Farang ID while cycling

2old4fixies

11 hours ago, ericthai said:

used against me how??

Please tell me what is the sentence the court gives on this crime of not having your passport with you? Deportation? Jail? 

They might tell your mommy.... ??

I rarely carried mine even when travelling... 20+ year as well..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been cycling in Thailand for many years both mtn and road.  I've never been asked for ID by anyone when out cycling.  However, I do carry a copy of my passport and also an ID card from my home country.  On the copy of the passport I have local contact info as well.  I keep it in a ziplock bag along with my phone.

15 hours ago, 2old4fixies said:

Valuable advice and love the images.  I've been looking into retiring in Thailand for a few years now, and one of the first things I learned was to watch for those unfriendly runoff grates and mini-sinkholes in what appears to be otherwise glass smooth pavement.  I will make a point learn the roads like a golf green or a hidden lake shoal.  btw, these days, NYC is a ghost town, but crimes against people are way up.  I used to drive from suburban Phila to Ft. Lee, and gleefully do centuries down to Coney Island, back up through Queens to Astoria and over to Central Park before heading back to NJ, hop in the car and head back.  Just for the hell of it.  Knew all the safe places to pee in public without getting caught???? Ahh, those days have passed.

I'd say you have enough experience to adjust here quick enough! Some more tips; there is a Facebook group called Hua Hin Roadies. They do occasional group rides, so if you're into that ... (there may be more groups). If you're on strava, put 'Hua Hin' in the search box, and a long list of riders, and their rides, will come up. And lastly, a bikeshop I would recommend, a one-man repair shop: Basbike. On facebook ร้าน basbike. Or google Basbike Hua Hin. Khun Bas is a good guy.

• Like 1

I carry my Canadian drivers license, and a color photo copy of my current Passport with the Thai visa page also

photo copied. Only had to show my license one, and i asked if the officer wanted to see my passport, and they 

did not even want to see it. I had an international drivers license as well and when the police seen both it and my Canadian license, they

were more than happy to let me get on my way.

Thankfully I have found that most of the police in Hua Hin are very polite.  I always enjoy a large part of my vacation time

in the Hua Hin area, and ride a rental motorcycle around the area.

Geezer

L 11.JPG

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I carry my Canadian drivers license, and a color photo copy of my current Passport with the Thai visa page also

photo copied. Only had to show my license one, and i asked if the officer wanted to see my passport, and they 

did not even want to see it. I had an international drivers license as well and when the police seen both it and my Canadian license, they

were more than happy to let me get on my way.

Thankfully I have found that most of the police in Hua Hin are very polite.  I always enjoy a large part of my vacation time

in the Hua Hin area, and ride a rental motorcycle around the area.

Geezer

L 11.JPG

The Post is regarding bicycling. 

Nice photo by the way 

????

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2021 at 7:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The carry is not the issue... 

... The potential loss, it getting wet with sweat, rain etc is... 

There is great need to carry your passport around, the potential hassle of replacement by far outweighs any perceived risk of not carrying it and being stopped by that 1 police officer in Thailand who doesn’t accept an alternative. 

Question: Has anyone ever been stopped and an ID alternative to a passport (such as Driving licence, photocopy, Pink ID, Photo on Phone) not been accepted ?

The answer to your question is "YES" at a road block on highway 2 just south of Udon Thani when the police would not accept my Thai drivers license as Identification and told me that my only true identification is my original passport and I have confirmed this with Thai Immigration at Khon Kaen

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Why would I carry a phone if i'm not carrying passport or ID. Wouldn't know where to put it..... 

Because a phone is easy to carry. So you call someone that has the smarts enough to tell you where to put it......................................https://www.lazada.co.th/products/universal-waterproof-360-degree-motorcycle-bike-bicycle-phone-case-mount-holder-for-mobiles-i273503305-s433423340.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:13920044294!125392363912!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!433423340!122371842&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpreJBhDvARIsAF1_BU2UWZuBovTsoXmfHRRBd6jrzsvd77wVd0-DTxu00EXaCASMHZVbwpQaAsB2EALw_wcB

2 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

Any personal suggestions ???  The one you sent me can even be used next Songkran.. 55555

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Why would I carry a phone if i'm not carrying passport or ID. Wouldn't know where to put it..... 

I put my phone, insurance card and a key in this pouch which I clip to my waist 

Cheap from lazada, about 20 Baht each. I bought 3 and got free delivery. 

Its waterproof as well. 

IMG_20210901_171150.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Regardless of what the law says and whether or not the laws are enforced its a good idea to carry ID when cycling, if only in case of an accident.

I carry a laminated copy of my passport Bio Page, on the back of which is my wife's phone number and my preferred hospital (in Thai). I also carry my medical insurance card.

The one accident I've had I remained conscious but nevertheless had all the documents I needed to immediately be admitted and commence treatment at my preferred private hospital. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 9:08 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

I've been cycling in Thailand for many years both mtn and road.  I've never been asked for ID by anyone when out cycling.  However, I do carry a copy of my passport and also an ID card from my home country.  On the copy of the passport I have local contact info as well.  I keep it in a ziplock bag along with my phone.

It looks wise! I've never ever faced with it(Samui) and hope that I'll never! Btw, my cargo is arrived ???? Now I'm lucky owner of this monster! Let me know, who wants to ride someday! Cheers