Heartbroken daughter desperate to fly bedridden dad home from Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

That depends. We do have some incredible and hard working people in the UK NHS, but the system is rife with bad decisions and (often fatal) errors. I have personally lost two people close to me who could have survived if mistakes weren't made in NHS hospitals. 

Throughout the pandemic it has been noticeable that once in hospital you were more likely to survive in other European hospitals than in UK hospitals. This is the closest I could find to evidence this after a quick search. The UK vying for 12th place with Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

So that guy was right ?

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

This is a terribly sad story. What makes it even worse is that this man's family seem to have exhausted all their life savings and probably gone into serious debt to keep him going and get him home. I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to ruin their lives. Surely at this stage it would be cheaper for the daughter to move to Thailand and get a carer in to help her look after him for however long he has left. 

Out of interest, what would happen to him if the hospital don't get paid any more money now? I assume they can't literally carry him out and leave him on the street. 

Well I"m sorry to say but what are they bringing back?  Now correct me if I"m wrong, but if his condition is as bad as it seems and there is no hope, isn't it better just to not be alive?  If I were in his shoes and what I wrote is true, I wouldn't want to be alive.

I'd rather stay in a country where I can have my life end rather than sit getting my nappies changed.  

Imagine living confused, angry, disoriented until you finally die of a bed sore and an infection.

Again, I could be wrong about his condition but let's say that it is hopeless.... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aussienam said:

Yet another sad story of expats who come here and turn a blind eye to the reality of the costs of aging and failing health. 

Since I have been here in LOS over the years, talking to retired expats, I have been shocked at the numbers who are dismissive at being adequately covered for health emergencies. 

Insurance costs and not being covered for pre-existing conditions is a biggie.  

But there they sit, heavily obese, drinking and smoking excessively, building up internal diseases, artery blockages, etc.  Ticking time bombs everywhere. 

And no way in hell they'll be able to afford medical costs and definitely no way to afford a medivac back to their home country.

I look at them sometimes and just think, "what in the hell are you doing? Don't you realise this is going to end really badly for you?" I suppose many just have a death wish.  

I know right?  IT's amazing to see people pounding beers back over and over again, day after day.  The thing is having a stroke is a horrible horrible horrible thing and so debilitating.  And if you get it and you can't get proper treatment in time, or if it's just bad your life as you know it is over.  

Its so important to take care of yourselves as you age, and I'm sorry to write this but it's just true.  

Uncle tom signing off... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Used to be a simple medical POA that outlined everything in what you call a directive. from what I see online.

In the jurisdiction where mine was drawn up, (I have had it notarised in Thailand) , it called Advance Care Directive, as POA only covers financial matters,( I have a POA with my lawyer and trusted family member for assets held off shore from Thailand, if urgent action required, they contact me and act on my behalf),  guardianship (medical) refers to where one lives etc when not able to make such decisions. Called different things in different jurisdictions 

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Screaming said:

And this is the reason that the Thai Immigration is requiring expats to have health insurance. I do feel sorry for him but his predicament is by his own choosing. We as expats are being critically reviewed because of the few that do not pay their medical bills.

It is not obligatory for those on marriage extensions nor Non-Imm-O based retirement extensions. The policies required are far from comprehensive. I have seen many that would not even cover 1/3 rd of the daily  ICU cost in the BHP. 

A cynic might say it is about generating revenue for Thai companies. 

4 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

It depends where you're from I guess. For me it's perfectly possible to be insured for a reasonable amount no matter how old I get. I know 'old' people who sorted all this out just fine.

I'd be interested to know where and how. I'm UK resident, admittedly in my 70s but with no significant health issues and recently sought a number of quotes from UK companies for a 3 month trip. They typically came in at around £1,200. You may consider that reasonable but for most people £100 per week is expensive.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

For elective surgery in the UK, yes but emergency surgery is still in place and busy.

But there is real concern about the increasing delays in diagnosis, even for potentially serious conditions such as cancer. And without prompt diagnosis there will be no surgery. Also the latest news is that basic blood tests are having to be put off due to a failure to obtain the necessary sample tubes. The NHS so often seems to be on the edge of disaster.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:24 AM, djayz said:

27 thousand quid for an operation!?!? Surely that must be THB 27,000, no? 

"£27000 would not surprise me with the money grabbing doctors here in Thailand. This Cvirus has brought out all the greed in the Thai hospitals, especially when you look at the cost of a test if you want to leave the country. Combine the cost of hospital treatment with the cost and legal jargon of the insurance companies, it is no wonder so many farangs don't have medical insurance.

20 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He might be entitled to palliative care...

• palliative care services provided by a registered palliative care charity or a community interest company.

If all he has is a UK state pension, they cannot bill him at all, unless he has private pensions or a certain amount of savings.

18 hours ago, Screaming said:

And this is the reason that the Thai Immigration is requiring expats to have health insurance. I do feel sorry for him but his predicament is by his own choosing. We as expats are being critically reviewed because of the few that do not pay their medical bills.

How many Thais have been getting free hospital treatment in the UK paid for by the UK taxpayer? Thais should keep that in mind before they complain about a very small minority of farangs not paying for their hospital treatment.

