Best local credit card

I've asked at Kasikorn about a credit card and they just say not for farangs. Maybe because I don't have a work permit? 

I do recommend the K-web shopping card that I use all the time. It's a virtual card like a debit card that I use for buying things online (Lazada). That's easy to get. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

And the Tax on that ticket ?

We used to get the TG Airmiles with our previous Card (Citi ROP), I don’t think the miles per baht ratio was as good as yours (I think it was 1:20) - but we still had to pay Tax on the ticket. 

I recall one time the Tax alone on the Airmiles ticket was more expensive than buying my Son his ticket separately (some weird setup about using Airmiles for kids tickets but charging adult tax rates).

30+ thousand baht.

17 hours ago, Andycoops said:

For everyday expenses here in Thailand I have no use for CC and pay cash.

If I need to book a flight or hotel abroad I use my UK debit card and sometimes for large purchases here 50k up.

That is very similar to me, can you tell me something, what is the situation if you book a flight to the UK with your debit card. and it is cancelled by the airline? Also, what is the situation if you have to cancel your flight because you have problems getting your PLF in time, or something else beyond your control?

11 hours ago, Pinot said:

I've asked at Kasikorn about a credit card and they just say not for farangs. Maybe because I don't have a work permit? 

Nope, I have had  a few credit cards from Kasikorn, 2 for myself and a spouse.

No work permit.

It was more that 10 years ago, nothing to do with working in Thailand, I had no work permit. Actually I only came in on a Tourist visa as my rotation was 28/28, 

My monthly offshore salary was quite high, at the time I was bringing it all into Thailand. 

Its all about how much money you have with them.

I also have a safety deposit box with Kasikorn, I heard this is out of the question for Foreigners. I never see another foreigner in the banks vault section where the safety boxes are located, only Thais waiting..

I had a very good relationship with my bank manager, she would try extremely hard at times to help me get these items, I never thought of it at the time but she was outstanding, the things I have today foreigners just cant get.

What's even more amazing I only came in and out on a Tourist visa.

I have Citi Prestige VISA and Rewards Mastercard (need work permit).

Major plus for me is that Makro accept them and Prestige gives 12.5% cash for points on fuel from PTT.

Credit limit is about 5 times my monthly salary, I pay off every month but it's handy for those "sudden" expenses.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, blackcab said:

30+ thousand baht.

Holy ’s#!tballs’ !!! - 30k tax on a ticket....    its because they charge the Tax on a full fare ticket... 

That said, its better than paying Economy.. so no heartbreak there. 

I also recall the tax on my Son’s Air-miles ticket being higher than buying him a ‘promo-child-fare’... so we opted just to use the Air-miles for my Wife and I, and purchased my Son’s ticket separately. 

I just called SCB's help line to enquire about getting a credit card.

The first question they asked was am I working or on retirement visa?

Being on retirement extension, my only avenue to getting a credit card at SCB would be to open a fixed deposit account (@ .25% - .65%).  They would not allow me to use my SCB EZ Savings Account (@ 1.5%) as collateral.  SCB requires a minimum balance of 10K฿ for which they would give me a 5K฿ credit limit on my credit card.

On 9/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, Aussieroaming said:

Mine is a Kasikorn CC, attached to a fixed term deposit and Wisdom Account.

With Wisdom you still need to attach a fixed term deposit??

21 hours ago, Pinot said:

I do recommend the K-web shopping card that I use all the time. It's a virtual card like a debit card that I use for buying things online (Lazada). That's easy to get. 

I have 2 credit cards with K-Bank and never worked in Thailand nor have I attached a fix term deposit. The last card with K-Bank was about 2 years ago "One Siam". The card I not use that often, as the special perks only are good for shopping in the big Shopping centers. But maybe easier as my first CC with K-Bank I received 11 years ago.

On 9/9/2021 at 10:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And the Tax on that ticket ?

We used to get the TG Airmiles with our previous Card (Citi ROP), I don’t think the miles per baht ratio was as good as yours (I think it was 1:20) - but we still had to pay Tax on the ticket. 

I recall one time the Tax alone on the Airmiles ticket was more expensive than buying my Son his ticket separately (some weird setup about using Airmiles for kids tickets but charging adult tax rates).

That was the same for me in Europe. I paid 2-3 business class trips to Thailand incl. stays in the Okura Prestige using my Lufthansa miles and each time had to pay the same amount as a Qatar Airways economy class ticket on promotion (c. 600 Euro) for taxes and fees. 

