Tipping In Restaurants In Thailand

Tammi

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai friends do not tip in restaurants and will not allow me to tip. What do you think? Do Thai waiters think farangs are crazy to leave 10% tips?

It depends on what type of restaurants/shops. If you eat in a small noodle shop, generally you don't have to tip. If you eat in a pricier place generally you have to tip, good rule is to look at people that eat there whether they tip.

Then there are hotel restaurants which automatically add on 10 % to your bill whether the service warrant for it or not :o

My opinions only:

I agree it depends on the place. There are so many grey areas though.

Of course nobody tips at street stalls. At a modest decent aircon sit-down restaurant, a modest tip, up to you, 20 baht is probably adequate for one or two people, or if you are feeling like it, 10 percent of the tab. I really think most Thais would certainly not be leaving even 10 percent at this kind of place. I also don't think the wacky US 20 percent custom is happening in Thailand at all (and good for that really). I would always leave some kind of tip at such a place unless the service was shockingly bad (not that uncommon); is it really OK to not do so?

The real grey areas for me are the high end and low end. For places that already charge plus plus, I don't feel like tipping anything more, there is already a 10 percent service charge. Of course, most of time I do tip a bit more because I feel it is expected, but not so happy about it.

At casual places one step up from street stalls, you know the places with 40 baht fried rice and flies, sometimes I tip and sometimes I don't. Its often more a matter of a keep the change the thing if there happens to be change due.

Am I a bad person? (Just kidding, don't answer that ...)

Edited by Jingthing

Thai friends do not tip in restaurants and will not allow me to tip. What do you think? Do Thai waiters think farangs are crazy to leave 10% tips?

My Thai friends do tip a bit but it is not like a percentage or anything. Lets say a bill comes to 281 baht a Thai would generally round it off to 300, most of the time but not all of the time. If I was paying they say to me 300 is enough, not give more. I follow their lead and tip like that all around Thailand.

If in doubt look at how much other Thais tip at the table next to you. If however the service is lousy or the food was not what I ordered then I do not tip.

At a waterside Restaurant ( The Malabar ) I gave a really lovely girl quite a large tip.

This was because ( I know what you dirty buggers were thinking ) my son has health problems and the attentiveness of this girl went well beyond the norm.

As we were leaving, I heard a great shouting match and saw the girl running away in tears. The manager came over and started to apologise for the girl. I asked him what he was on about and he replied that to be given such a gratuity she must have harassed our table. I explained, quite to the contrary, the girl was fantastic. More apologise all round and fantastic service ever since. God knows what would have happened to the poor girl if I had not managed to talk to the boss.

Moral of the story. Well none, accept I always tip good service, but I am now more aware of cultural norms and make sure the amount is appropriate.

Cultural norms. Good point. It goes both ways. I am under the impression that tipping is not a big part of Australian culture. But being an Australian in the US where tipping is pretty much required is no excuse for not tipping. Here in Thailand, Americans (for example because I do think they are biggest tipping culture in the world) think they should export their tipping culture to Thailand? I think they should not. I think we should take all our cues about such things from Thais in Thailand.

Does it matter really if it is a hiso place or a noodle stall. If you feel that the service you receive deserves a tip then give it. We are not in the States when it is expected this is a nice little corner of the world where the right to self determination runs as far as your wallet and beyond. I do agree that these places that add 10% are taking the michael somewhat as (it is obvious from my general train of thought) I like to decide if the service warrants the tip. :o

Well, I still think it is silly to tip at a noodle stall. They would probably think you are an idiot. Why not tip the clerk at 7-11 then?

you don't 'tip' at a noodle place ... but if your bill comes to 27 baht ... you'd leave the 3 baht anyways ... just not to be cheap ....

(but you'd leave the same 3 baht if it were 4 of you and it came to 137 baht :o

Well, I still think it is silly to tip at a noodle stall. They would probably think you are an idiot. Why not tip the clerk at 7-11 then?

You have just gone down vastly in my oppinion. You obviously did not even read my post.

you don't 'tip' at a noodle place ... but if your bill comes to 27 baht ... you'd leave the 3 baht anyways ... just not to be cheap ....

