Immigration releases Phuket Sandbox stats

webfact

pk.jpg

Photo: PR Dept

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The Immigration department has confirmed the latest Phuket Sandbox figures as part of a report issued today (Sept 5).

The report stated that there have been 28,197 arrivals so far under the sandbox scheme since its launch on July 1.

It added that of that total, 4,963 are still in Phuket, 10,492 have returned to their home countries and 12,742 have ventured to other provinces in Thailand.

Planning to visit Phuket? Book your Sandbox hotel here

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/immigration-releases-phuket-sandbox-stats-81300.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-06

1 minute ago, nkg said:

Of course, you could argue that returning expats spend far more money over months/years than tourists who stay for a few weeks.

It's a good thing for Thailand if lots of long-term visitors arrive.

considering at least half would probably be thai nationals, I doubt 6,000 long term visitors will make much difference to the thai economy ! Won't even replace the number of expats that die off in a year probably !

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

considering at least half would probably be thai nationals, I doubt 6,000 long term visitors will make much difference to the thai economy ! Won't even replace the number of expats that die off in a year probably !

According to the numbers in the story, it would be (4,963 + 12,742) = 17,705 long stayers so far. Thai nationals who've spent time abroad are usually wealthier than their domestic counterparts.

Of course, what you say about the TAT's predictions is spot-on.

46 minutes ago, nkg said:

Of course, you could argue that returning expats spend far more money over months/years than tourists who stay for a few weeks.

It's a good thing for Thailand if lots of long-term visitors arrive.

It is the deaths caused by Vax redirection to this scheme (the old are only now being vaccinated) vs the few $$ made. In my opinion the puny success of this scheme is and will continue to be negligible and has cost lives.

Lives matter no matter how old.

• Like 2

Just now, Scrotobike said:

It is the deaths caused by Vax redirection to this scheme (the old are only now being vaccinated) vs the few $$ made. In my opinion the puny success of this scheme is and will continue to be negligible and has cost lives.

Lives matter no matter how old.

But Thailand haven't been prioritizing the vaccinations of the elderly anywhere in Thailand. The UK started off with the over 85s, then the over 80s (and their caregivers), then the over 75s etc.

Thailand haven't done anything like that. Apart from hospital staff and "VIPs", vaccinations have gone to whoever signed up to a list first or got to the front of a queue.

No system was in place to prioritize the elderly anywhere in Thailand when Phuket got their "extra vaccines". If Phuket had refused to accept them, they would have just gone into the arms of 20-somethings in Bangkok instead.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Scrotobike said:

I am not looking at the actions of individuals in Phuket, I am questioning the scheme as part of the drive for HiSO $$ at the cost of lives. I do not think the sandbox deserves any praise as it is part of the exchange of lives for $$. It was known at the time that the old die of Covid. Shame on them.

It is Thailand's policy of not prioritizing vaccines for the elderly that has resulted in more deaths. That policy has been in place since the start of the pandemic. Blaming Phuket for this is an unhelpful distraction.

Government data analysed for the first time by Reuters shows Thailand has fully vaccinated 6.7% of an estimated 10.9 million people 60 and older, compared with 15% of adults aged 18 to 59 and 10.2% of the total population - including children, who are not being vaccinated.

Thailand was the only one of 30 countries for which Reuters reviewed data that had a lower percentage of seniors vaccinated than those in younger age groups.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/exclusive-thailands-elderly-lag-behind-covid-vaccination-drive-data-show-2021-08-31/

• Like 1

The sand box was part of the problem - you cannot condone these actions no matter how well intended. So yes I wholeheartedly condemn the foolish sandbox program along with the other diversion of vaccines away from the elderly. 

All lives matter including the elderly

• Like 1

As long as the western countries color Thailand red and their travel advice not to go unless necessary, the list of requirements to stay and test the visitors will not be reviewed, and the low vaccination grade with low working vaccines, tourists will not come. Or don't the TAT and Phuket Governor don't read international news?? 

• Like 2

It is logical for expats returning to Thailand to do the sandbox route rather than be locked up in an overprice Bangkok hotel like a prisoner for two weeks I know of at least 3 ex pats who did the sandbox and have now returned to there properties on the islands 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

It added that of that total, 4,963 are still in Phuket, 10,492 have returned to their home countries and 12,742 have ventured to other provinces in Thailand

I know of one of the 12,742 that is a tourist - he wished to visit Koh Chang - but I wonder how many else that are tourists, who at the moment enjoys their vacation other parts of the nation...????

More realistic, it might seems like perhaps 40 percent to 45 percent are returnees that wish a more pleasant quarantine, but great if some 16,000 or more tourists arrived during two month...????

16 hours ago, nkg said:

According to the numbers in the story, it would be (4,963 + 12,742) = 17,705 long stayers so far. Thai nationals who've spent time abroad are usually wealthier than their domestic counterparts.

Of course, what you say about the TAT's predictions is spot-on.

The only people I know who used the Sandbox was part of the extended royal  family who had made a vaccination trip to US.