Best local credit card

14 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Documents Required by KTC -

‣ Copy of ID card or Passport

‣ Copy of government official or state enterprise identification card or copy of passport A copy of the house registration is required.

‣ Income proof documents such as salary certificate/salary slip Withholding tax certificate, bis 50, etc.

‣ A copy of the bank account which is the past 3 months salary account with the front of the book indicating the name - account number

‣ In the case of foreigners working / doing business in Thailand Attach a copy of your passport and work permit in Thailand (Work Permit) for more than 2 years.

KTC credit card -

Total income starts at 15,000 baht (total income starts at 50,000 baht for foreigners).

https://www.ktc.co.th/en/credit-card/generic/ktc-visa-signature

You said..........Thai WP is mandatory

Read my previous post, my original Platinum Credit card from Kasikorn Bank was issued when I was on a Tourist Visa.

I have read a couple of other comments from members stating they had no WP and have been issued a credit card.

8 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Read my previous post, my original Platinum Credit card from Kasikorn Bank was issued when I was on a Tourist Visa.

I have read a couple of other comments from members stating they had no WP and have been issued a credit card.

Perhaps your experience from 10 years ago is no longer applicable.

For me, the effort to open a Thai bank account has been much harder than it was 10 years ago.

@DrJoy had earlier in the topic limited his comments to unsecured credit cards.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Rules in Thailand change super quick.

As of Sep 2021 you cannot get an unsecured cr card without a WP.

I am telling the current rules not what you did many years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Perhaps your experience from 10 years ago is no longer applicable.

For me, the effort to open a Thai bank account has been much harder than it was 10 years ago.

You're correct. What happened to you last year may not be the same this year.

In the past many foreigners took Thai cr cards and left without paying their balance. The rules are bound to be hard now.

I have Bangkok Bank and Krungsri Exclusive. Dont use BKK Bank one much but Krungsri have always given excellent customer service and call center staff are quick to help, recommend and attend to any issue i have which is very rare.

In that 6 years i have never had my card hacked or any problem like that.

So many moaning gits in here--- oh there is no fraud protection, oh i need this, oh my US card does x y z.... Christ sake some people literally live to complain and whinge.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

I little snippet regarding what happened to a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago.

He has very little in the bank, he's well past retirement age and doesn't have a Work Permit, and no way would he pass the normal lending critera for a credit card here in Thailand.

He took out a small accident insurance policy with a bank in Pattaya and tried to pay with a UK debit card online which was declined. He went back to the bank and was told that he could only pay with a credit card, he had no idea why and neither did the bank person. 

When he said that he didn't have a credit card the bank person went away and returned saying that a credit card was approved, it was sent a couple of days later.

I'm not arguing with your claim that "you cannot get an unsecured cr card without a WP", except that it doesn't always seem to be the case.

I certainly got an unsecurred cc some years ago without a work permit, I still have it and the limit has increased over the years, but as you say you're stating "the current rules not what you did many years ago". seems nothing is ever straightforward here.

5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I little snippet regarding what happened to a good friend of mine a couple of weeks ago.

He has very little in the bank, he's well past retirement age and doesn't have a Work Permit, and no way would he pass the normal lending critera for a credit card here in Thailand.

He took out a small accident insurance policy with a bank in Pattaya and tried to pay with a UK debit card online which was declined. He went back to the bank and was told that he could only pay with a credit card, he had no idea why and neither did the bank person. 

When he said that he didn't have a credit card the bank person went away and returned saying that a credit card was approved, it was sent a couple of days later.

I'm not arguing with your claim that "you cannot get an unsecured cr card without a WP", except that it doesn't always seem to be the case.

I certainly got an unsecurred cc some years ago without a work permit, I still have it and the limit has increased over the years, but as you say you're stating "the current rules not what you did many years ago". seems nothing is ever straightforward here.

Good to know, Which bank was that?

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Bangkok Bank, I suspect that isn't official policy but more a case of how "rules" change from bank to bank or even branch to branch.

I have WP , salary over 50K THB , I applied BKK Bank and they rejected me without giving a reason.

This was Feb 2021

I have Kasikorn & AEON from many yrs, K bank does not increase the limit automatically but AEON does.

Have Amex (Thai) too,  but it has acceptance issues.

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:
1 hour ago, VYCM said:

Expand  

My first credit card was issued around 2008, at the time my monthly salary would swing, from a little under 500,000 to a little over 500,000 baht per month, depending on where in the world the rig was located and what bonus my company paid for that country.

I reckon if I was needing a Thai credit card today, did not have a Thai WP, I was still getting the above salary and could produce my pay slips I would be given a Thai credit card.

Saying that, your bank manager needs to perform (she was assistant bank manager back then) you get a lazy bank manager they probably wont make the effort.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VYCM said:

My first credit card was issued around 2008, at the time my monthly salary would swing, from a little under 500,000 to a little over 500,000 baht per month, depending on where in the world the rig was located and what bonus my company paid for that country.

I reckon if I was needing a Thai credit card today, did not have a Thai WP, I was still getting the above salary and could produce my pay slips I would be given a Thai credit card.

Saying that, your bank manager needs to perform (she was assistant bank manager back then) you get a lazy bank manager they probably wont make the effort.

So you're very rich, thats the reason you got the card. You give good business to the bank and the bank as a goodwill gesture hands you the card.

As others pointed out, the rules seem to fluctuate.

I have a salary of THB 51,000 only, not anywhere rich as you,  still have many cr cards

On 9/9/2021 at 1:39 PM, cmarshall said:

As I said fraud protection in Thailand is at the discretion of the bank, not statutory as in the US.  So, you might be made whole, but you might not.  I wouldn't use such a card.

Maybe not. But me too, I have Thai Credit Card, 2 from Bangkok Bank (Visa + Mastercard) and 1 Amex for the last 20 years. My Amex, which is not through bank but directly from Amex Thailand has been hacked 2 times. 1st time, Amex called to inform me that there was several suspiscious transactions and wanted me to confirm it was not from me. Actually, several transactions done from differents golf shops but I don't play golf. Once I confirmed, they immediately cancelled the card and sent a new one 24h later. All the illegal transactions were removed from my statment.

2nd fraud with my TH Amex was a transaction of 10,000 USD from abroad that appear on my statement. I called Amex and after explaining that it couldn't have done by myself, then again they simply removed the transaction and sent me a new card.

I also was hacked with my Bangkok Bank Mastercard Air Asia 2 years ago. There was multi small transactions done online while I was sleeping for a total of 70,000 THB. The bank woke me up to inform me about the issue and cancelled immediately the card and recieved a new one few days later. As I was sleeping during the fraud, I didn't here the hundred sms on my phone for each transaction...

So there might be no fraud protection law in Thailand but based on my experience, i find the credit card safe here.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2021 at 2:10 PM, blackcab said:

SCB My Travel.

You get 1 mile for every 17 baht you spend.

A round trip business class ticket with Thai is 180,000 miles.

17x180,000 is 3,060,000 baht.

And before you all think I'm rich, a lot of that expenditure is on behalf of the company I work for!

"And before you all think....."

Come on  don't be shy ..... putting it all on the back of the company ....:thumbsup:

Edited by david555