Best way to protect new TV

dannyb123

I'm spending far too much time at home these days so I bought an overpriced oled TV but im also having regular issues with the power and concerned one day it's going to break the damn thing.

What's the lowest cost / best way to protect it? (Apart from not using it) Thanks!

Edited by dannyb123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dannyb123 said:

Can brown outs damage it? 

If it has a "universal" (90-250V) power supply probably not, but brief blips in the power are annoying and a UPS is cheap insurance.

What are the actual issues with your power?

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

A good quality surge protecting power strip and an antenna surge protector will get you started.

Add to those a cheap UPS if the issues are with brown outs or brief cuts.

What does the antenna do these days?

I have a voltage regulator box with a CAT 6 network in/out, plus a surge protector on my Consumer unit.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Been there and done it, even though my tellies are 10 years old!   Protects the PCs as well. LOL

• Like 1

I have my LG C1 OLED behind a good quality UPS (uninterruptible power supply). No burn in whatsoever after 18 months of intensive use, both watching TV and computer gaming. I do use it in a darkened room, so never have the brightness cranked up to maximum.

While on TV subject... if you ever think of buying TV with curved screen be aware unless they’ve 

Improved design the screen cracks extremely easy. I bought one as a gift to my sister in law and

husband got to their house they took it out of the box and tweaked it slightly screen cracked, 

i took it back to store... asked if before paying it was taken out of and turned on .. no screen

problems.. none. Was told unfortunately can not get a refund only way I’d try with manufacture

whose brand is top or one of the top curved screen manufacturers. The store manager whom 

I’ve known 6+ years said they try to ver customers away from any brand curved screen because

high rate of breakage and no refunds from or ultimately manufacture..

Read up before you buy.. 

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

While on TV subject... if you ever think of buying TV with curved screen be aware unless they’ve 

Improved design the screen cracks extremely easy. I bought one as a gift to my sister in law and

husband got to their house they took it out of the box and tweaked it slightly screen cracked, 

i took it back to store... asked if before paying it was taken out of and turned on .. no screen

problems.. none. Was told unfortunately can not get a refund only way I’d try with manufacture

whose brand is top or one of the top curved screen manufacturers. The store manager whom 

I’ve known 6+ years said they try to ver customers away from any brand curved screen because

high rate of breakage and no refunds from or ultimately manufacture..

Read up before you buy.. 

And if, like me, you sit directly in front of the screen, you cannot see if it is curved or not.

I read that they (Samsung & LG) are phasing them out.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, Crossy said:

Receives local digital terrestrial TV and those ruddy Thai soaps to keep Madam happy ???? 

I have noise-cancelling headphones so I can enjoy the cricket in relative peace!

If I may suggest, give the headset to the misses...... Not sure it'll work...????????????

On 9/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, bankruatsteve said:

The contemporary TV's are pretty good at protecting themselves.  While the above can and do help to prevent the more insidious events, the TV will shut itself down if voltage goes too high or low.

This is true.  I lived in an area of Bangkok with very "dirty" power: very noticeable surges and drops and never had any issue with any LCD or LED TV in over 15 years. Not premium brands: Sharp, LG, TCL. 

Probably your best bet is a UPS, so when the power surges or cuts off suddenly, it just switches over to the battery, they often have surge protectors built in also. The only issue with UPS's is the lead-acid batteries don't last very long, at least the ones I have hooked up to my PC's at home and in office. Every 6-9months or so, they'll start beeping and I switch out the batteries, though I've kind of given up.

What would be great if there was an affordable lithium ion UPS, but I haven't seen consumer ones available.

I just have my TV's plugged into the wall, including my 83"er, never an issue, but i'm in central BKK and my power is fairly stable, I've got a good power mains box too that will just switch off if there is a surge.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Same in my Thai sons' house. His rule: Thai soapies absolutely not allowed.

His daughters don't have TV in their rooms and are not allowed to be in their rooms watching anything on their phones.

Soon after son made this rule his defiant/ demanding mother in law (MIL) came to visit and insisted on watching her soapies on the 50" in the living room. 

Son switched the TV off with the remote. MIL turned it on. Son pulled the TV elec. cord out of the electric strip board. MIL plugged it in again and switched the TV on. 

Son got his MIL's, his wife's and daughters attention, then he pulled the TV cord out again, then pulled a big set of pliers out of his pocket and cut the plug off the elec. cord that goes into the TV. 

He put the now separated plug in his pocket also the remote control and disappeared back to the kitchen to get on with his cooking.

Five  minutes son got a call from his brother in law (calling from Sth. of LOS) insisting that he have more respect for his MIL.

Son's response; "It's my house, I make the rules, if any of you folks come to my house you respect my rules, or don't come here, bye".

MIL fumed then packed her bag and told her daughter (sons' wife) to drive her to the bus station..

She didn't visit again for about 6 months, and never again tried to insist on anything. Plug had been replaced on the big TV cord, she never again tried to have any influence on what programs are showing on the TV.  

Mrs Dog bought an inexpensive TV for MIL to watch garbage in her room when she is staying with us.  Problem solved without irate calls from my BIL.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Mrs Dog bought an inexpensive TV for MIL to watch garbage in her room when she is staying with us.  Problem solved without irate calls from my BIL.

Good point, irate calls from BIL happen regularly and regularly ignored. 

• Like 1

Thai soaps and banal game shows drive me up the wall, we have a TV in the bedroom which the mrs uses to watch that rubbish on, we have an Android TV in the lounge which I use for watching TV series, movies & listening to BBC Radio 2 on when I have stuff on catch up. ????