JAL vs EVA

HappyExpat57

I've been itching to get back to see family on the west coast (San Francisco and Seattle) and have been watching EVA for some time. Round trip BKK to SFO has held steady at a little more than twice what it used to cost pre-Covid.

For grins and giggles, I searched Japan Airline, and their prices are lower than EVA before Covid.

Both comparisons based on round trip business class in early December, midweek departing and returning.

Any ideas why such a lower price? How about quality of JAL vs EVA?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, timendres said:

Have flown both EVA and JAL and both are excellent. I would happily fly either airline again. I prefer EVA slightly more, only because I like the airport in Taiwan a little more than the airport in Japan for layovers. Given the price difference I would have no problem recommending JAL.

I have my own "personal" table in Taiwan - back in the corner, several electrical outlets. Yes, Taiwan is an excellent layover. However, I think that's currently shut down due to Covid. Thanks for the info!

i agree with the general sentiment that BOTH are excellent… and i would also happily fly either again with zero reservations or worries.

that said, on a purely preference, I’m more a fan of layovers in NRT/HND than i am in TPE— but that’s me and that’s my opinion on a pre-covid basis.. and right NOW, situations can vary widely on a POST-covid basis.

Heres one thing that i might be mindful of.. given the various rules that apply to travel… I would be mindful of the fact that rules related to your TRANSIT point can also jeopardize your overall plans… so, right now i might lean more heavily on a flight that transits through a point that is “safer” or historically less prone to C19 TRANSIT passenger restrictions.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've fly Eva exclusively (BKK-SFO) and done research as to how they market their fares before Covid,  right now due to a lack of competition their prices are pretty much set Eva is one of the few airlines during the pandemic that isn't in big financial hole reason they are carrying a lot of cargo.

What Eva is doing when you log on to their website although you see schedule and flights they aren't really operating especially in and out of Bangkok. If you are able to book a trip for example two month down the road you will be able but as the date gets closer and nothing has changed with the situation they will contact you and refund or reschedule with a penalty charge. Also on their website look at the top in regards to information noted as to their transit area which is basically closed.

As noted Eva connection process is much easier than JAL plus JAL doesn't operate in or out of SFO, they use a code share like ANA? the layover in Japan is much longer I believe if you use JAL, code share ANA you land in one airport layover like 8 hours you got to transport to Narita by train or bus?   My cousin last year had a booking on Eva, after a number of cancellation by EVA, as I noted above they finally gave him an option on ANA. 

Checking prices last year on Eva it was somewhere between 45-52,000 baht although I knew they weren't operating, Cathay Pacific has a pretty good connection from BKK-HongKong-SFO, the times are very similar departing and arriving the price was under 25,000 baht but a few month prior Cathay was having a dispute with whether the flight crew needed to be quarantine on arrival so they discontinue the route until further notice. That might be another option?  Good luck.

When I was travelling back and forth between Thailand and SFO I would typically fly EVA.  Their Economy Plus seats are quite good and for me actually more comfortable than business class.  Service in non-business class can be a bit gruff at times though.  

I usually get the indian vegetarian meals.  It was on an EVA flight that, after being married to a Taiwanese national for decades, I realized how much I dislike Chinese cuisine.  Just the smell did it, not the actual food.

BR and JL are both outstanding in business class. Among the best in the world. At a high level, you can’t go wrong. Take the cheapest. 

Like some others, I prefer to transit Japan vs. Taipei. I find Taipei transit a little more burdensome with longer transit queues. Hard to beat Japanese efficiency (although my last couple of transits through Narita on JL were horrible due to everyone being funneled to a single understaffed transit point). Also, keep in mind that Tokyo has two airports and JL’s lowest business class flight may involve having to connect between the airports which is a *major* pain. From a COVID perspective, you are currently (and I want to stress the “currently” part) allowed to transit Japan (as long as you’re not changing airports) and you’re not allowed to transit Taipei (unless one is Taiwanese). 

For the inflight experience, you won’t be disappointed with the service on either. BR will likely use the 777-300ER for SFO and JL the 777-300ER or the 787-8/9. The BR cabin is setup 1-2-1 seating which is best-in-class for business. On the JL flights (except some of the latest 787-9) the pods are 2-2-2. They are offset so it doesn’t seem that crowded but definitely not as good as BR. However, if you’re traveling with two people the JL config may be better. 

For earning miles, remember BR is Star Alliance and JL is One World if that matters to your earnings / status. 

I prefer EVA over JAL but both are good.  In reality I would be happy flying either.  I kind of like Taipei's airport and transit area a little better but usually my connections are very short.  I haven't looked into booking flights lately so I'm not sure what the situation is like transiting through either Taipei or Narita.