Emirates T & Cs (see the last sentence) and from well over 50 flights I think I've been asked once, which is why I wouldn't risk it.

image.png.25a291b555fbe99efd8023a225415fdd.png

• Like 1

In 40 years of travelling to the far East I have never been asked for a CC, also my wife is Thai and I always buy her ticket with my CC

We always check in Online and at Heathrow you check in and get baggage labels in via a machine, after putting your passport in it

• Like 1