powerline networking

robblok

I always read how great this is, i just want to give a bit of a warning about it that it does not always work.

I now (for the time being) live in a big house 4 floors. 1 router on floor 2 and one on floor 3 connected by Aimesh. I thought to get better internet on the top floor floor 4 where my gym is to use a powerline network device as it was cheaper as buying an other Aimesh router (though I love Aimesh as you dont have to switch networks).

However this house has so many breaker boards and stuff the two powerline adapters almost make no connection. Just a heads up about the powerline networking options it might not work if your house has some electrical problems. Because it sounds great plug in socket connect to router plug the other unit in an other socket and done. Unfortunately it does not always work that way.

You don't read much about that when they review, probably because the problem is less in the west.

I thought the idea was pretty much dead now with better / faster WiFi, it was never wonderful (totally useless here).

I have one somewhere, wouldn't even work well down an extension lead ???? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I thought the idea was pretty much dead now with better / faster WiFi, it was never wonderful (totally useless here).

I have one somewhere, wouldn't even work well down an extension lead ???? 

They say it should be plugged straight into a socket not into extension cords and splitters. I just saw it as a way to overcome the big distance in the house. Boy was i wrong. 

Strange that it does not work for you as I expect you to have your house wired to European standards. All the recent reviews about the powerline networking were great so i thought why not.

I just thought that it would overcome wifi its limited reach. Not sure how the house is constructed but a router on floor 2 and on floor 3 (both expensive and good Asus routers) but it still does not penetrate well to floor 4. A cheaper version of the router that I have with Aimesh would have set me back 3600 this set was 1500 or so. But did not work well at all. 

Anyway live and learn.

The weird wiring was a concern when I considered powerline networking. Like you we live in a 4 storey house, so I tried a fairly cheap pair of TP-Link adapters first.

I found they worked and have since increased the adapters on the original network and added a pair of Zyxel gigabit adapters. I now have two powerline networks running happily through the same wiring system and junction box.

I've not had any problems, you don't get the numbers the equipment is badged as capable of, but it's good enough. The TP-Link 500 network gives about 50 to 70Mbps, whilst the pair of Zyxel 1800 adapters will give me 100 to 150Mbps.

I'm happy with them, it avoided running wires all over the house.

4 minutes ago, Stocky said:

The weird wiring was a concern when I considered powerline networking. Like you we live in a 4 storey house, so I tried a fairly cheap pair of TP-Link adapters first.

I found they worked and have since increased the adapters on the original network and added a pair of Zyxel gigabit adapters. I now have two powerline networks running happily through the same wiring system and junction box.

I've not had any problems, you don't get the numbers the equipment is badged as capable of, but it's good enough. The TP-Link 500 network gives about 50 to 70Mbps, whilst the pair of Zyxel 1800 adapters will give me 100 to 150Mbps.

I'm happy with them, it avoided running wires all over the house.

Yes but for some reason did not work for me at all. I mean even between two floors the power socket connection gives a red light. Its crazy. Anyway i think its wiring. 

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Ordered one from a well known supplier in H Hin, who advised me against it, and sold me a 20 metre CAT6 cable, and a bag of cable clips. Works 100% fine.

Sure but this is a rented house and I think i bought from the same supplier. Anyway if i need i i will buy an other Aimesh router. 

But its just for my gym and all i do there is use it to play songs on a bluetooth speaker while training. So probably not worth spending the money as the signal from the telephone (Included in my call package) is good enough and i seldom go over the limit.

If I move (and I will as this house is paid for by GF her company) I dont need 3 routers. In my old house owned by me by proxy only 2 floors i have no problems.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure but this is a rented house and I think i bought from the same supplier. Anyway if i need i i will buy an other Aimesh router. 

But its just for my gym and all i do there is use it to play songs on a bluetooth speaker while training. So probably not worth spending the money as the signal from the telephone (Included in my call package) is good enough and i seldom go over the limit.

If I move (and I will as this house is paid for by GF her company) I dont need 3 routers. In my old house owned by me by proxy only 2 floors i have no problems.

OK, a glue gun instead of clips.

Just now, KannikaP said:

OK, a glue gun instead of clips.

Sure but i would still need a wifi repeater then to put the cable in. Price with cable probably close to the 3500 i talked about. Because im not connecting a computer but mobile phones that play music on a speaker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure but i would still need a wifi repeater then to put the cable in. Price with cable probably close to the 3500 i talked about. Because im not connecting a computer but mobile phones that play music on a speaker.

You could give up the training !   LOL 555

Just now, KannikaP said:

You could give up the training !   LOL 555

I could, have for a few months but then i get stressed. Its for me a form of stress relief. Not getting any stronger or bigger (reached end of my potential). It also helps me to stay in shape and encourages me to have a better diet. So not a good idea.

Im blessed to have a home gym in these times. Its more that I normally like all my IT stuff to work perfectly but sometimes I have to think of money too. So for now ill keep the phone internet option its not bad. Was just a bit annoyed that it did not work. 

• Like 1