Car Suggestions

TheRascal

I own a hatchback and have rented sedans on trips. Definitely much easier to get things in and out of the hatchback. Never had a problem fitting buggies, toys, stuff in it. Someone sitting in the back seat can access the boot space from inside the car too. BTW, we own a Honda with a 3rd row of seats, which can be folded down to make the space larger.

Consider fuel consumption. I drove a friend's Fortuner (3L engine) on some long trips and while it was spacious, it also uses nearly 2x the fuel of many cars with smaller engines (1.5L).

Even though it's not the law here (or is but isn't enforced), invest in a good car seat. In our case we got one here locally that we used for the first year. After that we bought another one that could go from rear to front facing and eventually become a booster seat. Good brands, if available, are much more expensive here so maybe think about getting one when you're abroad or have someone bring it when they come to visit. 

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

• Like 1

If you can get an SUV.

Lots of room and storage for fun family trips.

You'll probably be hauling around Yai a few times and you'll be grateful for the room.

Great for family road trips and safer.

Great resale value.

On 9/1/2021 at 6:52 AM, LarrySR said:

All cars on your list are excellent choices.

The Honda Civic has remote start so you can have the air conditioning going a few minutes before you get inside. That's nice.

Civic has a large boot, holds the road well, fine on long journeys however is quite low so not idea if fully loaded around the waist line - male or female !!!!

Edited by Derek B
Clarification

Civic has a large boot, holds the road well, fine on long journeys however is quite low so not idea if fully loaded around the waist line - male or female !!!!

If planning a family and living in a big city a mid size SUV would be the way to go. Once you go past 3 kids you are looking at an MPV ( 3 kids equates to 2 kids & granny).

Thanks for everyone who's replied so far, a lot to take into consideration. 

I'm not hugely into cars so European brands seem overpriced, if you're into them for the love of cars then that makes sense but there doesn't seem to be a big benefit otherwise. 

Reviewing most of the European, American, Aussie and Asian safety sites it seems like the Mazda MX-5/MX-30 are very similar from a safety perspective to Volvos and Mercedes of a similar size or the Range Rover Evoque which was also suggested. Subarus also seem to perform well in safety tests as does the CRV (although not quite up there with the Mazdas). 

If the only option for a safe car was a European brand then I'd go for that but from research it doesn't seem like that's the case. 

On 8/31/2021 at 12:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You know that children's buggies are collapsible and will fit into any car, including the smallest of your choices?

Depends on the buggy some are quite big when folded.

21 hours ago, TheRascal said:

Thanks for everyone who's replied so far, a lot to take into consideration. 

I'm not hugely into cars so European brands seem overpriced, if you're into them for the love of cars then that makes sense but there doesn't seem to be a big benefit otherwise. 

Reviewing most of the European, American, Aussie and Asian safety sites it seems like the Mazda MX-5/MX-30 are very similar from a safety perspective to Volvos and Mercedes of a similar size or the Range Rover Evoque which was also suggested. Subarus also seem to perform well in safety tests as does the CRV (although not quite up there with the Mazdas). 

If the only option for a safe car was a European brand then I'd go for that but from research it doesn't seem like that's the case. 

There is also Mitsubishi, they have the Xpander, Pajero and Outlander in various options. My first Lancer from 2006 was sold to another expat and has done nearly 200,000 kms. On my second Lancer that dates from May 2014, and both have been ultra reliable. We have also have an Xpander and same applies.  

Edited by Anon999
Spelling srrors

17 minutes ago, Anon999 said:
On 8/31/2021 at 12:25 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You know that children's buggies are collapsible and will fit into any car, including the smallest of your choices?

Depends on the buggy some are quite big when folded.

The ones you have in mind must be gigantic.  Which folded single buggy is too big for even a small car?   Alternatively, which car, of the type the OP is considering, cannot accommodate a folded single buggy?

25 minutes ago, Anon999 said:

There is also Mitsubishi, they have the Xpander, Pajero and Outlander in various options. My first Lancer from 2006 was sold to another expat and has done nearly 200,000 kms. On my second Lancer that dates from May 2014, and both have been ultra reliable. We have also have an Xpander and same applies.  

