Struggling with Thai staff

biggest problems in Thailand is the fact there is no work ethics, many simply want to do as little as possible. My wife after university got a job with a Japanese company, they sent her to Japan for 6 months to learn all aspects of the business. She eventually left the company(Bangkok) to move back closer to home(Surat Thani) where she became the manager of a large export company. Her work ethics are that of the Japanese but she has a lot of trouble with many of the workers/laborers they employ as they dont have the same work ethics although she has trained the office staff to have her work ethics and they do a great job. Many thais also do not like taking responsibility for anything which is why its hard to find good higher level workers/managers as well, they like the more important positions but do not want to have to think about everything that is being done let alone being responsible for the workers under them. Adjusting to the way thais see work etc is all you can do, maybe do a western thing and have them sit for a writen exam  then the ones that pass have to sit with you in a discussion of what they will be doing and explaining how they would go about it, get them to show if they have the talent/ability to do the job before hiring them

Thx for all the comments and advice so far. I am glad that I am not the only one who has this problem.

So...I will try and hire from non-elite universities and also write a step by step guide for each position.  Hopefully this improves things.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the high turnover of staff. They seem to resign or just not rock up to work for no apparent reason. 

18 hours ago, Farmer007 said:

The other thing I forgot to mention is the high turnover of staff. They seem to resign or just not rock up to work for no apparent reason. 

I agree with the written job descriptions, explain all details at every step and what to do when encounter problems so they know what are required of them to perform their tasks. This probably filters out unqualified people in the first place. As you mentioned it, wait staff have a lot more duties than just serving food. So when they apply for the job they would know what they have to do. This is also Australian's public service practice as well, at least in NSW. Every position has job description outlines what employees are expected to do, and for some duties have manual specify what and how to do things.

Maybe you should consider having (a) consultant/s to manage workforce especially your business that has been in existence in Thailand for nearly 5 years and have high staff turnover rate.

Who selected your Thai employees in the management positions? You, a farang?

I think it it difficult to impossible for a farang to select Thai people who should not only work with you but should work together.

As far as I see the best approach is that you have one senior Thai "partner". It should be an "older" Thai with a good education and possibly good family background who you can trust. And that person should then select the other Thai employees.

That will make sure that the team works together and they fit together. One example is the university. It seems in many companies all employees come from the same university. Like: we are a club and we don't want outsiders.

The problem is obviously that you really have to trust the key Thai person. And sometimes you will have to force yourself to shut up and let it go and let the Thais handle things how they handle them.

Good luck! It's not easy.

• Like 2

Sad to say Thai education is bad to begin with, they lack the drive, knowledge, and work ethic. Your average college grad here is comparable to a high school student  in other develop countries.

I have a staff of over 200 as well. It takes a lot of training to get them in the right mindset, a lot of re education to rid of bad habits. Having yearly audits helps a lot. They need regular praises to give them a confident boost for improving, at the same time can’t be lax on them as bad habits will sneak back in and they start to become lazy. Team building and company events gives them a sense of belonging in the company.

It’s a continuous process, been here over 30 years. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Farmer007 said:

Thx for all the comments and advice so far. I am glad that I am not the only one who has this problem.

So...I will try and hire from non-elite universities and also write a step by step guide for each position.  Hopefully this improves things.

A university grad is just like a high school student with a little more knowledge. Believe me work experience is the best. If you have a high turnover look at your On The Job training system, and don't be in a hurry to blame the young staff.

With the number of employees you have, you must be doing something right!

What is it that your company does?

Where is your company located?

You wrote-

What gets me is the mentality of most university graduates that have zero ambition nor the initiative to think for themselves, refering to taking charge in the position they are employed in. I find myself having to micro-manage every single little aspect of the business.

//

Seems like you need someone to help you develop a hiring process that helps to do away with this kind of disappointment. 

I, and or one of my colleagues could likely help...

In regard to "high turnover" hard to have any idea without a fairly deep conversation.

Send me a message if you like....

Regards,

Charlie

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Hire women

So true.

The girls work harder, are usually more loyal and 'sometimes' think outside of the box.

Older women - not straight out of uni.

