Video: Australian pensioner kicked over after he hit Thai man's car that failed to stop at zebra crossing

webfact

3 hours ago, balo said:

Then they should know the rules, zebra crossings do not work like in the West. 

Look left, look right, look left , look right, then run for your life. Works for me.  

Worldwide pedestrians go first at zebra crossings. Motorists who go first and then even getting out his car to do a flying kick in the back of a elderly walking tourist should be minimum 2 years in a jail and his driving license taking away. Only Paying a 2000 bht hospital bill is an insult.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

There is a Zebra crossing in front of Kad Suan Kaew. Just observe the Thai people there, they only cross when there are no incoming cars.

You are in CM go check out that Rimping store & crossing. I shop there, that crossing is from the store entry doors across to the parking lot, motorcycle parking. It is nothing like crossing the road in front of KSG. Easy to think, if you are an old geezer, that you would not get run down. He also could have crossed there many times and cars did yield, except this time.  

You can bet there will be no downside for the driver that nearly hit him and then assaulted the old guy. No reason it will not happen again.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:12 AM, smedly said:

wish he had tried that on me

### coward picking on an elderly man

It happens a lot here. I was recently intentionally run into by a farang running in opposite direction. Put a shoulder into me and kept running. Body builder about 6 ft. tall, 40-50, 35 years my junior. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

That would be the ideal case but if we were to go to a different country with different culture, should we not learn the language, customs and habits of that country? Do as the romans do...

So if we don't take off our shoes back in the western countries, we also shouldn't take off our shoes when entering a Thai home? Even though we are both using 'shoes' in different countries.

I see your point, visitors should learn about the customs of the place they visit, I completely agree. But if they die in the street before they can learn, then what? This is a case a symbol being used wrongly. The symbol was made to represent a safe zone, but in Thailand it marks the killing zone - cross at your own risk. It's so dangerous for new visitors and their confusion is obvious, so the gov't should change to a different line pattern. Governments are meant to keep people safe and they are paid by the people for that service, sorry, my American ideals are flaring up again, I'll shut up now, I need to remind myself that Thailand is a country of "good enough", work stops when it is "good enough" so I shouldn't expect anything to be better than "good". I don't mean that as an insult, if you are Thai, it's the standard that is different so I need to adjust to it, which is difficult since my work begins at "good enough". Not sure how I ended with a compliment to myself, but I'll take it????

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It is to make driver's aware that people may be crossing the road, but not to stop, but be more careful. 

Can't keep the rules you had in the West and enjoy the lack of laws that are convenient to you, for example buying a visa through an agent if you don't meet requirements, or prostitution. I don't mean you personally.  

That's my point, that you can't take a symbol that was made to mark a safe zone and use it for an unsafe zone. Instead, make a different line pattern - how about big white crosses? Then westerners won't have a problem - and if they do, then you can tell them to learn the rules. Until then, they do know the rules about zebra crossings and Thailand doesn't. It's like if somebody uses the red cross symbol to mark dangerous drugs, and say westerners should know it doesn't mean that here! It's not difficult to make new symbols to mean new things, but the confusion here is obvious and I'm not sure why the gov't doesn't correct their mistake.

2 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

That's my point, that you can't take a symbol that was made to mark a safe zone and use it for an unsafe zone. Instead, make a different line pattern - how about big white crosses? Then westerners won't have a problem - and if they do, then you can tell them to learn the rules. Until then, they do know the rules about zebra crossings and Thailand doesn't. It's like if somebody uses the red cross symbol to mark dangerous drugs, and say westerners should know it doesn't mean that here! It's not difficult to make new symbols to mean new things, but the confusion here is obvious and I'm not sure why the gov't doesn't correct their mistake.

Not sure I agree here, just because a zebra crossing means stop in the UK, doesn't mean it has to mean the same here.  I'd rather traffic lights stayed the same here, which are different from the UK -  you can turn left at a red. 

Laws should be as the people want, and here we want zebra crossing to be as they are, stop or not stop, we like freedom! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I see your point, visitors should learn about the customs of the place they visit, I completely agree. But if they die in the street before they can learn, then what? This is a case a symbol being used wrongly. The symbol was made to represent a safe zone, but in Thailand it marks the killing zone - cross at your own risk. It's so dangerous for new visitors and their confusion is obvious, so the gov't should change to a different line pattern. Governments are meant to keep people safe and they are paid by the people for that service, sorry, my American ideals are flaring up again, I'll shut up now, I need to remind myself that Thailand is a country of "good enough", work stops when it is "good enough" so I shouldn't expect anything to be better than "good". I don't mean that as an insult, if you are Thai, it's the standard that is different so I need to adjust to it, which is difficult since my work begins at "good enough". Not sure how I ended with a compliment to myself, but I'll take it????

