Teacher Licensure Requirements

mlapp

Hello, I am currently working on my Bachelor's of Education degree through an online American university. Acquiring an American teacher's license includes quite a bit more work and student teaching. Is an American license an asset when applying for a Thai work permit, visa, or license? Is there any advantage in getting my license in my home country if I am planning to teach here in Thailand? Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure of the current requirements, but having a license from your home country should guarantee that you will be given an Thai Teaching license.  However, you will need to work in a Thai school for at least a year and get recommendations from your department head and school director before you can apply for that Thai Teaching License.

You should have no trouble working for two or even four years before applying for the local license.

If you have a home country Teacher's License, you should have no trouble getting a Thai license.  You will be on a waiver while it is processed.  All of the overseas teachers, including those from the Philippines, have been approved for a License.  

• 2 weeks later...

Having an American state license is definitely a useful document in Thailand.

You will be able to teach at some international schools, which will allow you to achieve a higher salary than if you teach in the Thai system. It will also save you a lot of messing about (stupid license tests) when you apply for the Thai Teacher's license, which greatly helps to get a work permit etc.