Video: Australian pensioner kicked over after he hit Thai man's car that failed to stop at zebra crossing

webfact

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I went to stay at my sister's in Melbourne and hit a car that nearly hit me - he went through a red light turning left. He stopped and was most upset and if I weren't 6'4", he might have had a go. 

Important to learn the laws of the land when travelling abroad. 

Thailand is no place for single 80 year old foreigners. 

Even if they have lived here 30+ years?

More of a culture shock for them back home I'd say.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clydesdale said:

What action will the police take against the car failing to stop at a zebra crossing when there is a pedestrian on it ?

They probably don't know the rules relating to that like the rest of the Thai drivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have mentioned this before, because I don't believe that a lot of Thais know the significance of the zebra crossing (as we call it) and that they are supposed to slow down and stop when someone is on it.

Add to that the fact that there are many unlicensed/untrained drivers out there and you have a recipe for disaster.

Many's the time I have been on a zebra crossing and spied a car coming towards me, so have slowed down, only to find that the car totally ignores me and carries on through.

I have had to warn countless visitors here that they should not treat the zebra crossings in Thailand as they treat them in their own country, because drivers here really don't know what to do with them, or give a toss.

Your last 4 words sum it up nicely

• Like 1

The rule of thumb in Thailand for any vehicle or motorbike is, “Your job is to avoid me and my vehicle.” 
That is how they drive here….they have no training and common sense doesn’t exist. Overtaking on blind bends happens every day. When I’m driving the car mopeds will cross in front of me forcing me to brake to avoid them. Sometimes I would like to be driving a Humvee with a big cow catching grill on the front and ….BANG! “Oh sorry.”

If the government cared as much about traffic deaths (I believe the highest in the world) as they do about Covid and lockdowns they might start resolving this issue. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fredscats said:

The old guy was an idiot for thinking anyone would stop for him

Nothing less, even an idiot for having behave correctly, the Thai found an elderly person, had he found a younger farang he would be treated in the hospital

1 hour ago, steven100 said:
4 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

What a filthy low-class way to attack this man. Typical Thainess. 

it's the type of scum prevalent in thai society these days unfortunately

These people and their actions are not "prevalent in Thai society", incidences such as these are the exceptions.

• Like 1

Elderly abuse is a felony in many countries pressing charges by the victim is not required.  They should book this abusers A and give him significant jail time.  Shameful and disgusting,,

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pedestrians seem to have a better idea about crossings than most local drivers.

However, some locals do ????Check out the old geezer staggering out of the place across the street he’s parked on the crossing so he can cross safely ????????

TIT 

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

People should learn very quickly that like so many things in Thailand, they are just for show and don't have the slightest effect on anything.

So true , double yellow dividing lines are a good example

5 hours ago, Clydesdale said:

What action will the police take against the car failing to stop at a zebra crossing when there is a pedestrian on it ?

cops probably dont know what the paints on the road for...

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

100% correct.

It comes down to a lack of education.

They are simply not aware of things like stopping for pedestrians on zebra crossings, right of way (intersections, roundabouts etc.) and other basic principles of operating a motor vehicle safely and courteously. 

Then the incorrect and dangerous behaviour is tolerated because there is no enforcement of the rules.

yeah...   just fall asleep looking at the stupid shock movie at the licence department... 

my thai friend said in her village area they dont know what the signs with 50 written on them are for

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Channel 7 reported that the man who assaulted the foreigner later apologized and paid for all his hospital treatment.

And is that all? He should be prosecuted for assault or attempted murder.

I bet there is a high chance he will do it again if he doesn't feel severed consequences. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Seems the violent thai attacker isn’t even in jail, meanwhile being outside without wearing an useless face mask can.

Only if charges are brought for not wearing a mask.   Have there been any reports of offenders being jailed for not wearing a mask?