Cleaning White UPVC

PFMills

We are having the house painted so an ideal time to get all of your UPVC cleaned.

When we bought the house, the builder Left some cleaner. I think it might have been CTC. Whatever it was it worked well.

Can anyone suggest what they have had a lot of success with please. I’ve already tried the vinegar and hot water and it doesn’t work well.

The problem is it's likely not just dirt, the PVC will yellow somewhat over time and it needs the surface layer removing.

This is the stuff you need if you can get it here https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/cleaners/glazing-cleaners/pvcu-solvent-cleaner/

It's pretty nasty stuff too https://res-5.cloudinary.com/diq3xoegw/image/upload/v1/safety datasheets/cleaning/glazing cleaners/everbuild_pvcu_solvent_cleaner_v1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

In this country with the amount of UV light we get, I would paint the pipe at the same time as painting the house. 

I am not going to have all my white UPVC windows painted. They look OK to me anyway it’s just Mrs.

I’ve seen a product by HG that looks interesting. I think HomePro have it.

28 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Does what your builder left smell like carbon-tet?

I thought that stuff was outlawed in most civilised countries.

It’s all being used now but yes it did. It certainly work well.

7 minutes ago, PFMills said:

I am not going to have all my white UPVC windows painted. They look OK to me anyway it’s just Mrs.

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1035573

At 229 Baht a pop it's certainly worth a shot. Homepro Chaeng Wattana have it in stock.

It's just a cleaner (no solvents) so it won't remove any yellowing ???? 

You could try 1000 grit wet-n-dry used wet on a bit that's not very visible.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crossy said:

the PVC will yellow somewhat over time

That's a big problem here. The strong sunlight yellows a lot of white plastics. I have everything from white toilet seats to trim on kitchen cupboards that has turned yellow. Even the weights in the vertical blinds tend to crumble after a few months. I presume due to strong UV. Black plastics also seem to go sticky.

Been told they have not been UV stabilised.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phetphet said:

The strong sunlight yellows a lot of white plastics. I have everything from white toilet seats

Yes the toilet seats have all completely yellowed in direct contrast to the white porcelain.

I have some UPVC windows/doors however that have not yet yellowed after 10 years but equally only get the sun for probably half a day max.

2 hours ago, topt said:

Yes the toilet seats have all completely yellowed in direct contrast to the white porcelain.

I have some UPVC windows/doors however that have not yet yellowed after 10 years but equally only get the sun for probably half a day max.

And how much direct sun do the toilet seats get?

I have never been able to get rid of the yellowing to such a degree that whatever it is looks better overall than when I started. There always seem to be areas that just won't clean up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PFMills said:

Apples and oranges. From a plastics point of view. I was talking about pipes.

6 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Apples and oranges. From a plastics point of view. I was talking about pipes.

Sorry mate, I should have been more tactful with my reply.

Obviously caught the illness from reading too many TV posts ????

Thank guys for the inputs

I bought some of that HG UPVC cleaner. Didn’t notice much difference, if any.

Anyway Mrs PF has ordered some acetone based UPVC cleaner that she saw advertised. So will give that a try. I’ll update if it is any good.

Certainly haven’t noticed any yellowing, there again my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PFMills said:

Thank guys for the inputs

I bought some of that HG UPVC cleaner. Didn’t notice much difference, if any.

Anyway Mrs PF has ordered some acetone based UPVC cleaner that she saw advertised. So will give that a try. I’ll update if it is any good.

Certainly haven’t noticed any yellowing, there again my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be.

Real careful with it....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

If it poor quality PVC which being in Thailand I would think it is nothing will clean it the stuff yellow that’s why most people have aluminium frames that have been powder coated 

Poor quality is correct, I fitted uPVC windows ,doors in UK. The uPVC was from decuinec, Belgium company .None of the windows we fitted went yellow because of the quality yet many in the UK did.

As for cleaning we used a cream cleanser such as jif which you can get here, not same name. It won't scratch the plastic after spray with a glass cleaner all good.

1 hour ago, Black arab said:

As for cleaning we used a cream cleanser such as jif which you can get here, not same name. It won't scratch the plastic after spray with a glass cleaner all good.

Glad it works for you however from Anglian - 

https://www.anglianhome.co.uk/double-glazing-windows/clinic/how-to-clean-upvc-windows

To ensure that you’re using materials appropriate for use, avoid the following:

• Cream cleaners
  • Bleach
  • White spirits
  • WD-40
  • Scouring pads
  • Nail varnish remover
  • Methylated spirits

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

If it poor quality PVC which being in Thailand I would think it is nothing will clean it the stuff yellow that’s why most people have aluminium frames that have been powder coated 

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

No, it’s not gone yellow and we bought the house new in 2004.1 It just doesn’t look new anymore but what can you expect after all this time.

Let’s wait and see what this magic stuff that Mrs PF has ordered does.

l’ll post a before and after photo.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, Yellowtail said:

And how much direct sun do the toilet seats get?

I have never been able to get rid of the yellowing to such a degree that whatever it is looks better overall than when I started. There always seem to be areas that just won't clean up.

I bought a new toilet seat, very nice beach/sea-shell/sand picture for 599 baht.
Homepro, fit yourself in 5 minutes.