Bangkok on high alert for violence

george

The Constitution Tribunal acquits the Thai Rak Thai in collaborating with smaller parties and Election Commission officials to change information and party membership records so that candidates of small parties could be hired to run in the April election.

From The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30035599

Edit to add link since it's not on Nation Front Page now.

It's not on the breaking news page either, where did you find this link? Did they remove it from their menu?

Looks like it, odd the time was/is on page 8:06 so maybe their clocks wrong or in a few minutes.....

Regards

/edit clarification //

Sometimes news orgs pre-prepare short headlines to get up quick. It could have been one of those put up by a joker or by accident. They probably have a TRT cleared and TRT found guilty one for each verdict so they can get it up quick.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Judges for the Tribunal were nominated from other courts, not handpicked by the junta. Just a few days ago HM The King himself gave them another speech on importance of being true to the law.

I don't think it's fair to accuse the court of bending justice towards the generals, more like the generals staged the coup to bend the country towards justice instead.

Additionally, these are all well-qualified judges who held top positions in the judiciary BEFORE the coup....

Particularly, the chairman and deputy chairman were the two top judges in the country.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/final/judge.html

According to srirachas link the Jugdes was handpicked by the Dictators, but I would not presume to belive other than they all are good men if allowed to be, but that is precicely the point, they are not free to act as they wish.

I belive however they are clever enough to guard their backs through the lengthy and meticulus decisions they make today, because they all know this is not going to last, the days of the Junta are numbered, and the same jugdes might end up having the generals in court next, and they are the only ones who really has comitted a serius crime against this countrys constitution by by the unlawfull taking over of the country.

The minor squabbels by Thai standarts, the court are ruling on today is nothing compared to the crime of the Junta, and as mentioned by somone just designed to justifie the actions taken by the Generals stageing the coup.

Describing a millitary coup not backed by a majority of the populus, as Generals trying to bend the country towards justice, would be a worlds first, especially since said Generals belongs to the most currupt institution in Thai history, it is an absolute ludicrus notion :o .

I hope despite the odds, that today will be the first step towards freedom and democracy for the Thai people and Thailand, a chance to start again afresh, no matter what the court rulings is going to be later tonight.

Have a good evening while we wait for the final decisions.

Kindest regards :D

Judges for the Tribunal were nominated from other courts, not handpicked by the junta. Just a few days ago HM The King himself gave them another speech on importance of being true to the law.

I don't think it's fair to accuse the court of bending justice towards the generals, more like the generals staged the coup to bend the country towards justice instead.

Additionally, these are all well-qualified judges who held top positions in the judiciary BEFORE the coup....

Particularly, the chairman and deputy chairman were the two top judges in the country.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/final/judge.html

According to srirachas link the Jugdes was handpicked by the Dictators, but I would not presume to belive other than they all are good men if allowed to be, but that is precicely the point, they are not free to act as they wish.

I belive however they are clever enough to guard their backs through the lengthy and meticulus decisions they make today, because they all know this is not going to last, the days of the Junta are numbered, and the same jugdes might end up having the generals in court next, and they are the only ones who really has comitted a serius crime against this countrys constitution by by the unlawfull taking over of the country.

The minor squabbels by Thai standarts, the court are ruling on today is nothing compared to the crime of the Junta, and as mentioned by somone just designed to justifie the actions taken by the Generals stageing the coup.

Describing a millitary coup not backed by a majority of the populus, as Generals trying to bend the country towards justice, would be a worlds first, especially since said Generals belongs to the most currupt institution in Thai history, it is an absolute ludicrus notion :o .

I hope despite the odds, that today will be the first step towards freedom and democracy for the Thai people and Thailand, a chance to start again afresh, no matter what the court rulings is going to be later tonight.

Have a good evening while we wait for the final decisions.

Kindest regards :D

Just found this on The Nation.

Thai Rak Thai acquitted of changing party records

space.gif

The Constitution Tribunal acquits the Thai Rak Thai in collaborating with smaller parties and Election Commission officials to change information and party membership records so that candidates of small parties could be hired to run in the April election.

The tribunal is still readings verdict in other charges against the party.

