kids between 12- 17 are recommended by Thai authority to get the Pfizer vaccine .....your thoughts?

hgma

13 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Does nobody remember thalidomide?

It took nearly 5 years for this drug to be found responsible for horrific deformites.

Also, please remember these mRNA therapies are still in phase three drug trials that won't end until 2023.

These drugs save lives and are not the same. MRNA IS THE GREATEST THING since hamburgers 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I would look at the current data available and talk with the youngsters about pro and cons and then let them decide.

Some kids are smarter than some adults on this COVID-19 forum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

Does nobody remember thalidomide?

It took nearly 5 years for this drug to be found responsible for horrific deformites.

Also, please remember these mRNA therapies are still in phase three drug trials that won't end until 2023.

Thalidomide was never approved in the US and certainly not pre-tested in any reprotox assays which would have averted the tragedy altogether. 

It's very normal to have ongoing phase 3 studies at the time of full approval, that's not unique to this situation or reason for alarm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Why not ? Young people are unlikely to be very sick with covid, but they may pass it on to those who are more vulnerable.

There is simply no vaccine that will stop transmission.  Vaccination is only useful in preventing serious illness and possible death.  In other words, vaccines protect those receiving it against serious illness, and nobody else.  So, if young people are not at risk of serious illness or death from Covid-19, but could possibly face life threatening illness from getting the vaccine, that's why not.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Thai Dan said:

There is simply no vaccine that will stop transmission.  Vaccination is only useful in preventing serious illness and possible death.  In other words, vaccines protect those receiving it against serious illness, and nobody else.  So, if young people are not at risk of serious illness or death from Covid-19, but could possibly face life threatening illness from getting the vaccine, that's why not.

If you are vaccinated and get a breakthrough case with the Delta variant, you are infectious.  If it is one of the other variants or the original strain, you will not be infectious.   Breakthrough infections are still not common.  If you do not get Covid, you can't pass it on.   If you get vaccinated you have a much, much better chance of never being infected in the first place.

Edited by Credo

26 minutes ago, Credo said:

If you are vaccinated and get a breakthrough case with the Delta variant, you are infectious.  If it is one of the other variants or the original strain, you will not be infectious.   Breakthrough infections are still not common.  If you do not get Covid, you can't pass it on.   If you get vaccinated you have a much, much better chance of never being infected in the first place.

If you walk through a smoke filled room, will a swab of your nose reveal that you have smoke residue in your nasal passage?  Why yes, yes it would.  If you are vaccinated against the effects of smoke and you walk through a smoke filled room, will a swab of your nose reveal that you have smoke residue in your nasal passage?  Why yes, yes it would.

In either scenario, if you sneeze, is it possible that a nearby human will breathe in part of the smoke residue from your nasal passages?  Why yes, yes it is possible.

Vaccination does not prevent transmission.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mrfill said:

In a few weeks?

I think you mean a few weeks ago..... 

https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/12-15-year-olds/110326/

Maybe English is not your first language. Did you read what I wrote ? Check the link below, I wrote full FDA aproval for 5 year olds and up (not emergency approval for 12  and up as is the case now) 

https://www.cnet.com/health/pfizer-to-seek-approval-for-covid-19-vaccine-in-kids-age-5-and-older-in-coming-weeks-report-says/

28 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

How about vaccinating the over 60's first?

I think they should have kind of priorities over kids.

So kids should go back to school unvaccinated then? Because that looks to be the plan for November. Kids are way more active than most 60 year olds and potentially meet with 100's of other children per day. Expect cases. Schools simpy cannot  stay shut much longer - and I'm one of the teachers who will see them every day. 85%  of the teachers and kids will need to be vaccinated though, and normal hygiene protocols will apply. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

How about vaccinating the over 60's first?

I think they should have kind of priorities over kids.

The kids need to be vaccinated because in school enviroment they will be in close proxcimity with many other  kids every day. They are much more likely to meet with others infected with covid and can spread to teachers, parents, gran-parents back home.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

The kids need to be vaccinated because in school enviroment they will be in close proxcimity with many other  kids every day. They are much more likely to meet with others infected with covid and can spread to teachers, parents, gran-parents back home.

Why not just vaccinate all the adults?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why not just vaccinate all the adults?

Adults are being vaccinated  but many anti vaxers don't want to be and others don't trust the vaccine. Bottom line we have an obligation as parents/adults to protect children/younger generation.  Us 60 plus year olds have had a good run , stop being the me generation. All about me, me, these children are just starting life and are owed a chance to have one.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

Adults are being vaccinated  but many anti vaxers don't want to be and others don't trust the vaccine. Bottom line we have an obligation as parents/adults to protect children/younger generation.  Us 60 plus year olds have had a good run , stop being the me generation. All about me, me, these children are just starting life and are owed a chance to have one.

I completely agree.  Let the kids go back to school, and let the adults protect themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 9:50 AM, Tony125 said:

Then the "anti vaxers" are making their own decision about risk of serious illness and possibly death.  I believe they should in order to protect themselves, but just because they don't does not mean others around them are more at risk; the vaccinations do not stop transmission in anyone, vaccinated or not. 

It is true that children may transmit the virus to older people: it is true that anyone may transmit to anyone, for that matter.  Vaccination does not protect from transmission or "testing positive"; it only protects from serious illness and possibly death.  Children have almost zero chance of becoming seriously ill, so teachers and all adults working in and around schools may want to make sure they themselves are vaccinated.  And it may be good preventive medicine to vaccinate the children after all the high risk people (aged and/or existing health problems) get vaccinated, but they should not be getting ahead of the high risk population (at least the ones that want to and are trying to get vaccinated).  I have a 15 year old and will do what the government mandates for the schoolkids, but not before.  I have had my first Pfizer dose and will get the second one this Friday.  My wife is in her mid-40s and in good health, which also means she is in the risk group below aged and/or ill, but we will try to get her a Pfizer jab before our son.

And yes, the kids can spread the virus to those at home, and so those at home should absolutely make sure that they themselves are vaccinated at their earliest opportunity.

• Like 1