Airport Enforcing Onward Ticket Rule

It has been reported in another forum that all immigration booths at Bangkok airport have a pink paper saying 'present passport, lading form and onward ticket'

Anybody can confirm this ?

A friend of mine was require to show his boarding pass a couple of weeks ago. He did not have it and was sent back to get a replacement. Took him a further hour to clear immigration. So best have your Boarding pass ready just in case.

A boarding pass in not a return ticket, not related to immigration policy.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meaowma,

Thanks so much for the comprehensive report. It seems clear that although things are currently being selectively enforced, it will soon be mandatory for all people entering on the 30 day visa exempt stamp to have an onward ticket no matter what passport they are carrying. I, for one, will not come in without one again. Please continue to update us on the situation since you come and go so frequently.

Simon,

I'm suprised that you didn't see the signs stating that they required an onward ticket. Is it possible that you missed the 4th thing on the sign? It would be strange for them to have two sets of signs up at different locations in the airport. Certainly it shouldn't be a concern for you anyway as they primarily are concerned with people using the 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Accoring to Simon's report, the signs that Meaowma had photographed on June 6 had been changed by June 9 to leave off the 4th item. I find this very hard to believe.

There were other members who didn't see them a few days after I (and other members) had seen dozens of these yellow A4's posted everywhere. Exactly the same ones that Meaowma was kind enough to photograph and post here on June 11.

Go figure.

Edited by tropo

A boarding pass in not a return ticket, not related to immigration policy.

...however they ARE asking to see them. Maybe they want to verify if the person has in fact flown in, or just stayed airside.

This was exactly the one we saw coming through on June 1:

post-34982-1181568452_thumb.jpg

I saw that when I came in the end of May as well.

Yes, this the yellow note they had all over the place when I came to Bangkok Suv airport this weekend.

But I was never asked for any onward ticket by Immigration.

I arrived without any visa and got a 30 day visa exemption stamp. I have a European passport and arrived on a flight from EU territory.

They did NOT count the days spent in Thailand on previous visits as they had done earlier. The officer just looked at the latest tourist visa I got from Penang (now expired) and nothing else.

Selective enforcement of the onward ticket rule? It certainly looks that way. I had a printout of my next Air Asia booking out of Thailand ready but didn't need it this time.

The new/enforced visa rules were for the land borders only, but all in all it can be hoped the immigration officials are using common sense and judgement on the whole.

This is not a new rule. It's just rarely been enforced in the past.

A traveller's country of origin may just be a deciding factor on whether or not they ask to see a return ticket. Most members on this forum are of European and American origin so we rarely get any feedback on the enforcement of rules for people from the rest of the world.

CPA e-ticket.

Please note that you are required to keep a printed copy of this Itinerary/Receipt with you throughout the journey, as it is required for check-in and immigration purposes. (Quote)

FYI. If you do not fill in the arrival/departure card correctly you may well be asked for your ticket.

A traveller's country of origin may just be a deciding factor on whether or not they ask to see a return ticket.

That along with appearance I would hazard a guess. Rightly so IMHO. How on earth can Thailand hope to get ahead in this world if it enforces the same rules on well healed business men turning up at the immigration booth as a coach load of Asian laborers from the subcontinent?

http://www.thaiconsulate.org.au/forms/visa-instruction.gif

para 2 is very interesting regarding exemptions.The website is the Thai consulate in Brisbane.

I'd be curious to know how many entries they would be willing to give on a tourist visa.

You get one unless you purchase a re-entry permit at Soi Suan Phlu. For 1900 baht, you will get a single re-entry, and for 3800 baht, you get a multiple reentries . However, the expiration date remains the same; your tourist visa will expire 60 days after your first entry date on that visa.

Is it legal to take photographs in the immigrations area in Thailand?

I know it is verboten in the USA and I recall seeing the old "no camera" (graphic of a camera with a red slashed circle) in other airports' immigrations and customs areas.

I know it is verboten in the USA and I recall seeing the old "no camera" (graphic of a camera with a red slashed circle) in other airports' immigrations and customs areas.

I was thinking that myself, but let's not worry about it. He proved a point by posting the photographic evidence.

I was thinking that myself, but let's not worry about it. He proved a point by posting the photographic evidence.

I will be com ing through immigration again tomorrow - anything I should look out for let me know.

As for taking photos - hmmmmm well better not say but there are signs prohibiting it but lets not go there :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...