Box Jellyfish: Nets installed at Chaweng and Lamai on Samui in wake of tourist child death

webfact

I was diving around the islands off Koh Phi Phi in the  mid 90's. On one dive with an Aussie dive master, only the two of us, we came across a small box like jellyfish. She told me that she was pretty sure that it was an Irunkanji and poisonous. I had never heard of them before. Name always stuck with me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, LivinLOS said:

Because Box jellys are a rising issue with warming waters.. They were not sighted a couple of decades back, very very rare a decade back, and hence its a rising problem. 

Yes they were, as already pointed out. Local fisherman and older local people are very well aware of box jelly fish. They have seen them around Samui waters since very long times. Most incidents 'back in the day' were not recorded, or at least not as box jelly stings.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 1:39 PM, kwilco said:

How are the nets in Chaweng....and the vinegar stations?

There used to be a net at Ozone, not sure if it is still there. In Lamai there is a net at Lamai Kwanta.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 12:40 PM, phetphet said:

I was diving around the islands off Koh Phi Phi in the  mid 90's. On one dive with an Aussie dive master, only the two of us, we came across a small box like jellyfish. She told me that she was pretty sure that it was an Irunkanji and poisonous. I had never heard of them before. Name always stuck with me.

There is lots of footage of box jelly around Sail Rock and Koh Tao on YouTube.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, limbos said:

There used to be a net at Ozone, not sure if it is still there. In Lamai there is a net at Lamai Kwanta.

I think you mean the Lamai Wanta which has now been renamed the Hive.  The net has been removed.  It was there 2 weeks ago but last time I walked the beach it had gone

• Like 1