Question: Did anyone successfully go through a dispute process using a Thai bank issued card and can recommend it? Do they refund you and take care of the dispute process with English speaking customer service?

———

I have the Citi ROP card. Credit limit is 1mb which I should change as it’s way above what I usually spend. 

I got it to collect frequent flyer miles but since TG is going bankrupt and Citi about to sell their business I need to get rid of my points using vouchers or things and then find a new card. 

I liked the fact that Citi is a western company. Made me feel a bit more comfortable in case of a dispute. I had one dispute with a popular electronics retailer here and Citi was super helpful. Immediately refunded the amount and then took care of dealing with the merchant who wouldn’t really deal with me when I called, emailed, lined, facebooked, commented on social media,… to get the things that I had ordered and paid for. In the end, everything got

resolved, the merchant sent someone to send the missing items and take back a broken item and only then my card was charged again. Very pleased. 

1 hour ago, cocoonclub said:

Question: Did anyone successfully go through a dispute process using a Thai bank issued card and can recommend it? Do they refund you and take care of the dispute process with English speaking customer service?

A few years ago I ordered a refrigerator form Lazada. The Lazada vendor sent me a different fridge to what I ordered, different make and size.. 

I went into my Kasikorn branch, the service staff at Kasikorn were very helpful, I filled out the complaint form and a few weeks later I was refunded in full.

2 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

———

I have the Citi ROP card. Credit limit is 1mb which I should change as it’s way above what I usually spend. 

I got it to collect frequent flyer miles but since TG is going bankrupt and Citi about to sell their business I need to get rid of my points using vouchers or things and then find a new card. 

I liked the fact that Citi is a western company. Made me feel a bit more comfortable in case of a dispute. I had one dispute with a popular electronics retailer here and Citi was super helpful. Immediately refunded the amount and then took care of dealing with the merchant who wouldn’t really deal with me when I called, emailed, lined, facebooked, commented on social media,… to get the things that I had ordered and paid for. In the end, everything got

resolved, the merchant sent someone to send the missing items and take back a broken item and only then my card was charged again. Very pleased. 

Any idea who is taking over Citi ? I hear its 1-2 years away yet and I'm sure one can carry on with an equivalent card etc..

On 9/9/2021 at 8:52 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

Have SCB Ultra Platinum, use extensively, I always clear the balance routinely so never worried about interest etc, had about 10yrs.

Customer service is great, i think you have annual renewal cost of about 5k but never paid it as i use millions on it yearly so they have never charged.

Had 3 new cards since first obtained, never an issue.

Points are great, i once had accred something like 50,000 THB of vouchers which i gave to staff.

Now days i'm routinely knocking 400 or so here and there off my outstanding etc.

Used a few times with the broken repayments, but never experienced the outcome as paid by the end of the month.

Credit limit 500,000 but can be increased to 2m (just change the slider to that in the app), no deposit etc (actual CC).

Back when i got it, the bank offered me a 15,000,000 mortgage if i wanted, so it was different times...

I think i'm 'grandfathered in' now which is fortunate as i believe its a lot harder for foreigners to obtain them these days without depositing funds into some sort of placebo credit card (debit card).

What i also like, is the new in-app detailed overview of spending, it really gives a good insight into where you are spending money quickly and easily.

Just accrued another 400THB off since beginning of the month, so claimed the vouchers for that.

240624516_138390058492724_4435680307239875239_n.png

240582287_138390075159389_1907823339174248234_n.png

As of Sep 2021, you need a monthly salary of THB 100,000/-  to get a unsecured cr card from SCB

Almost all Thai & foreign Banks issue unsecured cr card to foreigners.

2 main requirements are - Work Permit & Non B or Non O (Marriage) visa 

Next is minimum monthly salary requirements -

American Express (Thai) = THB 35,000/-

Kasikorn, Krungsri, Krung Thai (KTC), UOB, AEON, ICBC  = THB 50,000/-

Citi Bank = THB 80,000/-

Siam Commercial Bank = THB 100,000/-

Thai WP is mandatory

Edited by DrJoy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DrJoy said:

As of Sep 2021, you need a monthly salary of THB 100,000/-  to get a unsecured cr card from SCB

I'm retired (not sure why you are telling me).