The Nation

Present position:-

Tribunal has stated that

1. It has the authority to deliver the verdict in this case.

2. Regarding Thai Rak Thai argument that the Democrats, who boycotted the election, were not the damaged party and thus had no right to lodge complaints against it, the Tribunal ruled that allegations like this do not require "affected parties" to initiate charges. The political party registrar, if aware of wrongdoings, can initiate investigation right away, the Tribunal said.

3. The TRT argued that the Election Commission's subcommittee investigating the election fraud claim was "unfair" to the party. The Tribunal ruled that this claim did not weaken the case, so the investigative process continued when the case reached the prosecutors (the Auditor General's Office).

From The Nation {Blog}

Regards

PS Looks like the earlier Nation report was premature.

Thai Rak Thai escapes dissolution

BangkokPost.com

The Thai Rak Thai party was aquitted of charges that it cheated in the April, 2006 general election, and will not be dissolved, the Constitution Tribunal ruled

Judges said the party had "done a lot of good for Thailand" and also said that the barrier for dissolving a party was set high by the 1997 constitution and by human rights standards.

Thank God there's some sanity left in this country.

Your full of crap.

The verdict isn't in yet.

Works both ways - they have to follow the law, not their wishes.

I belive however they are clever enough to guard their backs through the lengthy and meticulus decisions they make today, because they all know this is not going to last, the days of the Junta are numbered...

Huh? Who's going to start the revolution? Six or eight protesters in front of the court building reported earlier? Misterious elephant army?

Did you personally count the opinions of the population? Because those who did, reported overwhelming support for the coup. And again, just a few days ago VAST majority of those polled were against any opposition to court verdict, whichever way it goes. Who's gonna start your imaginary revolution?

story looks like it was pulled

Yes, and a similar breaking-news report also appeared in the Nation, also to shortly disappear. Must be a coincidence, I'm sure. Or...

the fact that it has not been said yet by the tribunal...

I am watching it ... and though some of the legalese escapes me ..... so far it hasn't been said ... you are allowed to keep hoping though!

It looks like both bangkok Post and The Nation posted similar stories and have since elided them from their sites.

Human error seems the most likely explanation.

Regards

Link to Nation Story {if still there}

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30035599

Reminds me of election night 2000 :D He won ... no wait .... wasn't settled for WEEKS :o

Works both ways - they have to follow the law, not their wishes.

I was sort of presuming they wished to follow the law, try to read between the lines.

I belive however they are clever enough to guard their backs through the lengthy and meticulus decisions they make today, because they all know this is not going to last, the days of the Junta are numbered...

Huh? Who's going to start the revolution? Six or eight protesters in front of the court building reported earlier? Misterious elephant army?

I am not refering to a revolution, I am from a western democracy, but most Dictators have historically a short lifespan, and in the present climate in Thailand this Junta can not survive for long .

Did you personally count the opinions of the population? Because those who did, reported overwhelming support for the coup. And again, just a few days ago VAST majority of those polled were against any opposition to court verdict, whichever way it goes. Who's gonna start your imaginary revolution?

That is a load of b......., those polls where all made after the coup, it is an internationally reckognised fact that Thai Rak Thai had overwhelming support before the coup, and the elections that decided that, was the least currupt in Thai history.

Kind regards :D

In the previous case of a similar nature and significance the judges were bribed and coerced and intimidated, and not by the army.

This time around the army guarantees that none of that will happen again. I don't see the troops as any kind of threat to the court, do you?

I don't know about overwhelming support for TRT before the coup. After the botched April elections Thaksin claimed slim majority (53-47 or something) well BEFORE the vote counting was completed. After that claim, no official numbers were ever released.

No one wanted the coup before it happened, but were relieved afterwards, and polls showed that.

9 pm: More update. The Tribunal has, again, stated that despite the coup, the election and political parties laws are still applicable with the election fraud case.

Also, the Tribunal defended constitutionality of a possible dissolution verdict.

From The Nation {Blog}

In the previous case of a similar nature and significance the judges were bribed and coerced and intimidated, and not by the army.

This time around the army guarantees that none of that will happen again. I don't see the troops as any kind of threat to the court, do you?

I don't know about overwhelming support for TRT before the coup. After the botched April elections Thaksin claimed slim majority (53-47 or something) well BEFORE the vote counting was completed. After that claim, no official numbers were ever released.

