Skytrain Smart Pass-offer Expiring?

tefoff

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed the red poster that has been put up on every BTS station, I think since the beginning of this week. If I have read it correctly, it is saying that the skytrain's discount ticket programme-the 30 day smart passes for both regular adult and student commuters, is expiring at the end of this month. The smart passes cost 600 baht for 30 trips, within the space of 45 days, and it cuts the price of each trip to 20baht. It's an especially good deal for people taking a 40 baht trip, but it also saves you money even if you take regular 25 baht trips. The red poster says you can keep using them until the end of June, but you can only purchase them until the 31st of May.

I'm not sure that they are revoking the scheme, because the original advertisements are still up, but this red poster seems to be saying otherwise. Even the tv programming in the carriages is still advertising the original offer. I asked one of the cashiers at the station, but she didn't really have the english or the knowledge to understand to my query.

If anyone has any info about this, that would be great.

Thanks in advance :o .

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed the red poster that has been put up on every BTS station, I think since the beginning of this week. If I have read it correctly, it is saying that the skytrain's discount ticket programme-the 30 day smart passes for both regular adult and student commuters, is expiring at the end of this month. The smart passes cost 600 baht for 30 trips, within the space of 45 days, and it cuts the price of each trip to 20baht. It's an especially good deal for people taking a 40 baht trip, but it also saves you money even if you take regular 25 baht trips. The red poster says you can keep using them until the end of June, but you can only purchase them until the 31st of May.

I'm not sure that they are revoking the scheme, because the original advertisements are still up, but this red poster seems to be saying otherwise. Even the tv programming in the carriages is still advertising the original offer. I asked one of the cashiers at the station, but she didn't really have the english or the knowledge to understand to my query.

They puzzle me too, but I think that BTS is switching from the magnetic flexi cards to rfid cards, as on the MRT not changing the 'promotion'.

Regards

Hi,

They puzzle me too, but I think that BTS is switching from the magnetic flexi cards to rfid cards, as on the MRT not changing the 'promotion'.

Regards

The old SMART card being replaced for a new SMARTER card :o

BTW why do the cards have to be SMART? I don't see anything smart about them :D

They are far more reliable and secure than the magnetic ones and THEORETICALLY you will be able to use the same card on the BTS and the Metro, assuming that is, the two companies can sort out a Central Clearing House system and a legal revenue-sharing agreement (don't hold your breath).

The old SMART card being replaced for a new SMARTER card :o

BTW why do the cards have to be SMART? I don't see anything smart about them :D

They are far more reliable and secure than the magnetic ones and THEORETICALLY you will be able to use the same card on the BTS and the Metro, assuming that is, the two companies can sort out a Central Clearing House system and a legal revenue-sharing agreement (don't hold your breath).

One problem that has been reported, and I possibly suffered from, is that rfid cards can cause problems with other mag stripes and or themselves. E.g. if you have MRT and a True E-purse in the same wallet they can give the MRT gates a real headache.

It's also alleged that rfid can cause problems with older mag-stripes. Don't know if that is true but do know I had to replace my venerable mag strip ATM card recently after it has spend time cosied up to my MRT one.

Regards