When i did get it, i didn't deal with anything we used SCB for a 100m$ project, they were used for payroll, so the office girl (HR) handled everything, so wouldn't even know what was required then.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:28 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

If so, whats the point ?

the point is that you can get free flights that cost a lot of money.

no other card gives it.

in some countries trading in miles is big business and you can sell them

for cash, but not in thailand.

anyway, say you spent half million baht with you card in a year.

it is worth 28,000 miles on cris aliance - air ticket to europe, 2 way.

return air ticket to europe , top airline, economy , Lufthansa or KLM.

Maybe USD 600-700 ? business usd 1300-1400 ? 

For spend of USD 18,000 or so. But that spend would have been restricted to certain limited overpriced outlets / products not competitively & independently sourced. Such sourcing would take time but produce at least say 10% savings, USD 1,800 ? Or 20% / Usd 3,600 …

24 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Nope

Qualifications

Fixed Income Earners

20 - 80 years of age

Earn 15,000 baht / month or more

Be employed for 6 months and over

Business Owners

20 - 80 years of age

Earn 15,000 baht / month or more

Have operated the business for 1 year and over

Applicants with Savings

20 - 80 years of age

Have at least 1,000,000 baht balance in a fixed or savings account of any banks for 6 months and over

Foreigners

20 - 80 years of age

Earn 50,000 baht / month or more

Supplementary Card Applicants

15 - 80 years of age

Documents Required -

Main Card Applicants-

Copy of a national ID card or passport, visa and work permit in Thailand. (For foreigners)

Documents showing income, including latest salary slip or salary certification and statement for the past six months.

https://www.kasikornbank.com/en/personal/credit-card/Pages/platinum.aspx

Not sure about other banks but K bank does not hand out unsecured cr card without a WP.

30 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Nope

https://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/cards/aeon-gold-card

Documents Required by Aeon TS (Thailand)-

Copy of I.D. card or passport
* If using government officer card / state enterprise employee card, please enclosure copy of house registration
tick tick
Copy of Work Permit
tick  tick 
Payroll slip and/or salary certification letter from your employers
tick  
Copy of bank statement 
(180 days backward)
tick  tick 
Copy of trade registration / Company Registration certification of limited partnership

33 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Nope

Documents Required by UOB -

Applicant age

• Primary Card : 20 - 60 years old
  • Supplementary Card : 15 - 80 years old

monthly income

• Thai people : 15,000 baht or more
  • Foreigners : 50,000 baht or more

service life

• Full-time employee: 1 year (must pass probationary period) in case of change of workplace Can count continuous service life in the same business line with valid work permit.
  • Owner : 3 years

https://www.uob.co.th/personal-en/index.page

36 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Nope

Documents Required by Krungsri Bank -

Required Documents (Please sign to verify to all copies)

For Salary-Employed Applicant

- A copy of passport (only the photo page).

- A copy of work permit.

- A copy of recent payroll slip or current employment letter.

- A copy of last 6 months bank statement with proof of salary transactions.

For Self-Employed Applicant

- A copy of passport (only the photo page)

- A copy of work permit.

- A copy of business affidavit issued date within 6 months or a copy of business registration/ trade registration.

- A Copy of shareholder list if submit business's bank statement.

- A copy of last 6 months bank statement.

Applicant Qualification (For Foreigners)

Individual, Age between 20-65 years old. (For Supplementary Card, Age more than 15 years old.)

For Salary-Employed Applicant

Minimum income 50,000 Baht/Month with current job longevity more than 4 months and current + previous job longevity > 1 year.

For Self-Employed Applicant

At least 1 year in current business with minimum monthly revenue turnover 770,000 baht/Month.

https://www.krungsricard.com/th/Product/CreditCard/HomePro-Visa-Platinum.html

45 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Nope

Documents Required by KTC -

‣ Copy of ID card or Passport

‣ Copy of government official or state enterprise identification card or copy of passport A copy of the house registration is required.

‣ Income proof documents such as salary certificate/salary slip Withholding tax certificate, bis 50, etc.

‣ A copy of the bank account which is the past 3 months salary account with the front of the book indicating the name - account number

‣ In the case of foreigners working / doing business in Thailand Attach a copy of your passport and work permit in Thailand (Work Permit) for more than 2 years.

KTC credit card -

Total income starts at 15,000 baht (total income starts at 50,000 baht for foreigners).

https://www.ktc.co.th/en/credit-card/generic/ktc-visa-signature

Edited by DrJoy