Video: Australian pensioner kicked over after he hit Thai man's car that failed to stop at zebra crossing

webfact

I walk with a hiking pole(protection) when I step off the kerb, I hold the pole out in front, and boldly step where farang fear to go,  Try crossing the road in Vietnam, that is where I adopted the hiking pole

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

This works for most things, in any foreign countries. 

How would you react if in , say, Vancouver BC standing right on the kerb on a normal street and a car stopped because they thought you wanted to cross?

I'd know they weren't stopping for me, just looking for a parking spot

• Haha 1

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

I walk with a hiking pole(protection) when I step off the kerb, I hold the pole out in front, and boldly step where farang fear to go,  Try crossing the road in Vietnam, that is where I adopted the hiking pole

My grandad about 60 years ago was taking me to the nearest pub even though I was too young to indulge , and a car screached to a stop as my G. crossed the road , he then whacked the bonnet with his walking stick. I don't think a punch up ensued as I kept walking . Funny the things one remembers from so long ago. On the way back he said ' Hang on son I need a draw off . Then proceeded with a forward slash.

I was visiting him in Brixton around the same year and he took me to his local , a Sunday it was and his neighbour was under his car. My G said .' Oi ! Sambo why aren't you  indoors watching the cricket ?' What a character he was.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

This works for most things, in any foreign countries. 

How would you react if in , say, Vancouver BC standing right on the kerb on a normal street and a car stopped because they thought you wanted to cross?

I'd feel that they were obeying the law by stopping to let me cross and I wouldn't have been at all surprised, as in most western countries (France excluded).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clydesdale said:

What action will the police take against the car failing to stop at a zebra crossing when there is a pedestrian on it ?

I thought zebra crossings were only decoration ????

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Why did the old guy not press charges???? So Stupid!!!

This is exactly why the Thai guy will never learn. A Wai and pay some money and that’s it. 

That Thai guy would have run into a fist if I had seen that. What a coward!

Pressing charges opens up a whole new world of grief.

The right thing to do, but I can understand why he wouldn't bother.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, smedly said:

wish he had tried that on me

### coward picking on an elderly man

I don't know why there are Zebra crossings in Thailand as nobody seems to stop and if do stop you might end up with a car,truck,bus ,power walker up your ass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have mentioned this before, because I don't believe that a lot of Thais know the significance of the zebra crossing (as we call it) and that they are supposed to slow down and stop when someone is on it.

Add to that the fact that there are many unlicensed/untrained drivers out there and you have a recipe for disaster.

Many's the time I have been on a zebra crossing and spied a car coming towards me, so have slowed down, only to find that the car totally ignores me and carries on through.

I have had to warn countless visitors here that they should not treat the zebra crossings in Thailand as they treat them in their own country, because drivers here really don't know what to do with them, or give a toss.

I ride a small motorbike and I never stop at zebra crossings. If I did, I'd be mown down by the car behind me.

Nearly happened when I started driving here and started slowing down for the crossing.

These crossings only work if a Thai (hotel employee) first steps out with a small stop sign.

Edited by KarenBravo

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The foreigner did not want to press charges and was later taken home by the Mae Ping police.

Because he was in the wrong -  you can't go around hitting cars! 

The Thai guy also was wrong, a total *******

• Like 2