Thai drivers license

Emzz21

3 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

On 27.10.2015 a user named puuchai299 wrote on Thaivisa:

I was a UK Government approved Driving Instructor for 24 years. (though I didn't do it full time). Nowadays if anyone asks me for recommendations I tell them to look for the most expensive independant instructor they can find, NOT THE CHEAPEST. There is a reason that instructor has a full diary and is able to command their fee.

That advise may be true for the UK, but not for Thailand. Independent instructors are thin on the ground and they do not all have the accreditation of the DLT nor the facilities to take the student through the whole process.

Here the better option are the schools offering intensive driving courses leading to testing. I believe there are similar options available in the UK as well. The British military also use this technique to train their professional drivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That advise may be true for the UK, but not for Thailand. Independent instructors are thin on the ground and they do not all have the accreditation of the DLT nor the facilities to take the student through the whole process.

Here the better option are the schools offering intensive driving courses leading to testing. I believe there are similar options available in the UK as well. The British military also use this technique to train their professional drivers.

I agree. My point was that the cheapest (which is what the OP was asking for) when it comes to learning a life skill may not be the best option.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

My 5 years driving licence is going to expire end of this year. I renewed it 5 years ago with the non-o visa. As I can't get this visa anymore (I'm under 50y) I will fly to Phuket sandbox by TR. After that I will travel to Pattaya.
What is the better way to extend the driving licence? Before or after the expire date of the DL? Do I have to do the online test anyway? How about driving?
My english is not good enough to understand the questions of the test. Is it allowed to bring one person with me?

Any recommendations or informations?

Thanks in advance

ChaoPhraya

13 minutes ago, ChaoPhraya said:

Hello everyone

My 5 years driving licence is going to expire end of this year. I renewed it 5 years ago with the non-o visa. As I can't get this visa anymore (I'm under 50y) I will fly to Phuket sandbox by TR. After that I will travel to Pattaya.
What is the better way to extend the driving licence? Before or after the expire date of the DL? Do I have to do the online test anyway? How about driving?
My english is not good enough to understand the questions of the test. Is it allowed to bring one person with me?

Any recommendations or informations?

Thanks in advance

ChaoPhraya

If your 5 year has expired, but for less than a year, you will not have to start all over. Your tests will be, colour blind, foot/brain reaction and lining up a couple of white sticks, plus watching an hour long load of tosh video in Thai, you can sleep through that.

If you do not have a long stay O-visa I believe you will get a 2 year licence, but don't hold me to that....