Farang ID while cycling

2old4fixies

I'm strongly considering moving to the Hua Hin area later this year as a newly-retired, first-time visitor to the kingdom.  What am I required to carry with me during those mostly sweat-drenched and sometimes rained-upon rides as far as passport ID is concerned?  Do farangs carry a paper copy of their passport or even the actual passport in some sort of case, or is their some credit card sized ID format that suffices as legal ID?  Am I misjudging the importance of carrying such identification in the first place?

• Like 1

Look at it this way. Even a Thai citizen must produce their original Thai ID card on request. They cannot produce a copy. If anyone of authority request your ID documents (passport) then you must be able to show them the original document and not a copy, but saying that it is up to the person of authority if they will accept a photo copy or not. Many foreigners take the risk by copying their passport information page, plus their visa, extension, entry stamp, departure card and either laminate the copy or some of them even reduce the size down to a credit card size for ease of carrying. But at the end of the day it is up to the authority on what they will accept. It is up to you if you want to take the risk but everyone in Thailand including Thai citizens must carry their original ID documents.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 2old4fixies said:

Am I misjudging the importance of carrying such identification in the first place?

I always carry in my wallet a copy of my passport photo/visa page and 90 check, [one A4 sht]

If they want to see my passport they can follow me home to view it.

• Thanks 1

In my cycling days in Pattaya, I have a laminated passport copy with entry stamp on back downsize at a photo shop to the size of a credit card.  On my bike I have a small waterproof pouch with tools and a extra tube for flats, Also with the Passport I.D. I have another laminated credit card size indicating if I'm in an accident to give a call to and indicate where to take me hospital.  I put all this stuff in a another small plastic pouch to keep it all dry.

I also use this method whenever I went out at night to the clubs particularly GoGo's and Happy ending places!????

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 2old4fixies said:

Do farangs carry a paper copy of their passport or even the actual passport in some sort of case, or is their some credit card sized ID format that suffices as legal ID?

Copy of you passport will normally do; i.e. the name & ID-page, and the page with your valid entry-stamp or extension of stay. You can have the photocopy laminated, or just use one of the water tight bags to hang around the neck. 

If you have Thai drivers license then that is also a valid ID, it includes either your passport number or your Thai ID-number, if you are registered...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

US has a Passport Card (see example picture) the size of a drivers license. Can not be used for 

travel outside N. America but has all the pertinent information as on passport and for ID purposes 

generally should be accepted for identification purposes. Costs an additional @ $30 USD when applying for regular passport...

12F64F58-C7B7-4790-AE36-BB1368407F46.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, anyone said:

omg... they need to catch you 1st
actually nobody cares 'bout you (dogs only)

Fair enough.  Again, I've never been to Thailand, I read their legalese, and have a question seeking answers from someone experienced in the subject.  NFG about anyone caring.

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

You dont need to carry ID with you all the time. 

The biggest threat when cycling are the roads and soi dogs!

Luckily, south of Hua Hin there are lots of cycle lanes so it is pretty safe. The routes are excellent and it is probably one of the best spots in Thailand for cyclists. 

Thanks for your answer.  I'm aware of the retractable whacking stick solution for dogs.  I've street-viewed most of Prachaup Kiri Khan, plus up north (CM + CR) where road cycling is more prevalent.  I'm realizing that a sealed copy of the passport ID page plus a passport card should handle it.  Thanks again.

8 hours ago, gbob said:

In my 11 years of cycling in Bangkok and now Chiang Mai, I have always carried a folded-up single page on which I have copied my passport page, visa page, latest entry stamp, and departure card (Form TM 6).  I just stick it in the same Zip-loc plastic bag that I carry my phone in.  Easy and good if there's an accident and you need to be identified.  You don't need to carry your passport.  In my riding time here, i have never been asked for or shown my passport while on the bike.  Enjoy the cycling down there! 

