British Passport. Who Can Afford To Be British Anymore?

Jesus, I just checked the British Embassy website and they're wanting 119 quid for a British passport!!!!!!!!!!! That's over 8,000 baht!!!

Thank God I have an American passport too cause I certainly won't be spending that kind of money to get another British passport. Guess I'm definitely officially American now.

No great loss! Last time I went to England last year, couldn't afford anything - it's now one of the most expensive countries in the world.

Sign me,

Glad to be American - Britain can go to hel_l

Jesus, I just checked the British Embassy website and they're wanting 119 quid for a British passport!!!!!!!!!!! That's over 8,000 baht!!!

Thank God I have an American passport too cause I certainly won't be spending that kind of money to get another British passport. Guess I'm definitely officially American now.

No great loss! Last time I went to England last year, couldn't afford anything - it's now one of the most expensive countries in the world.

Sign me,

I hope you're not in a McJob ! minimum wage in the good ol US of A, Five bucks an hour versus Ten in Britain. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Crikey! You worry about the cost of a passport that, when it comes down to it over ten years, works out at just over 2 Baht a day. No wonder you couldn't afford anything back in the UK sound like you're a candidate for skid row.

Same for Australian Passports.

Standard (32 pages)

Includes Diplomatic and Official Passports

A$193 Adult

A$96 Child

Frequent Traveller (64 pages)

If you are a frequent traveller you have the option to apply for a frequent traveller passport which contains twice as many pages compared to the standard passport. A higher fee is charged for a frequent traveller passport.

A$289 Adult = 8,019.75 bht

A$144 Child

Australian Passport Fees

Crikey! You worry about the cost of a passport that, when it comes down to it over ten years, works out at just over 2 Baht a day. No wonder you couldn't afford anything back in the UK sound like you're a candidate for skid row.

I got a new book last year (64 pages) & is 1/3rd full already thats gonna give me another 2-3 years. I wish it lasted 10 years. Philharries doesn't sound like he goes anywhere. Crikey he's lucky!

The other thing with the British Embassy is ,,,, last year i had to go there and cash a cheque for 100 pounds ,, they charged me 47 pounds out of the 100. this was a genuine emergency, i can understand a charge but this amount is well over the top

Whilst a UK passport issued outside of Britain might cost more than getting one at home, this extra cost goes towards a fund for helping us out if we have consular problems abroad. Considering that as, unlike Americans, we don't have to pay tax on ex-UK earnings, I reckon that's a comparative bargain.

Of course with the Scots Puritan now in charge back home, it is very possible that us expats might have to cough up in the future.

As a matter of note, if your UK passport is close to getting full, and you've got a couple of trips coming up whilst waiting for your new one to be issued, embassies are allowed to free up the last page in your passport for visa stamps. They'll put a line through the "This page is reserved for official observations..." line, and stamp it that it's now available for visas. I've never done it in Bangkok, but had it done in HK many times when I was going through one passport annually. Bear in mind of course that some places won't let you in without a full, free page in your passport.

An absolute rip off, pure and simple like everything else in the UK. How the f..k can they charge a hundred and odd quid for a little maroon book with a photo in? And we [myself included] go apeshit about being overcharged by 30 baht in a restaraunt!

Just wait until the ID card wheeze starts up. By Christ we will be paying dearly for that.

I got a new book last year (64 pages) & is 1/3rd full already thats gonna give me another 2-3 years. I wish it lasted 10 years. Philharries doesn't sound like he goes anywhere. Crikey he's lucky!

OK so it's 5 Baht a day, still not going to break the bank. I don't worry about occassional costs I look at the important drains on my pocket. If the OP had sounded off about the costs of accommodation, food, transport, entertainment, beer - you know the important stuff - I'd have sympathised. Besides which according to his other posting, link provided by SJ, he's offski and if he can't afford a new UK passport he certainly can't afford to live there. Even if the pp only lasts a year that's only 22 Baht a day, doesn't even get you the Bangkok Post.

You've blown 21 pages of yer pp in a year! That's impressive! :o

btw in the last year I've been to Viet Nam (1), Thailand (4), Philippines (1) and UK (2 but no stamp/visa required) so I guess I do need to get out more. That's the prob with this work thing, though I can afford to travel the client prefers I stick around.

Absolute stupid moan about a very necessary item…just like all the smart people who can’t be arsed to get a visa for Thailand

A Thai passport lasts ONLY 5 years and costs 1,500 baht I believe….inside Thailand.

So what’s the problem paying 180 quid for a 10 year passport issued outside the UK …..? You could always get on a flight and get one for less in the UK

It’s such a hard life…I am British and Very Happy to be so, whatever the cost

:o

"btw in the last year I've been to Viet Nam (1), Thailand (4), Philippines (1) and UK (2 but no stamp/visa required) so I guess I do need to get out more. That's the prob with this work thing, though I can afford to travel the client prefers I stick around. "

See Phil you are not going to the country with big stamps ;-)

India and Indonesia have used up pages in mine quite quickly - I do not get the non-imm B for Thailand either - that would be a waste of space.

Sign me,

This must be a new one. People who base their nationality on the cost of a passport. What about the Pledge of Allegiance and God Save The Queen?

Absolute stupid moan about a very necessary item…just like all the smart people who can’t be arsed to get a visa for Thailand

A Thai passport lasts ONLY 5 years and costs 1,500 baht I believe….inside Thailand.

So what’s the problem paying 180 quid for a 10 year passport issued outside the UK …..? You could always get on a flight and get one for less in the UK

It’s such a hard life…I am British and Very Happy to be so, whatever the cost

:o

It can also be extended for a further 5 years. Some countries can add pages too maybe it's time our countries took a leap forward. Maybe 2008 is ominious for this move (leap year).

Thai passports are still 1000baht plus postage if you do not want a second trip to collect

My wife was not given the option of a 5 year extension, she got a new Thai passport.

The price was 119 pounds

More than twice the price in the UK

According to the BBC UK passport prices have risen by 36%, 13 times the rate of inflation. :o

Sign me,

Even on a very basic salary as an American you have to be sending more than 119 pound (~$210) back to the States in taxes each year?

(Let alone 10 years of taxes seeing as the 119 quid passport does last for 10 years)

So being American costs you significantly more than being British.

German passport is "only" 50 Euro, first they tried to ask for 120 Euro, but they lowered the price for political reasons and are spending tax money because the creation (it's not only printing anymore) of a passport is above 50 Euro.

Do you really think you get all this biometric things for free.

We all have to pay for the <deleted>**ing Bush government with there insane security ideas.

I'm just waiting for the first passport with integrated Gigabit Flashchip that contains my whole DNS sequences, patient record and child photos from me, mom and dad.

OK so it's 5 Baht a day, still not going to break the bank. I don't worry about occassional costs I look at the important drains on my pocket. If the OP had sounded off about the costs of accommodation, food, transport, entertainment, beer - you know the important stuff - I'd have sympathised. Besides which according to his other posting, link provided by SJ, he's offski and if he can't afford a new UK passport he certainly can't afford to live there. Even if the pp only lasts a year that's only 22 Baht a day, doesn't even get you the Bangkok Post.

You've blown 21 pages of yer pp in a year! That's impressive! :o

btw in the last year I've been to Viet Nam (1), Thailand (4), Philippines (1) and UK (2 but no stamp/visa required) so I guess I do need to get out more. That's the prob with this work thing, though I can afford to travel the client prefers I stick around.

If I get two for my 2 daughters, they only last for 5 years - a lot more than 5 baht a day. 20,000 is a lot of money.

Sign me,

Enjoy paying US income tax no matter what country you reside in then..