Will having a extension of stay based on volunteering..

Affect an application for a tourists visa in my own country?

I entered Thailand last year on a Non-B and due to Covid, ended up getting an extension of stay based on volunteering for 12 months from a visa agent 

(we all know how this extensions are obtained)

now I’m back in UK and looking to get back to Thailand for a visit. Will having that volunteer extension in my passport in any way preclude me from getting a 90 day tourist visa? Do they take a dim

View of these?

cheers

Edited by FridgeMagnet1

45 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What type of 'volunteering work' did you?

I doubt it will affect a tourist visa as it is not a long term visa like the rest.

As I say above (we all know how these extensions are obtained)

Does anyone have experience of having these extensions in your passport? I had expect questions at immigration when I left Thailand, but had none 

As a general rule, embassies/consulates have not the slightest interest in your history of extensions granted by Immigration in Thailand. Frankly, they usually only have the haziest understanding of Immigration's processes and rules.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

As a general rule, embassies/consulates have not the slightest interest in your history of extensions granted by Immigration in Thailand. Frankly, they usually only have the haziest understanding of Immigration's processes and rules.

Thanks BT!

The stamps aren't fake. Visa was issued by Thai immigration,  so you certainly won't have any issues obtaining a tourist visa.

However,  you might get questioned coming back into Thailand on a tourist visa after spending so long in the country.

There was a general crackdown on that before covid, and I would imagine that's still the case.

I arrived back last month on a TV,  after being out of the country for 18 months, and 2 immigration officers scoured through my history on their computer. They asked why I was here and for a contact in Thailand.  They were perfectly polite, but it was a bit unnerving. 

Make sure you've got your story straight.

2 hours ago, mockingbird said:

arrived back last month on a TV,  after being out of the country for 18 months, and 2 immigration officers scoured through my history on their computer. They asked why I was here and for a contact in Thailand.  They were perfectly polite, but it was a bit unnerving. 

I find that amazing. Especially after 18 months out of country.

To add to that you had tourist visa. Can't imagined why you were asked anything.

Having stated that, your advice re always have simple account (story) of your plans is good idea.

OP, your previous extension based on volunteering has zero to do with your tourist visa application.

BTW it gives 60 day permission of stay and you can obtain 30 day extension.

Advice....obtain full vaccination prior to travel to thailand.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I find that amazing. Especially after 18 months out of country.

To add to that you had tourist visa. Can't imagined why you were asked anything.

Having stated that, your advice re always have simple account (story) of your plans is good idea.

OP, your previous extension based on volunteering has zero to do with your tourist visa application.

BTW it gives 60 day permission of stay and you can obtain 30 day extension.

Advice....obtain full vaccination prior to travel to thailand.

Yea Jack,

I was surprised too. I put it down to the almost non existent passenger traffic at the airport giving them plenty of time to vet everyone thoroughly.

No idea why I had to give a Thai contacts mobile number, but like I say, they were quite polite about it.

I have no doubt that the pre covid clampdown on people deemed to be spending too much time in Thailand on tourist visas/visa exemptions is alive and well, and 2022 will see a return of the denied entry threads on this forum.

6 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

I have no doubt that the pre covid clampdown on people deemed to be spending too much time in Thailand on tourist visas/visa exemptions is alive and well, and 2022 will see a return of the denied entry threads on this forum

True......I've wondered about that. Guess it depends on future tourism levels.

They might want what they can get. Time will tell.

I hope it returns to some sort of normality for the sake of the thai that get money from tourism. Which is a LOT.