How many of you actually use the pool

bolt

In my condo complex the pool is at not Covid times mostly used by people that are a kind of hotel guests. They stay in rooms others rent out and we all have to pay for it. The pool and the pool area has to look perfect for these hotel customers and so an external company does the daily maintenance. Not many other owners use the pool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Good question with lots of variables to help to define an answer.

How many of you?

How old? (Older folk - resistance and stamina training is good.)

Do you have children? How old?

Do you have visitors? With families? Neighbours etc?

I built my pool for my wife. Sadly she died before it was finished. In the previous house she would swim in the pool regularly and frequently.

Friends and family visit - all use the pool - I do not. My company manages pool villas and we have to maintain 45 of them! ????

I jump in the pool to cool down usually after I have cooked on the BBQ. I am in for 10 mins max. About once/twice a month on average. Mostly in the hot season - rarely in Oct - Jan. ????

Neighbours that do not have a pool use mine. (Cheaper!)

Of the 45 villas, roughly half are rental. Pools used all of the time - even on one year/long term rentals.

The rest are owner occupier or 'snowbirds'. Most use the pool.

If the pool is only for you then the maintenance is a pain in the buttt.

At the end of the day, it is down to you. Do have have friendly neighbours (like me ????) that would let you use their pool?

If you are ever on Samui, you can always use mine. ????????

Sounds like your pool has a very positive effect on your social life ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bolt said:

I’d like one for exercise, but I’m worried I won’t really use it once the novelty wears off. at the moment we dont' plan to sell the house so we're not looking for a pool to help with the value.

I do not think that an enquiry can help you to know (or persuade you) how you will make use of your pool. Will majority of lazy people make you lazy either? Or when many will say (as myself) I swim twice a day each 20 - 30 minutes, will you do the same?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I use it daily, but I'm living in a Condo with a 50m pool (most of the time only used by me).

Friends owning homes with "pools" seized like bigger bath tubes don't use them very often. Imho they're not worth the costs and maintenance in the long run. Better to have a nice jaccuzi.

More like 25m 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, when I built the house it was considered. When I weighed up the cost of install, the running cost, cleaning filters etc. Weighed against the cost of using a local pool for 20 baht, and how many times on average, it was clear it was a waste of money for us.

That said, I know of those that did, and later in life swimming became a neccesity as a form of suitable exercise, for them, its used daily and its more convenient.

Everyone has different needs and uses. Last time I went to a local hotel to swim was over a year ago so not a big user.Would I use it more if it was in the garden?, possibly once a week if that.

Prefer to ride the bike ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Four times a day.

Run 4k then ride 5k in the morning, swim. Repeat late afternoon and swim twice during the day.

Wow! You are my hero.

I swim about an hour in the morning, jump in sometimes in the heat of the day and use it again when I come out of the squash court at 7pm. And my son loves it very much, sometimes invites some classmates to have fun together. So for me it's worth to have it.

• Like 2

Some great comments here, and of course we’re all different

My wife and I and relatively young, I’m 51 she’s 46 we have 2 girls with us 24 and 7. The youngest will use the pool until she gets to about 10-11 then will focus on getting her skin whiter ???? so I don’t think shell use it much after that.

I really need to us a pool to stay fit, and I’ll probably install one but I was trying to get a feel for people who actually have and use one.

My thoughts before posting were, approx. 25% use the pool and other 75% don’t use them enough or kind off wish they never had them.

Size matters also i think they need to be at least 10m in length to swim, not just cool down.

we're looking at building 2022-23 so still have time 

7 minutes ago, bolt said:

I really need to us a pool to stay fit, and I’ll probably install one but I was trying to get a feel for people who actually have and use one.

It's OK if an enquiry how people use their pool. However, not to make your decision according to the enquiry outcome whether to built or not. Yes, the pool is the best for keeping fit, especially for older people. Surely more convenient than the gym machines. 

And of course it will need certain maintenance, not so difficult when being around. To build it and to maintain it in Thailand is much easier than in other cold (and rich) countries.

Have a pool for about 12 yrs now and use it daily, around the year (a little fresh in the winter months). Keeping me fit and on warm days gives a very refreshing feeling on the afternoon.

The pool, 10 M long and 5 M wide, with a sun roof, good enough for swim exercise.

Maintenance is not that bad: daily 10 min. for filter cleaning, weekly 1 hr for vacuum and water refill/water conditioning checks, each fortnight a shock-dosing with chloride, every 4 days add a Ch-tablet in the skimmer. 

Would not want to miss my pool.  

Edited by ardsong
add some info
  • Thanks 1

Houses I owned here all had a pool but after first year or so here I never really used them . They look good and make selling a property easier than one without I suppose but the cost of running it , chemicals, replacing blown lights , pump and filter repair or replacement costs I don’t find it worth it . They are good if you have kids or people round a lot but I actually just prefer sitting in the jacuzzi. Haven’t been in pool in over a year and it’s mostly used by local birds for a wash or my dog as a drink bowl ! 

• Like 1

It's one of the great things of Bangkok condos that very few people use the pool.  I swim almost every day at dawn and I almost always have the twenty-five meter pool to myself.  Quite a luxury especially when I read of swimmers at public pools in the US who often have to share a lane.

I like to go out about ten minutes before sun up when there is just enough skylight to see what I'm doing.  It's especially invigorating in Dec. and Jan. when the water can get pretty cold.

• Like 2

if your pool is small, this is ridiculous to exercise, better not pay for one. Most people have useless pools.

If you really want to train, live in a condo with a very big pool and never stop using it from the first day.

People who tell you that they really exercise in a small house pool are pure liars.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, thefactoryoutlet said:

if your pool is small, this is ridiculous to exercise, better not pay for one. Most people have useless pools.

If you really want to train, live in a condo with a very big pool and never stop using it from the first day.

People who tell you that they really exercise in a small house pool are pure liars.

Aeras has two pools and even before lockdown I was the only one swimming out of 40 floors. This morning on the 5th floor pool at 11-12, no one but me, no one in fitness. And we're accused of spreading the virus. Let the condo make the rules. Exasperated. Lucky for them I am not in Bangkok.

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Four times a day.

Run 4k then ride 5k in the morning, swim. Repeat late afternoon and swim twice during the day.

I used to overdo it too----until it adversely affected my heart. Watch this video as it may prevent you from cutting years off your life.

• Thanks 1