I hired an ex-bar girl from Isan (mid thirties) as a cleaner and she became my manager as the business grew. Zero qualifications but a hard worker. Could speak good English (self taught) but could not write it.

Sadly she died.

Generalisations are not always a good thing but - city girls expect respect. Country girls earn it.

• Like 2

I think I need to clarify some things:

1. Graduates are employed in key positions because they have specific scientific skills the farming business requires. I have poached skilled staff from other companies but most tend to last 2 years or less. I can spot a serial job-hopper easily now. 

2. I employ mostly women

3. This is an international company with international values and the shareholders have specific expectations from senior management staff.

4. The business is farming. It is modern, science-based and intensive. 

5. We do have a Thai partner (group), all internationally educated and years of experience working abroad. HR issues in Thailand are probably Thailand's biggest hurdle to become competitive...words out of their mouths.

I like the 50m walking analysis. I will lock up the ATV's and see how it plays out.

one problem i think is 

"i micro manage"    teach them  and then its sink or swim but always give them a chance to ask questions and learn more than what you say  ..

you teach/instruct one way  english? they think and work another ... thai  much different 

in usa my biz had  a   one in 34 chance of a good employee .... note  good is relative  leaders/followers/grunts .. lots of different positions to fill .. 

I used to ponder about the Thai Workforce and it took me years to figure it out. I worked d in a Regional. Tech Company as the Country Manager for 6 years; then worked as the only Farang in a Thai Beer Company for 10 years as a Consultant. Productivity is not in the Thai Vocabulary. They are paid small salaries because it takes 10 of them to do the job of one normal western worker. They are educated in an environment where Critical Thinking does not exist. They can't think outside the box. The most important aspect of any Thai office is the social network.; Lunch and Birthdays are important social occasions. 

Edited by DEEP STATE
  • Like 2

I started at the bottom, of course when I join the Military as a enlisted personal. Work hard and asked a lot of question. Forced to retire due to time in service and age, but that was when the service were drawing down. Retire top enlisted grade as a E-9; 30 Plus years service and can say enjoyed my work the full time. Move from overseas posting directly to Thailand, promised the wife once retire I would bring her home. Did not think it would be as hard as it was to fine work here, Thai laws on foreign employment. Took 2 1/2 yrs to finely to get hired, and started at the low end of the pole, doing the same kind of work that I did when I joined the service. But was happy just to be working again. Used the same system that I used in the service work hard and ask a lot of questions. In less then a year two manager jobs both open at the same time, one was Division manger pay grade 9 and the other section office Supervisor pay grade 7. Everyone in the office thought that would put in for the position in the office I was working in, the grade 7. I went for the top as I knew I could do it and do really great job, as it was a lot less then I had been doing for my last ten years in the service. Got the job, was up against one lady that had be doing the same job as section supervisor at different company put same job and bout the same pay, just what to move up to the hirer pay. Once picked for my new portion my new boss asked me if I thought she would be a good candidate for the other supervisor opening and I said yes, she new the job and presented herself as a I can do person, so she was asked if she wanted the job and she said yes and was hired, Why would she take the job, work location and office were much better then were she was already working at. 

How we come to my 14 Plus years work at the Thai job. First I was the first Western that the company ever hired  in country. I knew how to interview and hire been doing it for many a year, but never in Thailand. Short learning curve, just applied what I already new. I agree Thai Lady's are much better workers and supervisor's then Thai men. When I start all but one of the different section supervisors were men. When I retired all were Lady's. I normally sat in on all hiring interviews with the direct person who the candidate would be working for and one other supervisor. I review all applications before hand and picked what I though were the top ten and then set up interviews for the top five. All three of us would have a copy of their applications and would ask different types of questions. I only hire one person that I had not seen doing there job before. We tried to hirer from within, or people we saw doing their work at another company.  One thing that was a killer on job application for me was having worked for to many different companies in a three year time. Another was what college had they attended. I had three types of employee's Labor, Team leaders some college and Supervisors in some kind of office field Degree. I hired people who worked as guards, waitress, and office works. When I left all of my supervisors ( all lady's ) had finished their Master programs.  One had started as a guard and one was the waitress.