(but you'd leave the same 3 baht if it were 4 of you and it came to 137 baht :o

I agree of course. That would be a matter of politeness, not really a tip.

Enjoyment of a meal for me encompasses tasty and well cooked food and good attentive service.

So if I enjoy the meal I will leave a tip.

If I don`t enjoy the meal I will not leave a tip even though the service was good.

If the service was bad and the food good I will not leave a tip.

If the meal was excellent and the service excellent and there is no service charge + then I will leave a good tip.

If the meal was excellent and the service excellent and there is service charge + then the tip I leave will be much smaller........after all they have already included an amount to cover the good service.

In my opinion at the end of the day tipping should be proportionate to the overall enjoyment of the meal and take into account whether taxes have been added. :o

You have just gone down vastly in my oppinion. You obviously did not even read my post.

I read it. And I think your meaning was that it was OK to tip at a noodle stall if your heart told you to, and that is fine, but I still believe most Thai people would think you to be a fool for doing something so out of bounds of the local norms. That is all. Do you disagree?

Sorry you don't like me anymore. Perhaps I can wire you a large sum and then you will like me again? (I don't care!)

Edited by Jingthing

If you are with a large party of diners - say 6 or more, in a fairly decent Thai restaurant - say a mid priced outdoor seafood place or better, and there is a particular waiter or waitress, that takes good care of you and your guests, it is not unusual for the host (Thai) to give an 'extra' gratuity of 100 Baht or more to that waiter, in addition to the general tip that is left when the bill is paid.

Thais would never tip at a street noodle stall and suchlike, but in my experience - at other places they quite often tip more than many farangs.

At the end of the day, it's up to you, and anything you give will be appreciated.

Tip on the high side and you will score a few brownie point for us farangs - as Thais generally feel that the very rich should tip more, and they naturally assume all farangs are very rich. :o

Often times when I've been dining with a friend and the bill comes, I'll go to leave a nice tip and my friend will tell me "too mut" and take some back and put it in my hand.

It seems (some) of them, especially the ones I've known for awhile, think 20-30 baht is good enough for an average meal. Other friends, ones that I don't know as well, will say/do nothing (but I'll bet their brains are working overtime, calculating how much I left and how much I should have left).

When I'm alone, I'll generally round off the bill (i.e. a 164 baht bin becomes 200). If I've received good service, I'll leave a small tip on the tray, and slip the server a larger tip underneath (as I was taught to do by various Thai friends).

Noodle stalls and the like ? Again, depends on what the tab is at the end, but I'll usually round it up to the next highest figure that will let me pay in bills and not have to worry about change (i.e 32 baht becomes 40, 106 baht would be 120 and so on).

My biggest problem seems to be keeping enough small bills on hand to pay for the little things (taxi rides/noodles/coffees). Seems everytime I want to go out, all I've got is 1,000 baht bills and no one around who can change them. :o

You want beleve that, but the Family Market near my Condo has a Tip Box since tonight, yes, I was there in the afternoon, no Tip Box, now they have one.

Buy a Water for 7 baht, give 10 Baht and don't take the change for 3 baht, because you would be a cheap charlie. Only thing that comes to my mind is there must be a lot People out here who I just can name as the opening ot the place where the sun never shines.

Ah yes, I am relaxed, breath in, breath out, I am relaxed..................deeeeeeeeep breath in.......................... :o:D

I'm sorry i havn't read any other post but the 10% rule always aplys to good service in the western world, i always tip if the service is good even if the food isn't as they don't get paid a lot and its not there thought for the crap chefs.

Saying this i totally understand what your freinds are saying, my GF is shocked when i give a 20%+ tip on a 35 baht taxi ride(40 baht). Just do what you think it warrents, but do your best to make yourself look good.

Chris.