Then somebody should make a video on 10 different important things in Thailand that are different from western countries.

I am sure it takes only 5 minutes to watch before one move to Thailand. Instead most western videos just talk about ladyboys and 'boom-boom'. ☺️

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not sure I agree here, just because a zebra crossing means stop in the UK, doesn't mean it has to mean the same here.  I'd rather traffic lights stayed the same here, which are different from the UK -  you can turn left at a red. 

Laws should be as the people want, and here we want zebra crossing to be as they are, stop or not stop, we like freedom! 

agree, anyone whose spent any time here knows the vast majority of thai drivers will not stop to let people cross the road, zebra crosing or not. i have often helped elderly thai's cross the road becasue the, even slow moving, traffic would simply not stop to aloow them to cross safely. anyone expecting a driver to stop to allow them to cross safely is mis-guided in their expectations. sadly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Then somebody should make a video on 10 different important things in Thailand that is different from western countries.

I am sure it takes only 10 minutes to watch before one move to Thailand. Instead most western videos just talk about ladyboys and sex. ☺️

I like it, play it on tv while people wait in line at immigration! Put ladyboys and sex in it too, so people will definitely watch

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

That's great, but instead of stripes, use dots or crosses so you aren't changing an internationally recognized symbol for safety

7 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I like it, play it on tv while people wait in line at immigration! Put ladyboys and sex in it too, so people will definitely watch

I remembered watching a Thai guy making a video on his university days in USA. He was asking about some strange things he found in the USA.

1. Why do the cars stop at Zebra crossing.

2. Why do the toilet/restrooms have large gaps in their doors where everyone can see you doing your thing.

3. Why do Americans not take off their shoes when entering his house.

I can't remember the rest but it was quite funny....I can't seem to find the video anymore.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

That's great, but instead of stripes, use dots or crosses so you aren't changing an internationally recognized symbol for safety

If they used large white crosses, foreigners might think a train is coming. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, balo said:

Look left, look right, look left , look right, then run for your life. Works for me.

That approach works well in the US, but it can get you killed in the UK where they drive on the left side. ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Worldwide pedestrians go first at zebra crossings. Motorists who go first and then even getting out his car to do a flying kick in the back of a elderly walking tourist should be minimum 2 years in a jail and his driving license taking away. Only Paying a 2000 bht hospital bill is an insult.

That's not worldwide.  It even varies state by state in the USA.  In a lot of places, zebra crossings just allow you to cross there.  (Cross anywhere else and you get ticketed for jaywalking)  They don't convey right of way.

Nobody was right in this interaction.  The Aussie shouldn't have hit the car, and the driver shouldn't have kicked the Aussie.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Drivers here tend not to make way for an ambulance unless it's absolutely bearing down on them- I don't trust crosswalks as a pedestrian, ever.  When I'm driving, I rather enjoy the reactions of others in the crosswalk when I come to a full stop and wave them by.  The wais and smiles I receive in return tell me this isn't a common occurrence.;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:
On 8/24/2021 at 7:56 PM, chang1 said:

Is that correct? In the UK I was taught not to proceed until the pedestrian was off the road. The reasoning is that they may decide to turn around at anytime. Of course the Thai rules may differ. 

This ain't the UK. 

I guess you didn't bother to read the last sentence. 

Like most countries, Thai Road laws are very similar to the UK highway code although certainly not the same. 

Edited by chang1

On 8/24/2021 at 5:29 AM, xylophone said:

I have mentioned this before, because I don't believe that a lot of Thais know the significance of the zebra crossing (as we call it) and that they are supposed to slow down and stop when someone is on it.

Add to that the fact that there are many unlicensed/untrained drivers out there and you have a recipe for disaster.

Many's the time I have been on a zebra crossing and spied a car coming towards me, so have slowed down, only to find that the car totally ignores me and carries on through.

I have had to warn countless visitors here that they should not treat the zebra crossings in Thailand as they treat them in their own country, because drivers here really don't know what to do with them, or give a toss.

Shortly after the coup there were pictures of cops guiding people across crossings in Bangkok to emphasise what they are for. All forgotten now I suspect.

There was also a video possibly in Pattaya but maybe Phuket of a crossing with lights showing everyone ignoring the lights. Including the police.