Help needed renewing British passport in Thailand

I have a UK passport which is set to expire on 23/6/2022, so I will need to renew it.

Is there a simple step by step guide available?: as I am confused about a couple of issues, including supporting documents and whether Consular Services are even open at the moment.

In particular, I can provide proof of identity, but do not have any documents for proof of address in Thailand as I simply live at the family home where everything is in my wife's name. Does anyone know what I can do?  Would a Thai credit card statement/bank account do?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Go through all the steps here to get about all the info you need. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Thanks Joe I read through that:

The sticking point for me is 'evidence of address' :  The list says:

Please provide one of the following: • visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) • tax record eg a letter from a tax authority • educational record eg school report • employment record eg official letter from your employer • letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department • medical/health card • voter’s card • immigration documents.

I'm on the so called 'wife visa'.  I don't have any of the above documents.  Any idea what I can do?

(I notice it says 'visa or resident permit'- the only official proof of that are the stamps in my passport.)

Edited by mommysboy

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

That is actually all you need. The point is that the Passport Office aren't really interested in your address in Thailand, because they're not going to post anything to you. What the immigration stamp in your passport tells them is that you are legally staying in Thailand and that Thai Immigration have had sight of your passport, so there's a sporting chance that it is genuine.

Yes that would be logical.

I've been doing some browsing and Richard Barrow had a useful blog. It looks like he did it that way too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Please provide one of the following: • visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy) • tax record eg a letter from a tax authority • educational record eg school report • employment record eg official letter from your employer • letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department • medical/health card • voter’s card • immigration documents.

I'm on the so called 'wife visa'.  I don't have any of the above documents.  Any idea what I can do?

(I notice it says 'visa or resident permit'- the only official proof of that are the stamps in my passport.)

I got a statement of my account from the Kasikorn Bank. For 100 baht or 200 baht (I don't remember which), they will type your name and address in English.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Your new passport will be 10 years from date of application.

Pedantic, I know, but it's 10 years from the date of issue. But the result is that for those who have to apply for annual extensions, you are likely to have to renew it after 9 years or accept an extension of less than a year.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker66 said:

I redid mine in 2018 and got "credit" for time left on the passport. I must have gotten my new passport just before they changed the system.

You're right, I over-estimated it.  Well done, for getting in just in time!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/14/uk-passports-could-lose-up-to-nine-months-validity-after-rule-change

On 8/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, grain said:

Get a visa agent to do it. Mine also expires in 2022, I already spoke with Darren at Key Visa, and for a reasonable charge he'll take care of everything, and give me a brand new UK PP with all the Thai imm/visa transfer taken care of, so I don't have to stuff around doing anything. Of course I could save a few thousand baht and do it all myself, and have a bunch of headaches. Up to you. Personally I prefer to pay a bit extra and have a professional, who knows the entire process inside out, take care of it.

If you live outside Bangkok or Chiang Mai definitely recommended particularly as you have to lodge and collect in person.

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

If you live outside Bangkok or Chiang Mai definitely recommended particularly as you have to lodge and collect in person.

True. 2 return trips via air will cost as much or more than Key visas's fee.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:33 PM, mommysboy said:

The sticking point is you or your wife should have competed a TM 30 and you would then have a proof of address in your passport. Do it now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ombra said:

I got a statement of my account from the Kasikorn Bank. For 100 baht or 200 baht (I don't remember which), they will type your name and address in English.

P.S.  If you use a bank letter, you need to submit the letter plus a photocopy of it. I didn't have a photocopy and that wasted time.

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought there was a VFS office in Chiang Mai now?

Yes there is used them last time prior to them having an office used Key Visa.

what I meant in my post was if you don’t live in Bangkok or Chiang Mai use them.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I just did this in Nov 2020, I’m pretty sure I just used my Thai Driving licence as proof of Thai Address at VFS  (they needed a photo copy front and back).

Same Same for Me when I Renewed mine in 2017....Plus I Had ALL my Thai Visa Info transferred into the NEW Passport at Mukdahan Immigration the next time I was leaving on a Border Run & That was done totally FREE !! By a Beautiful Lady I.O. Thank You Ma'am