18 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Very good treatment and service in a Thai private hospital and amazing value for money. However, some retirees live here because they cannot afford to live in their home Country paying Council Tax and enormous Winter gas heating bills out of their meagre Government pensions. These are the retirees who use visa agents because they don't have 800,000 baht to show for their retirement extensions. They never had to pay for medical treatment at home and never made any provision. The cost of your operation would be beyond their means.  

If I was an OAP living in the UK, there is no way I would be paying any council tax out of a meagre state pension. I would go to jail first as they cannot touch my state pension.

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If I was an OAP living in the UK, there is no way I would be paying any council tax out of a meagre state pension. I would go to jail first as they cannot touch my state pension.

Don't pay the taxes and rates, they can seize your property and auction it to pay for those taxes

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

I'd be interested to know where and how. I'm UK resident, admittedly in my 70s but with no significant health issues and recently sought a number of quotes from UK companies for a 3 month trip. They typically came in at around £1,200. You may consider that reasonable but for most people £100 per week is expensive.

Have you looked at The Post Office travel insurance? If you have no health issues you can get an instant quote online.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-insurance/single-trip

75 year old, no health issues, 2,000,000 GBP cover from 134 GBP for 1 month (125 GBP excess).

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Have you looked at The Post Office travel insurance? If you have no health issues you can get an instant quote online.

75 year old, no health issues, 2,000,000 GBP cover from 134 GBP for 1 month (125 GBP excess).

Or £386 for up to 90 days.

• Thanks 2

On 9/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, ignis said:

Just ignore insurance ? some of us have to

If he was a diabetic already then insurance would have been no use, as this would be classed as a pre existing condition therefore not covered.

No one is forcing anyone to have insurance, but don't complain when it all goes wrong and one needs hundreds of thousands of baht for an op, and definitely don't start asking other people to give you money for it.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

How many Thais have been getting free hospital treatment in the UK paid for by the UK taxpayer? Thais should keep that in mind before they complain about a very small minority of farangs not paying for their hospital treatment.

Should only be the ones paying NI.

6 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Thank you for that; it was very helpful However, it still leaves a problem for anyone wanting to stay on a retirement visa. As far as I can see non of the approved companies on the official list are prepared to issue new policies to the over 70s, thus excluding many of the the very retirees the O-A and O-X visas were intended to attract. Can any one advise where an annual policy is available in Thailand for the over 70s, preferably at a price that isn't bankrupting? 

2 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Thank you for that; it was very helpful However, it still leaves a problem for anyone wanting to stay on a retirement visa. As far as I can see non of the approved companies on the official list are prepared to issue new policies to the over 70s, thus excluding many of the the very retirees the O-A and O-X visas were intended to attract. Can any one advise where an annual policy is available in Thailand for the over 70s, preferably at a price that isn't bankrupting? 

I stayed in LOS on a medical insurance issued in home country, and renewed yearly from overseas. I had to pay more for being old but better than nothing.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, Burma Bill said:

As a diabetic, especially an insulin dependent one like me, very difficult to get life insurance - if at all! I tried on several occasions when I was living in Thailand without success. I was also refused medical/health insurance. All I could purchase was accident insurance but not here in Cambodia, where I now live, as I am too old at 77 and I was also refused Covid-19 insurance. So now I am uninsured, having to pay, where required, from my personal funds.

My goodness..all the very best!

In 2017 I was deemed to be not fit to fly-malignant melanoma-but finally made it home under my own steam.A very dicey business,indeed.

Obviously still alive but as The 'Iron Duke' once said "A very near run thing"

Life without insurance/overpriced/constricted by pre-existing conditions/age can be very worrisome.

Take care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2021 at 2:29 AM, Henryford said:

If he ever got back to the Uk and went in a NHS hospital that would finish him off.

You say that....I've had great care from the NHS, including removal of a brain tumour pre-C19. Cost me nothing, performed by a leading surgeon and the post-care was very good.

I'm also on TRT and again, I pay nothing.

I pay plenty of tax so I'm not freeloading, I just get fed up of reading people peristently running down the NHS. 

Sure, it has lots of problems, not least the excessive bureaucracy and variable standards. But I've talked to plenty of Thai friends and the reports of public hospitals are far from stellar there. A common complaint being people going to queue up first thing in the morning to see someone and waiting for hours. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2021 at 7:24 AM, djayz said:

27 thousand quid for an operation!?!? Surely that must be THB 27,000, no? 

It would be cheaper if India  2500 to 4500  US  for single chamber....  Malaysia bit more expensive

Edited by fredscats

On 9/1/2021 at 4:05 AM, bobandyson said:

That poor guy in Khorat a few months on got around 2,000 pounds on a Gofundme page the last time I looked.

He was about the same age and was stuck with hospital bills and his family back home trying to raise funds.

This is one reason I want to see my final days back home in the UK.

I don't fear death. It's the dying part I don't care for........especially if it's long, painful, slow and costly and inconveniences family.

On my regular Thailand visits, in particular Samui, I noticed several elderly guys with gf/companions/carers looking after them part or full-time. They could be taken around town, dropped off by bike to meet others for a beer once or twice a week etc. Seemed a much better way to see out your final days than being stuck in a miserable care home in the UK or wherever costing £££.

However, if you do get seriously ill then Thailand doesn't seem the place to be really unless you can finance yourself and have people around you who genuinely care about you. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 2