Extension of stay based on retirement

Hi

my current situation:

- NON-IMM O

- Extension of stay based on marriage

target Situation:

- NON-IMM O

- Extension of stay based on retirement

Today I went to Immigration and asked, if I can apply for a extension of stay based on retirement and the IO told me, that I have to leave the country first and then apply for a retirement visa. Is that true?

3 minutes ago, Opossum said:

Thx Ubonjoe. I need to ask you for another favour. Do you have by chance an official link or a document I can show this to the person? I have to invent anyway a nice story so the person won't loose face.

I don't have anything other than the requirements for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

I have nothing stating it can be done since that would be a procedure done by imitation that is not public info.

Ask to talk to a different officer if you get the same answer.

• Thanks 1

When I was on retirement 3 years ago and changed to marriage I got the distinct impression that changing back to retirement in the future would not be that easy.

I spent some money reducing my 800K, but anticipated it would recover. ( my personal finances )

We shall see ( Immigration's attitude )

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Your prerogative..... just means that you often won't receive useful information.

Mea culpa maxima, but it's just a tiny immigration office in the outback with 2 people sitting there and only one is responsible for visa matters.

• Like 1

Just found the following link and I only hope that this information is not outdatet:

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

Section 22: 

Criteria for Consideration

1. Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  2. etc...

Oh my oh my.... Still have another year to go. Hopefully, until then the IO has forgoten my question and so will not loose face. I will show the person section 22 and will kindly ask him/ her if I'm qualified with my existing Visa Non-IMM O, if all other criterias are fullfiled.

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your prerogative..... just means that you often won't receive useful information.

Agreed. Why won't you provide the location of the office ? You don't have to name the individual concerned. Very odd. A bogus enquiry I suspect.

3 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Agreed. Why won't you provide the location of the office ? You don't have to name the individual concerned. Very odd. A bogus enquiry I suspect.

Yeah, I'm surprised the IO didn't ask what his moniker was on this forum.

• Haha 2

On 8/23/2021 at 1:01 PM, Opossum said:

Mea culpa maxima, but it's just a tiny immigration office in the outback with 2 people sitting there and only one is responsible for visa matters.

But can you at least please let us know whether said "tiny immigration office in the outback" is located in Isaan? If it is, @MJCM might be interested as he is planning to do exactly the same as you and appears to be located in that part of the world!

Edited by OJAS

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But can you at least please let us know whether said "tiny immigration office in the outback" is located in Isaan? If it is, @MJCM might be interested as he is planning to do exactly the same as you and appears to be located in that part of the world!

I think MJCM is using the Buriram office if I recall correctly and it is not a small office.

Isaan if not the only region that has some small offices. I think there are some very small offices in some provinces in the South that have been known to come up with some strange requirements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think MJCM is using the Buriram office if I recall correctly and it is not a small office.

Isaan if not the only region that has some small offices. I think there are some very small offices in some provinces in the South that have been known to come up with some strange requirements.

UbonJoe is correct, I am using the Buriram Office.

Before I do the change I will have my wife talk / visit them and ask them if it's possible to do!

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Before I do the change I will have my wife talk / visit them and ask them if it's possible to do!

I am sure they will do it and be pleased that your are doing it like most offices would be.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure they will do it and be pleased that your are doing it like most offices would be.

I agree, the first time (ever which was in Pattaya) I did the extension of stay on Marriage and the IO asked why I don't go for the retirement one, I said "Sorry I am not yet 50" he looked at my passport and smiled and said oke ????

Today another only 5 minutes job for my ret. ext non "O" ..... it looked as they where waiting for applicants...., as straight on to desk ..... very quit at immigration at 9.30 this Wednesday  morning .

Different on Kassikorn , early on doors ,i was  number 2 anyway???? , but another change of KK staff, i had to explain what a bank letter for immigration means...???? by this very " babbling to colleagues young guy ", different than last years very "round" lady , who just tap computer , fill the needs on computer and start copying and me signing , less than 5 minutes ,

this new Staff young guy could make it to 20 minutes and even give me the wrong passbook back ,lucky the real owner noticed it  as i pocketed already and at immigration they noticed a copy extra with a "dazzling amount of millions baht" on it between my bank letter documents....( because he mixed things at that time on copy machine probably ...),????

So now i am O.K. for another 13 months (as 1 month early doing ..) 

But no need as between June and September latest i am out , back to home country ????

Edited by david555

This goes back many years but to change from Marriage to Retirement in Bangkok required a current medical certificate (dreaded disease list) and that wife appear with you - the feeling being you may be about to do a runner from your wife was the stated reason from an officer.

• Haha 1

It's not in ISAAN! I was told yesterday by someone in my Thai class, he tried the same thing years ago at another place and they told him exactly the same story. The IO just refused to do it. So he gave me the advice to do as they say and not to argue...., while another colleague in the same class told me - he had no problem to change it in the past. I hate all these free-style thing....

but I can not change them, I can only change myself ????

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

I agree, the first time (ever which was in Pattaya) I did the extension of stay on Marriage and the IO asked why I don't go for the retirement one, I said "Sorry I am not yet 50" he looked at my passport and smiled and said oke ????

That's funny, the same IO was telling me the same story last year as yours. Well sure but just under the condition to leave the country... hahahaha

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

This goes back many years but to change from Marriage to Retirement in Bangkok required a current medical certificate (dreaded disease list) and that wife appear with you - the feeling being you may be about to do a runner from your wife was the stated reason from an officer.

".... the feeling being you may be about to do a runner from your wife was the stated reason from an officer....." It's funny, I had exactly the same thoughts, when I left the Imm office, because the 2 ladies in there where looking at each other - like giving each other signs. Well, next year I will bring my wife with me. Hopefully until then, those ladies forgot what I was asking for....and I will let my wife speak - I hate doing this because the outcome is often completly something else than what I wanted. Oh my oh my....