Hotel prices

Whale

Was just looking on Agoda for a nice hotel for a week as we will be doubled jabbed in about 10 days. Prices seem to have gone up markedly already, especially in Pranburi. Anyone else notice?

Edited by Whale

Just looked at all the hotels I have stayed in in the past in Krabi, Koh Chang and Huahin for October.  All 3-4 star hotels.  Still pretty close to lowest prices I have ever seen.

Maybe there is something special about Pranburi?

Edited by Airalee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whale said:

Was just looking on Agoda

Check Megatix Thailand.

https://megatix.in.th/

Very good prices for nice resorts.  Our family has been using them since COVID-19.

Booking directly with hotels may also better deals and easier cancel or change your reservation without a hassle.

Good idea to become member's to particular hotels you stay to earn points and privileges.

Enjoy yourselves.

Are you open to staying elsewhere? I don't know anything about Pranburi, I always stay in BKK at Sheraton or Marriott's, so my advice may not be relevant to you. 

I did stay on Koh Chang also (non-Marriott) and they had good deals there, but what kind f place are you looking for? Villa? Beachside? Both? Neither?

Edited by DBath

18 hours ago, Whale said:

Was just looking on Agoda for a nice hotel for a week as we will be doubled jabbed in about 10 days. Prices seem to have gone up markedly already, especially in Pranburi. Anyone else notice?

It's called gouging.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What about booking.com?

There fine.

Theres just some unbeatable deals directly from the hotels on this site.

Prices include all taxes and VAT.

Its worth looking into. 

Especially if you prefer more upscale resort style accomodations.

Definitely check the expiration dates.  Although they happily extended it for our Anantara Hua Hin stay.

Edited by MrJ2U

The Thai way.

Announce re-opening and triple prices.

Then realize nobody is staying at your "Resort" hotel 3 blocks from the beach.

Then ask for money from the government because there going broke.

Stay with the international hotel chains like Marriott, Avani Hilton, etc. 

They are still reasonable and are actually beach front "resorts". 

There keeping their prices reasonable while giving you unforgettable experiences.

Check Megatix.com.  The site has some great deals on resorts.

https://megatix.in.th/

Its worth a look.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whale said:
1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Also unless it’s changed the price they show doesn’t include VAT or other taxes they add on at the end.

I must admit that particularly pisses me off with them.

That's the default setting, but you can adjust your preferences so that prices are always displayed inclusive of taxes. It's not that difficult to do, but I agree it's irritating to have to do it at all. 

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I agree, I used Agoda for many years until about 18 months ago.

I've used Agoda for many years, and may well go back to using them post Covid, but under current circumstances you've a chance of a better rate by cutting out the middleman.

Re prices inclusive/exclusive, you can toggle Agoda to show the total price per night, it's not a drama. As for refunds, it's up to you to make sure the booking is cancellable and that you make a note of the final date cancellation is possible. Agoda isn't a charity, and given the squeeze Covid is having on them, you can hardly expect them to be charitable.

55 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Re prices inclusive/exclusive, you can toggle Agoda to show the total price per night, it's not a drama.

Can you give me a hint on where to find that, I have just gone through the site and cannot find it. Thanks!

No problem I just found it, you click on the currency icon

Edited by Whale
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whale said:

Can you give me a hint on where to find that, I have just gone through the site and cannot find it. Thanks!

Go to the currency selector on the menu bar, it brings up a the currency options and at the top the option to show base price or total price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

I've used Agoda for many years, and may well go back to using them post Covid, but under current circumstances you've a chance of a better rate by cutting out the middleman.

Re prices inclusive/exclusive, you can toggle Agoda to show the total price per night, it's not a drama. As for refunds, it's up to you to make sure the booking is cancellable and that you make a note of the final date cancellation is possible. Agoda isn't a charity, and given the squeeze Covid is having on them, you can hardly expect them to be charitable.

I don’t expect them to be but when the hotel is ok and Agoda are impossible to contact well says it all to me

Doesn’t matter they are the losers and caused me to look for better deals and service which I know obtain.

Agoda and many other OTA's (online travel agents) are still showing pre-covid prices. As per a MUCH earlier post - book or enquire direct at hotels that appeal to you. Even better still, download the Marriott Bonvoy App, join Onyx Rewards, or join other hotel group loyalty schemes and the deals there are even better with no cost to join up.

That's my 5 dollars' worth. And before this sh*tshow began I worked in hotels.

You're welcome

On 9/11/2021 at 11:49 AM, Stocky said:

I'm sure Agoda's telling "only a few rooms left" too!

In no way am I supporting Agoda but there is a widely held misconception on that point.  It all depends on the agreement Agoda has with the hotel. Some 'deals' are for a set number of rooms available at a particular price.  Them being sold out or 'only 3 rooms left' does not necessarily mean they are the only rooms available or hotel is fully booked. However, on the few occasions where I've tried calling the hotel direct, I have found that they are full.

• Like 2

We are recently doing a 5 star hotel tour in hua hin and cha am.

Yes the hotel prices went up a bit on agoda and co.

But there are still massive deals to be found especially on the hotels websites.

You could check avani+. 

A 4 night stay in the deluxe room is 4999baht. Reducilously cheap.

Check out their line group.