SuperCheap ordered closed over COVID infections

Jonathan Fairfield

1631356425_1-org.jpeg

The main SuperCheap store and shopping complex north of Phuket Town has been ordered closed for seven days. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The main SuperCheap shopping complex in Rassada, north of Phuket Town, has been ordered closed for seven days as a measure to prevent COVID-19 infections from spreading after at least 23 staff there were confirmed infected.

Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew announced the closure today (Sept 11), which he pointed out was agreed by the Phuket Communicable Disease Control Committee.

The order to close came into effect today (Sat).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/supercheap-ordered-closed-over-covid-infections-81368.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-11

incredibly yes covered parking at main phuket store. but why ?

not exactly M& S  / Macys std. customers. demographic group Z just above homeless most of them…

project design & cost guys probably fired for that excess spending ! 

but not at my local where the illegal on road parking at busy junction is a major traffic hazard.

nobody with a shred of health awareness should ever consume anything from there…….

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

More covid in the litterbox soooooo much covid. The CCSA not moving this to red/deep red as showing their true competence.

A suggestion - forget these silly litterbox schemes and focus on vaccinating and opening up all Thailand.

I know this will upset all you Phuket mupeteers out there - but the truth is not always pleasant.

• Sad 2

“focusing ……on all of Thailand” is not how “focusing” works.

learn to distinguish between truth and opinion.

phuket sandbox experiment / trial needed to be explored.

to learn lessons to move towards opening up all of thailand.

this derogatory negativity is useless and tiresome.

consider screeching at some jungle trees in private rather than ranting nonsense here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It sounds like those who tested positive wouldn't have known they had Covid if they had not been tested. They were probably asymptomatic.

In Phuket there are now 34 ‘Red patients’ (serious condition, in ICU or on a respirator) and 338 ‘Yellow’ patients (having moderate symptoms with worry they might become Red). The other 2,825 Covid positives "in care" are in the Green category and have minor or no symptoms. 

The vaccines are designed to keep people from getting seriously ill and needing medical intervention. What was the red and yellow patients' vaccination status? Were they unvaccinated? Vaccinated with Sinovac? That's the kind of detail that is needed to make sense of the data. Surely the government knows. Why not release it? 

• Like 1

edit : replace “needing medical intervention” with “ dying “ !

politically, thai govt. treat all covid types & vaccines as “equal”, for reporting & statistical purposes

they cannot show the statistics of backing 95 % in Sinovac ,which doesnt combat the prevalent Delta very well, and coming late to the far more effective western vax party. 

• Haha 1

Problem I have with Supercheap is that aroma that was there at the original big place which I frequented from time to time. They managed to import that smell to all the small branches. And far too compacted in the smaller branches, Puts me off shopping there when there is a Makro next door in Kata and a Lotus Fresh other side of road. 

I suppose my wife equal time Kata market, Makro, and Supercheap.  But not Lotus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Ahhh you mean 'sandbox' or are you attempting to execute a snippet of humour, be facetious and, or,  sarcastic?  Pray learned sir what would your plans of managing the economy and a pandemic in Thailand be?

Easy my student

1. Vax the elderly and ill first (not vax 18yos in Phuket as a priority)

2. See 1 above

Kind of what happened in most places if you had bothered to do your homework

Grade F - must try harder

never politically possible here to vax farang elderly & sick when all thais initially clammering for vax.

govt. trying to play catch up with that since late June with such foreigners especially with so many elderly & sick thais declining to be vaxed. poster was silent on the “ managing the economy” part.

IT has been a while when i was there, but i love the place and it is huge.

Whole tuna for just 10 euro, i cant buy in my country.

Loads of stuff, but it is up to you what to buy.

My wife was very happy with the stone grinders for herbs.

yea they could improve some. I saw the deep frozen section, well at least all is deep frozen, but the refrigerators are totally covered in ice. Dont know if they changed it but it cost them a lot in electricity and efficiency. They should make a closed space for those, air conditioned. That will help a lot, as Thailand is very moist (up to humidity of 80%).

But handling of fresh meat, fish is the same as any other supermarket. Meat, fish on ice on a table wide open. The same as a Makro. I saw one makro in Phuket and also other supermarkets in the same way as supercheap. It is the common way in Thailand to store the meat in supermarkets, it seems. Yeah, it is different from western world.

I certainly would go there again when im around in Phuket.

1 minute ago, xtrnuno41 said:

<snip>

But handling of fresh meat, fish is the same as any other supermarket. Meat, fish on ice on a table wide open. The same as a Makro. I saw one makro in Phuket and also other supermarkets in the same way as supercheap. It is the common way in Thailand to store the meat in supermarkets, it seems. Yeah, it is different from western world.

I certainly would go there again when im around in Phuket.

Wrong. Makro have no fish or meat on open table or ice. Always under refridgeration. And store always aircon

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Wrong. Makro have no fish or meat on open table or ice. Always under refridgeration. And store always aircon

The one i was with, had ! I know where i was (Makro) and saw it with my own eyes.

Yes they had refrigerated show tables, but also meat on ice on tables, wide open and not in a refrigerated space. I even felt "disappointed" then, such a company doing the same. 

You have that system in all supermarkets (at least never saw different in all my times in Thailand). i found out. Common for Thailand.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Never a Customer. Filthy Warehouse Set Up. Makro it aint. Local Store next to Makro is full of poverty- stricken Thais , certainly riddled with covid, all pressed together inside, saving ten baht on a 400 baht basket and blocking one main road lane with mopeds & sidecars…..Terrible Hygiene. Customer Death from rat droppings on Coke Can……..typical Pile it High & Sell it Cheap….poor mans Lidl I suppose.

Even my (educated) Thai Lady would never go near the dump……..

From your description i will never go to super shop . I do hope you are correct in your review .