That's rockin' good news, thank you.  I'm sure once I arrive I'll figure it all out.  I know the biggest concerns are being rear-ended, stalk-robbed, and those yapping dogs.

8 hours ago, PolarAttack said:

People may say you don’t need to because they’re gotten away with it but if you’re looking for the correct answer, well it’s as follows.

Local laws in Thailand requires Thai citizens to carry their national identification card, so foreigners in this country are expected to carry identification in the form of a valid passport, explains Supasate Chokchai, the deputy commander of the Tourist Police Division.

Yes, that's what I based my question from.  I suppose also carrying "expedited fine payoff" cash might also work.  Once I get familiar with the vibe there I'll adjust accordingly.  I appreciate your cut-and-paste from the TPD.

8 hours ago, Presto said:

I am a cyclist, I have lived in Hua Hin for over ten years. With regard to what you have to carry: I have a Thai drivers license, its in my wallet, and i always take my wallet with me. There's also a health insurance card in there. Seems to make sense, when you're unfortunately not able to handle things yourself. I never take a passport anywhere, only for visa renewal and the 90 day notification.

Regarding safety, I'd say it very much depends on your experience and skills. Be alert at all times is probably the way to go, but then thats what I learned a long time ago. Roads are usually good, but I hate the bike paths that have been constructed here in the past years. They are narrow, and it's definitely not only bicycles that use them.  And because they are narrow, it's usually difficult if a car or another vehicle will cross that bicycle path, visibility you know, brushes are not cut here. Even when I'm in my car, I pay extra attention when I have to cross a bicycle path. I prefer the quiet back roads.

All the rest, soi dogs, potholes, i don't worry about all that too much.

Thank you for your opinion, very helpful.  Most of the roads west and south of Hua Hin look very appealing.  I road several thousands of miles throughout NYC, Phila, DC, always with a bar-end mirror, in all kinds of traffic.  Prefer not to be on multi-use paths and love the road.  Thailand and Malaysia's road surfaces for the most part look excellent - no freakin' snow plows to screw things up.  Maybe see you out pounding the pavement someday, so happy trails to you.

Just now, 2old4fixies said:

Thank you for your opinion, very helpful.  Most of the roads west and south of Hua Hin look very appealing.  I ridden several thousands of miles throughout NYC, Phila, DC, always with a bar-end mirror, in all kinds of traffic.  Prefer not to be on multi-use paths and love the road.  Thailand and Malaysia's road surfaces for the most part look excellent - no freakin' snow plows to screw things up.  Maybe see you out pounding the pavement someday, so happy trails to you.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This has changed from region to region and from time to time with announcements that ‘we’ (foreigners) do not need to carry our passports, but need to be able to present it within a ‘reasonable’ time frame if requested to do so. 

Usually, within a year another senior police officer of another province makes a contradictory announcement. 

There are a couple key facets to this issue: What the law actually says, and what happens. 

The Law:

'A person must carry government issued photo ID or have it presentable within a ‘reasonable’ time frame'

What happens:

While a Thai driving licence is not actually ID (its just a licence), it is accepted as ID by pretty much every policeman if you are stopped. 

IF a person does not have a Thai Driving Licence, a Photo Copy of his passport is accepted as ID by pretty much every policeman if you are stopped. 

Many guys laminate a copy of their passport (shrunk to Credit card size)

A Photo of your Passport / Entry Stamp / Visa Page on your phone is usually sufficient. 

IF an officer decides to be difficult, they can ask you to present your passport as a form of ID, in which case you may need someone who can collect it for you quickly. 

The Pink ID card (after getting a Yellow Tabien Baan house book) is probably one of the best forms of Government ID to use in Thailand as an alternative to carrying a passport. 

Note: Only Police officers of commissioned rank and Immigration Police are allowed to ask for your passport. 

(real world, try telling that to a non-commissioned officer if they are on a power-trip !)

Thank you so much for this, I greatly appreciate it.  I wasn't even aware of the "Pink ID" card so I'll look into it.