If I had good service and the meal was good, I leave a tip, if the meal was good and the service was no good, I wouldnt leave a tip, someone mentioned a tip at a 7/11, if I'm going to get shrapnel as change, I leave it (I guess you could call that a tip, I dont want poxckets fullof change)

When I see the kids flogging the key ring things, I give my shrapnel to them, they take it happily enough, I dont really need the keyrings, but I like the smile the kids give me (and I dont look beyond that, I dont care that the money may go to a drunken parent, most of the kids I give to look clean and fed)

I give to beggars, guess you could call that a tip, and I know that begging can be a proffension in Thailand, and some make a good living art it (but there must be some genuine beggers, like the ones with limbs missing)

My philosphy is, if you want to tip, or give your money away, do it/ or dont do it, dont complain, its your money, you worked for it, IF your happy with a serice, you can or dont give a tip, the choice is yours, it dont matter what others do

It dont matter if its a noodle stall or a 5* resturant/hotel, choice is yours to make

* if I'm not happy with a service in the US, I still leave a tip, but just make it 1 cent,and dont use them again, BUT I dont like the US custom of tipping 10-20%, I leave whatever the service warrants

When thais are paying with their own money a very small or no tip is typical. When it is the farangs money Thais are much more generous about tipping. I usually leave a small to moderate tip 10 - 50 baht depending on situation. However never a tip at the nitelife bars.

I read it. And I think your meaning was that it was OK to tip at a noodle stall if your heart told you to, and that is fine, but I still believe most Thai people would think you to be a fool for doing something so out of bounds of the local norms. That is all. Do you disagree?

Sorry you don't like me anymore. Perhaps I can wire you a large sum and then you will like me again? (I don't care!)

Aye

It's not worth to get angry at the nice quiet People of the USA. They probably trie to give there Mother a Tip when they get breastfeeded. But that's only a guess :o

as a not so quiet American living in the Kingdom, I often tip. I seldom tip anywhere there is a built in service charge. I dislike the practice and it often does not go to the servers. At 2 expensive, 2-5000 baht for 2, restaurants that have a built in 10% charge I will often, put something extra in the hand of my particular servers. I get excellent service at these 2 places. When my wife and I were sick and called for delivery service at one place, our favorite waiter arrived quickly with our soup and main course warm and set up just as we wanted plus some thoughtful uncharged for extras. I tip at other places based on service and food quality. In the US there are many places that pay very little to the servers and the good ones make out well on tips. I rather have a good server smile to see me arrive and serve me well. As others have said, it is a personal decision and should not be worried over.

Also while I never tipped my mom, I have tipped some mothers, what was your name again?

Wire me the money, I will like you big time! :D

I agree, don't tip on noodle stalls - unless you have further intentions with the serving lady! :o

As far as I understand Thais only tip when they get something extra that can not be considered included in the price you pay, like if you need a porter to carry your bags to your hotel room or if the taxi driver help you to carry your groceries to your door.

In a restaurant the employees are employed to give you good service and they are paid in line with others doing similar work where there is no tipping. The only time Thais tip in restaurants is when the service is bad, a small tip will then indicate that they need to improve and the tip is a contribution to this improvement. Thais with knowledge of western cultures may also tip when in company of westerners to avoid loosing face, even though tipping is not required.

In US, and some European countries, the salary level for waiters are much lower than for similar work as the tip is considered part of the pay, have even heard of restaurants in the US where the waiters have to pay to work there as the tip is so high.

The only area in Thailand where tipping seems to be compulsory is in the farang bar world, this is normally run and frequented by farangs and it seems like the salary system there depends partly on tipping.

Tipping should be discouraged, like it used to be in Singapore where all restaurant and bar receipts used to have "No tipping please" printed in bold red. The main reasons it was introduced in the west was so the restaurants could display lower prices and avoid taxes and social costs.

If you get exceptional service in a restaurant make sure you thank the service crew so their supervisor can see it or even better mention the good service to the supervisor as you leave. This will give them face and help when they are up for salary reviews and promotions.

It's not worth to get angry at the nice quiet People of the USA. They probably trie to give there Mother a Tip when they get breastfeeded. But that's only a guess :o

Also while I never tipped my mom, I have tipped some mothers, what was your name again?

He shoots and scores! :D

classic KDF :D

PKG