live feed on back of tv

Davejf2017

I have had a RCD fitted and it trips when the breaker for the plug sockets is turned on.breaker size for plugs is 20 amp.So I checked various plugs and found with the 2 pin plug for the tv in either way there is a live feed on the tv casing (tv 5 year old lg) and the same on the hard drive box for my cctv.I have got the RCD removed at the moment.The Thai electrician is going to have another look soon.Any advice would be helpful Crossy especially.

You only have one breaker for all electric sockets?  If not did you try using on another breaker?  You are saying no trip using either without RCD?  Have you ever felt shock touching either item?  Are there coax or other cables attached to TV?  Does it still trip with these removed?

• Like 1

Neon drivers are very handy, but you really need a proper multimeter, a few 00 Baht even from Tesco.

For the TV and other stuff, it's invariably Class-2 (double insulated). You are most likely seeing a phantom voltage caused by the mains filter capacitors, if you don't get a shock this is almost certainly not what's tripping the RCD.

First check when the sparks gets there, unplug everything from that circuit. Try the RCD. If it stays on plug kit in a bit at a time until it trips.

How about that photo?

EDIT Is this a new RCD install, has it ever worked properly?

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Sorry, can't read those files, please post in a more common format. BMP, JPG or similar.

Just Apple wanting to be special and not confirming to normal standards. But there are plenty convertors but its still anoying.

OK so we have some viewable photos which really don't tell us much (way too close up) with important stuff missing.

Anyway, so this is an off-grid solar setup?

The brown wire in the right hand bus bar goes where? How about the white wire in the left hand bar?

I'm a bit confused how the neutrals are being handled here, they should all be in the left hand bus bar (assuming that's the one not bolted to the metalwork, it's difficult to tell).

How about the other questions?

30 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@Crossy The wonders of new formats (HEIC) and people who don’t know to, or how to, change them!

The problem is that a lot of members who would be willing to help won't be able to view the files without sourcing a viewer/converter and will simply pass on the thread, leaving what might be valuable input unsaid.

@Davejf2017 Please can you post a photo that shows the whole box, preferably in a more normal format (if you want me to respond that is).

Does the RCD stay on with everything unlugged from the outlet circuit? What about if you plug in a light or something similar?

I suspect we have a N-E fault here (possibly a mis-wire).

27 minutes ago, FrequentStops said:

@tomazbodner  On an iPhone go to Settings - Camera - Formats.  Select ‘Most Compatible’ and photos will be shown as jpegs for transferring. iOS 14.7.1  

Sorry for the off-topic…

Actually this sounds like a very on topic post - as said much better to post in format most people use but can understand phone user not being aware so above should help.  I am also another viewer who decided not to download and install something I knew nothing about as a non smart phone user (of any type).

• Like 2

This consumer unit is for the back up for my solar the RCD in there now is a faulty one the test button does not work.The one for the plug sockets is the 3rd one from the left.Soyit took so long as now found a way to put photos in different format 

83C79F65-B0F4-4E6E-820A-5EE0CFDD201E.jpeg

95786310-1873-4D4C-AA32-23614DE50663.jpeg

Great that you've sorted a working format ????

Now please can you respond to the several questions which have been asked?

We tend not to ask questions for the sake of it, your responses will help us to determine what the issue is.

Has your sparks been round yet to try and sort the problem?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:
2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@Crossy The wonders of new formats (HEIC) and people who don’t know to, or how to, change them!

The problem is that a lot of members who would be willing to help won't be able to view the files without sourcing a viewer/converter and will simply pass on the thread, leaving what might be valuable input unsaid.

That is exactly why I converted them to the virtually universal JPEG format, as even PNG may not work for some.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davejf2017 said:

I am going to get a Thai electrician to sort out the problem. Thank you for your patience and help.

Please report back on what he finds / does to solve the issue.

Sadly, I have a horrible feeling he will simply bypass / remove your RCD and say "Thai electric not same farang electric, not need insert name of safety device here" :whistling:

Seriously, please prove me wrong.

If you get a good one please record his details and pass to anyone in your area who needs a good sparks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1