I would ignore any manufacturer that thinks its acceptable to supply only 2 airbags in 2021 or only supplies the top of the range models with more than 2 airbags

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 6:29 PM, 3STTW said:
On 9/1/2021 at 5:50 PM, canthai55 said:

That's a load of cr*p! Not a single Ford mentioned - even when the Ranger scores higher than the Hilux.

The Perodua Myvi is an <deleted> deathtrap.

Obviously, the Ranger did not score higher than the Hilux, if it did it would have been there on the list!

"The Perodua Myvi is an <deleted> deathtrap".

Yet it scored better, i.e. safer, than the Ranger or the Hilux, or the Fortuner, come to that....

"The other interesting point is the Perodua Myvi’s very impressive score. It just edges out of the Top 10 but with 88.27 points obtained, it is the safest B-segment hatchback tested by ASEAN NCAP.

It not only beat its only B-segment rival which also scored a 5-star rating, the Toyota Yaris, by a huge margin, but it has also beaten bigger vehicles like the Toyota Innova, Isuzu D-Max, and the Nissan Terra. Yep, this also includes the Proton X50 despite it offering more advanced safety features".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 9/2/2021 at 3:14 PM, BTB1977 said:

Take a look at the Subaru. My daughter has two kids and It takes it all. Plus their very safe. Kind of like the Volvo of the Japanese car world. 

"Kind of like the Volvo of the Japanese car world".

Kind of like every car that meets the same international safety standards in order to be allowed on the roads!    

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 8/31/2021 at 11:27 AM, pedro01 said:

Something big would be my choice, like a Fortuner.

The amount if <deleted> you have to lug around when you have a baby is considerable.

Good luck!

Don't forget the stepladder!

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously, the Ranger did not score higher than the Hilux, if it did it would have been there on the list!

"The Perodua Myvi is an <deleted> deathtrap".

Yet it scored better, i.e. safer, than the Ranger or the Hilux, or the Fortuner, come to that.  

Not every vehicle is tested

In Ford's case they have submitted 3 vehicles

Ford Fiesta in 2012, Ford Everest in 2015 and Ford Ranger in 2015 

ASEAN NCAP members collectively decide which car will be selected for testing. Principally, ASEAN NCAP will select the most basic safety equipment version (variant) of any car available in ASEAN market.

https://aseancap.org/v2/?page_id=2941

26 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I would ignore any manufacturer that thinks its acceptable to supply only 2 airbags in 2021 or only supplies the top of the range models with more than 2 airbags

Easy answer is don't by the base models the choice is yours to choose the spec that you want

3 minutes ago, Anon999 said:

Easy answer is don't by the base models the choice is yours to choose the spec that you want

Xpander 2 front air bags no option for any more Xpander Cross 2 front air bags no option for anymore Pajero Sport only more than 2 airbags on the top of the range models

Just now, Anon999 said:

My 2006 Lancer was the Ralliart version and that had a big hit from a Isuzu pick up with a roo bar that jumped traffic lights. It was hit just behind the drivers side passenger door and spun round so the same place on the opposite side into a stationary Toyota pick up. Extensive damage but was restored back original. My current model is the Lancer Ex GT that gets 8/10 for safety

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Xpander 2 front air bags no option for any more Xpander Cross 2 front air bags no option for anymore Pajero Sport only more than 2 airbags on the top of the range models

Unless you have side impact bars extra air bags are not going to be much help. Ultra high tensile steel from the front to rear wheel arches on the floorpan and the bodyshell designed to rise in front of the windscreen are more important factors.

The Mazda CX-30 is an amazing car. Drives great, looks great, and is reasonable. Also, the quietest car I have ever encountered. Bigger than the sedans you mention. Likely better for a baby. If I could afford it, I would get the CX-5. It is ideal. As good or better than the CX-30, with alot more room. But, also quite a bit more expensive.

Mazda has really upped their game, and the new ones are exceptional. Much sportier than the Toyota or the Honda, which seem very, very boring by comparison. Also, the instrumentation, the lighting, and the info panel are light years ahead of either brand. The top model of either the CX-30 or the CX-5, is downright amazing. 

Edited by spidermike007