Pattaya businesses hope to see foreign tourists

snoop1130

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Theres a lot of competition to get those tourists.

I can't see many struggling family owned hotels able to compete with the more refined tesorts when there now so cheap.

Only the fittest and finest will get through this.

Shouldn't that be "only the richest will get through this"?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pravda said:

It's been a while since I went to Pattaya, but that monstrosity of abandoned condo is built now? Along with the huge pool like in the pic?

It is a derelict looking shell into the sky.....not abandoned, simply never was. 

Edited by jacko45k

I dont get why people keep mentioning the building at Bali Hai, and its effect on tourism.

No time, in the history of the known universe, has a tourist not come to pattaya because of a half built building.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Did any westerner visit Pattaya for the peaceful and local vibe?

That's the good thing about Thailand- something for most tastes.

I, and many, liked the seediness- kept the families and bagpackers away.

agreed, as noted, is my opinion and not my scene--Is not why Ive been in LOS since 2008....is financial for me and simple living...send me a postcard now n then ????

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pity the plod were not as enthusiastic when it came to the jet ski scammers prior to corona.

If that's the priority, I can only hope that they all go broke for lack of opportunities to pocket the brown envelopes.

They are hurting due to no tourists to extort so will go after foreigners for anything now.

Saying that, you've only got yourself to blame if you leave yourself open to it.

The worse this economy gets the worse it will get. 

The only reason for me to visit Pattaya again is the nightlife, bars and partying. Until Pattaya is back in full swing as a fun city, that will probably take at least another year or more. For a pure beach holiday, there are hundreds of better places in Thailand.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont get why people keep mentioning the building at Bali Hai, and its effect on tourism.

No time, in the history of the known universe, has a tourist not come to pattaya because of a half built building.

That was true in the past, but now they want to attract the seriously rich, a derelict building that looms over the city would be a turn off to anyone with the money to go anywhere.

BTW, it's not just half built- it's an eyesore, and looks horrible.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That was true in the past, but now they want to attract the seriously rich, a derelict building that looms over the city would be a turn off to anyone with the money to go anywhere.

It would be cheaper and easier for City Hall to take it over, line the exterior, paint it white, and broadcast a spotlight / laser show from the top.   A little like a light house.  Perhaps some fireworks as well.  It could become a tourists attraction.

Basically, camouflage it.  

At a future stage, if / when any court proceeding force the developers to remove it, it's still an easy demolition.  

Edited by Leaver

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, not buying your argument.  I suspect 99% of the tourists, rich or not rich, visiting Pattaya have no idea the building is even there.  And, I doubt it would stop the 1% that did know about it from coming.  "Honey, there's an unfinished building in Pattaya.  Let's find somewhere else to go."  

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

It would be cheaper and easier for City Hall to take it over, line the exterior, paint it white, and broadcast a spotlight / laser show from the top.   A little like a light house.  Perhaps some fireworks as well.  It could become a tourists attraction.

Basically, camouflage it.  

At a future stage, if / when any court proceeding force the developers to remove it, it's still an easy demolition.  

Indeed. There are any number of things that could be done with it, but that would require a brain cell and a willingness to spend money instead of directing it in the usual direction.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:45 PM, BangkokReady said:

It is possible this may have some effect on tourist numbers.  ????

Forget the tourists for now. Supposedly people need customers…..I went to two companies that make signs that illuminate and asked for prices on my sign needs. One said they would call me, and the other would contact me by LINE. It’s been a couple of weeks and I’ve heard nothing from either company…..what kind of way is this to do business? I’ll probably just give up on a sign. I also understand that if your sign is in English you have to pay more taxes……strange way to do business……is that like being overcharged at the parks?

48 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Forget the tourists for now. Supposedly people need customers…..I went to two companies that make signs that illuminate and asked for prices on my sign needs. One said they would call me, and the other would contact me by LINE. It’s been a couple of weeks and I’ve heard nothing from either company…..what kind of way is this to do business? I’ll probably just give up on a sign. I also understand that if your sign is in English you have to pay more taxes……strange way to do business……is that like being overcharged at the parks?

I think the sign tax thing is if the sign is only in English.  That is why you'll notice with a lot of signs the English will be in big letters but somewhere on the sign you will also see the name in smaller letters in Thai.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed. There are any number of things that could be done with it, but that would require a brain cell and a willingness to spend money instead of directing it in the usual direction.

For years it has sat there as an eye sore, but as you say, to put it to some use, whilst it's tied up in the Courts, takes some initiative, which is lacking here.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 10:41 PM, newnative said:

I think the sign tax thing is if the sign is only in English.  That is why you'll notice with a lot of signs the English will be in big letters but somewhere on the sign you will also see the name in smaller letters in Thai.

You have to pay tax on all signs. We have road signs in Thai to our factories and we have to pay money to the local tessaban annually.

You have to get permission for a sign initially, then pay the tax, even on shops etc.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You have to pay tax on all signs. We have road signs in Thai to our factories and we have to pay money to the local tessaban annually.

You have to get permission for a sign initially, then pay the tax, even on shops etc.

Interesting... yet advertisement boards (often for elections or new housing), seem to get banged up almost everywhere, particularly at junctions blocking sight. 

9 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thank you for the clarification.  It seems that the rate of tax you pay is more if the sign has foreign words or is only in foreign words.  According to the chart, 40 baht per 500 sq. centimeters for only foreign words vs. 20 baht if the sign has foreign words and Thai.  I found this on a website on doing business in Thailand, which may or may not be up to date regarding the current tax rates:

1. Signboards that display only Thai words are taxed at the rate of Baht 3 per 500 square centimeters;

2. Signboards displaying both Thai and foreign words and/or pictures are taxed at Baht 20 per 500 square centimeters;

3. Signboards that display foreign words alone with a picture or logo are taxed at Baht 40 per 500 square centimeters; and

4. Signboards that display foreign words alone or have Thai words below the foreign words are taxed at Baht 40 per 500 square centimeters.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, newnative said:

Thank you for the clarification.  It seems that the rate of tax you pay is more if the sign has foreign words or is only in foreign words.  According to the chart, 40 baht per 500 sq. centimeters for only foreign words vs. 20 baht if the sign has foreign words and Thai.  I found this on a website on doing business in Thailand, which may or may not be up to date regarding the current tax rates:

1. Signboards that display only Thai words are taxed at the rate of Baht 3 per 500 square centimeters;

2. Signboards displaying both Thai and foreign words and/or pictures are taxed at Baht 20 per 500 square centimeters;

3. Signboards that display foreign words alone with a picture or logo are taxed at Baht 40 per 500 square centimeters; and

4. Signboards that display foreign words alone or have Thai words below the foreign words are taxed at Baht 40 per 500 square centimeters.

Interesting.

Is it the size of the letters / words on the sign, or the size of the sign?  

12 hours ago, newnative said:

I think it is the size of the sign as it doesn't mention letter size or number of words.

A bit like the dart board license fiasco a while back.  

Maybe, the bigger the dart board, the more the license fee.  ????