Transport Company to resume interprovincial bus operations

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What language would you use, if not English?

In Thailand? I use Thai unless the person's English skills are better than my Thai skills. Elsewhere English of course which is widely spoken but far from a universal language.

28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That is what my wife told me when I queried it with her.

OK. Hypothetical situation to ask your wife. A typical Thai woman, office worker, factory worker or farmer gets on a bus which has a few empty seats, some next to other Thai women, some next to Thai men and an empty seat next to a farang. Which seat does the woman take? And why?

1 hour ago, KeeTua said:

In Thailand? I use Thai unless the person's English skills are better than my Thai skills. Elsewhere English of course which is widely spoken but far from a universal language.

OK. Hypothetical situation to ask your wife. A typical Thai woman, office worker, factory worker or farmer gets on a bus which has a few empty seats, some next to other Thai women, some next to Thai men and an empty seat next to a farang. Which seat does the woman take? And why?

I don't deal with hypotheticals and I've had enough of this nonsense. English is used as the international language and is the most widely spoken in the world, as your own link said. I have no idea why you keep on about this. I'm guessing you might be American, as I've noticed several other Americans on here who keep on and on digging a hole for themselves. I have no idea why.

Mr Meeseeks, you forgot about how many people speak Chinese language, and even some of them talk more than one dialect of that

language. I think it may be on the list of international languages, as there are a lot of Chinese speakers who live out side of

China as well. I am glad to see that there is some king of transportation getting opened up so Thais and travelers

can travel around the country again.  Just wear your KN95 or N95 masks when travelling and you will be okay.  Right?

Geezer

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't deal with hypotheticals and I've had enough of this nonsense. English is used as the international language and is the most widely spoken in the world, as your own link said. I have no idea why you keep on about this. I'm guessing you might be American, as I've noticed several other Americans on here who keep on and on digging a hole for themselves. I have no idea why.

English as an international language is not something I'd disagree with but that English is a universal language, as you stated, is completely incorrect, there is a very distinct difference between the two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_language

What does my nationality have to do with asking you to back up your statement even partially? Looks like a failed attempt at deflection.

Your earlier post which is just false (to put it nicely):
"Common in Thailand, where the locals are terrified that you might start to talk with them in English if they sit next to you and they'll lose face by not understanding the universal language.."

16 hours ago, KeeTua said:

English the universal language? That may come as a shock to the 80% of people on the planet that don't understand English.

It isn't about numbers....... doubt I will need to talk to many of the billion rural farmers in China.....

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

Your earlier post which is just false (to put it nicely):
"Common in Thailand, where the locals are terrified that you might start to talk with them in English if they sit next to you and they'll lose face by not understanding the universal language.."

As I said, that is something my Thai wife told me, and I'd suggest that she knows Thais and the way they think better than you.

I'm now ending this pointless conversation. Going through the thread, I don't think anyone has agreed with you. That might tell you something.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Going through the thread, I don't think anyone has agreed with you. That might tell you something.

The possibility no one was agreeing with me on this topic doesn't surprise me at all. That's usually the case when I bother to post in the news forums, usually in defense of the Thai.

The popularity contest here is won by the relentless bashers of the Thai. They don't even bother with any kind of critical thinking or fact checking, they just start dishing out the insults. And the news translations are often done in such a way as to add more fuel to the fire. It really is a sad situation and one that ThaiVisa/AseanNow is famously infamous for.

I usually refrain from commenting in the news forums because of these things but when I saw your unnecessary and ultimately incorrect post insulting to Thais and their lack of English skills, in what should have been a harmless news article, I got the masochistic urge to post.

BTW the answer to my hypothetical question is the woman will take an empty seat next to another Thai woman of course. Second choice would be next to a Thai man (provided he didn't look to sketchy) last choice would be next to a farang. Its cultural and nothing to do with lack of English skills. The same woman even if fluent in English would be reluctant to sit next to a farang stranger as well. Goes for Thai men too, but its a toss up if they'll sit next to another Thai male before a Thai female but the farang will be the last option.

My final post on this topic. Have a nice day. KeeTua

Cannot wait to try the freezing movie theatre of Dreams that is the VIP bus to BKK.

It's rumoured in addition to many Thai VIP so TikTok influencers Hi-Sos Pojymen,Shidlobs etcthere usuall y a sprinling of ex SAS, Navy Seals and Spetnutz, Claudia Shifter, Dave Cupperfield, BobupandDowny Junior, The Afghan Finace Minister and Lord Lucan are regulars.Avoid Yuri Gellor unless you want bent spooning.