Phuket Opinion: A dare to be honest

webfact

p9.jpg

A small guesthouse in Patong sits empty as the shrouds wrapped around it start to fray. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Patience is growing thin with the lack of credibility of any government reports about the current state of the COVID situation in Phuket, the vaccines being deployed and of any genuine concern for the people of Phuket during the ever-extended economic crisis.

The latest debacle this week comes with the main SuperCheap store in Rassada being ordered closed for seven days over COVID infections. In announcing immediately after the daily meeting of the Phuket Provincial Communicable Disease Committee at Provincial Hall yesterday (Sept 11) that the megastore for cheap shopping located north of Phuket Town was to be closed, official reports gave the dates of the ordered closure as from Sept 11-17. Six hours later the actual order was released and the dates given were Sept 12-18.

That announcement came a full day after Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) Chief Kusak Kukiattikoon reported to Deputy Prime Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow that a cluster of infections already had been confirmed at a “large shopping mall”, which remained unnamed in official reports. Ironically, that message from Dr Kusak to Deputy PM Supattanapong was delivered in the very same room that the provincial disease committee sat in yesterday.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-a-dare-to-be-honest-81370.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-13

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailand needs to get its own house in order before starting to entertain foreign tourists and then they need to drop all the B S red tape and money gouging restrictions  - either open fully or don't bother, if you can't even open to your own local population how on earth are you ready for foreign visitors - all this is a political message to make the government look good in the news - the truth is something entirely different - "look we are opening up" just doesn't cut it on any level - Thailand is far from open or ready

WORD

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Sadly the prophetic nature of many in-country posters (and external ones too) about the silly-sandbox, the less-than honest governmental rhetoric and behaviours were,. it would seem to be true, mine included.

Despite us (humans) wishing and hopefully thinking there would be (in this country & in other nations as a cohesive global collective) governmental transparency, intelligent, and effective responses to 'the situation', coupled with population demand, belief, and expectation of definitive 100% effective medicines producing somewhat magical-relief from this viral avalanche have proven to be misplaced.

I have watched and read in many news feeds, networks, pundits, social commentators, vloggers, and forums across the globe expectations of some sort of pre-cognisance to viral emergence, evolution, and spread.

Surely warning signs of viral evolutions was/is known and yet vague e.g WHO CDC and many other world epidemiological bodies is to be rationally expected, and yet until known, a virus is unknown (even when it comes within a group of known viruses with similar features e.g SARS). 

Epidemiological history shows us this pre-knowing is often/sometimes only partial (as in the case of SARS family of influenza strains).

As to any further clear extent or understanding it is rare. 

Viruses emerge are unknown at emergence (or only fragmentally known), with a scientific, administrative, and sociological chase and more chase in responses i.e (understanding of and effective intervention). Viruses that are dangerous and virile are always smart and elegant and as such make themselves difficult to hunt down and kill.

After this observation and comment I return to the only course of action In can see that will preserve life, feed economic engines, and allow (as so many of my colleagues herein have commented) life to become 'normal' as possible again. That is to vaccinate rapidly, thus develop herd-immunity, and learn to live openly with the reality that some small percentage of the worlds population will indeed die from Covid despite mass inoculation, and herd-immunity development as happens with other influenza viruses already known. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

This is Phuket. The elderly and at risk are already vaccinated, allegedly. And not just them, also a high percentage of the young and not at risk. In fact, 80% of the population…allegedly.

I posted yesterday that the lack of transparency to Phuket’s Covid status is stunning. I also said that the wording of government announcements calls into question the data actually held by the authorities and their ability to analyze it properly. This article reiterates that.

something is badly wrong in Phuket. And I don’t mean Covid cases per se, I mean the way they are being handled from top to bottom. It’s a mess.

You are very mistaken if you think the elderly and at risk have been vaccinated, I do admit that you did say allegedly????But it’s not happened yet.

Posts using French language have been removed. English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

• Thanks 1