No one wanted the coup before it happened, but were relieved afterwards, and polls showed that.

Point 1: you have evidence or is that just a comfortable rumor?

point 2: the army guaranteed only months before that coups were dead in the water.

Point 3: so what a waste of time and money- because by the time the Nov poll rolled around- and given the trajetory you describe, the TRT might have actually lost and Thailand would have survived a whole 16 years without a coup.

No one wanted the coup before it happened? Then why were people in the army planning it seven months before it happened?

Assuming point 1 is cross referencing as I've edited there was considerable evidence from the Judges themselves overtime about the activities of Thaksin's supporters leading up to the verdict in his asset concealment case. Also one the Judges openly commented later about being swayed by the number of votes TRT had won rather then the legal position.

Regards

/edit typo & vote clarification//

Edited by A_Traveller

Assuming point 1 is cross referencing as I've edited there was considerable evidence from the Judges themselves overtime about the activities of Thaksin's supports leading up to the verdict in his asset concealment case. Also one the Judges openly commented later about being swayed by the number of votes TRT had won rather then the legal position.

Regards

/edit typo & vote clarification//

The desire on the part of judges to ingratiate themselves to the PM of a country is, unfortunately, not a crime- it constitutes neither coercion, nor bribery nor intimidation.

Nor is it criminal that officials, including judges, in Thailand, seek to please the big people- without even being asked. This brings up the whole debate about individual principle vs- social harmony -but that's for another time.

If that is the case, and I am not saying that it isent, what on earth makes you belive that this is not the case now, and where in gods name did you learn that armies in millitary dictatorships guarentees rule of any law but their own :D .

And as far as I know there are as many as 20.000 or more army and police in Bangkok to qell any protests, and more ready just outside. would that be necessary on any normal day you think, are they just there to help old ladys over the road, and the roadblocks all over Thailand that the last 24 hours have turned trucks and busses around with supporters of the different parties, they was just helping them not to use to much gasoline, yes it is a real enviroment of love and peace the jugdes are working in :D .

Please dont refer to elections where there has been no official count of the votes, but even so there would have been a majority for Thai Rak Thai by your accounts, you know "Democracy"

And any poll after a coup is not worth the paper it is written on, I tend not to trust such things, the last i saw they had asked 2000 people in Bangkok, I am quite sure it would have looked slightly different if they had asked outside Bangkok, but then again, you would never have been allowed to se the result would you?

But I will end this here with you, we are pretty far apart and nothing you will say will make me jump with joy and bake cakes when armies overthrows international recognised legal governments :o .

Kind regards :D

The desire on the part of judges to ingratiate themselves to the PM of a country is, unfortunately, not a crime- it constitutes neither coercion, nor bribery nor intimidation.

Nor is it criminal that officials, including judges, in Thailand, seek to please the big people- without even being asked. This brings up the whole debate about individual principle vs- social harmony -but that's for another time.

With respect think you really should go away and research this one. The activities of persuasion were subsequently well documented, even alluded to in Chavalit's memoirs and are thus well known.

However, since it is a criminal offence to openly criticise the court {ask the last three election commissioners} it is something to be approached with delicacy.

Regards

The Constitutional Tribunal judges rule on Wednesday that two senior members of Thai Rak Thai party paid and hired small parties to contest in the national election last year.

The Tribunal said in its reading that former TRT deputy leader Thamarak Isarangura and ex-deputy secretary general Pongsak Ruktapongpisal were found guilty of violating the election laws by paying and hiring politicians of Pattana Chart Thai party to run in the April 2 national poll.

From The Nation

Time stamp from Page Last updated 10:12 pm (Thai local time)

Posted 22:01

More Data

The nine-member Tribunal said in its reading that former TRT deputy leader Thamarak Isarangura and ex-deputy secretary general Pongsak Ruktapongpisal involved in the paying and hiring politicians of Pattana Chart Thai party to run in the April national election.

Footage from closed-circuit cameras showed representatives of the parties waiting for Thamarak, then defence ministry, at the ministry. Pongsak is accused of acting as a negotiator for Thamarak while discussing the alleged hiring of small partis at the Thai Rak Thai headquarter.

From The nation

Edited by A_Traveller