B7 or diesel

Valentine

48 minutes ago, Valentine said:

We have a 7 year old Isuzu which always ran on diesel & for some reason we changed to B7 which now is considerably more expensive. Is it OK to switch back to diesel or would that cause problems?

It's another controversial question involving the life of Diesel engines.

Isuzu engines are know to be strong engines.

Our 2017 new designed 1.9 engine can run on B20 when it was available.

At the moment our local garages only stock B10 labeled as diesel only and B7 labelled as such.

If your concern use B7 in your truck.

• Haha 1

The subsidies are what is creating the confusion.

As said above, what you bought before was B7 - it was just called diesel.

B10 is the new standard, and will in time go the way of the dodo in favor of B20

Our DMax is 2004 - 3 liter - and it has caused no issues using B10

Never tried B20 but expect it too will run fine

27 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

The subsidies are what is creating the confusion.

As said above, what you bought before was B7 - it was just called diesel.

B10 is the new standard, and will in time go the way of the dodo in favor of B20

Our DMax is 2004 - 3 liter - and it has caused no issues using B10

Never tried B20 but expect it too will run fine

Yeah your right they say to B20 on older vehicles it will need a slight adjustment not sure what they mean by that I thought trucks with ECU's would cope with it. 

34 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah your right they say to B20 on older vehicles it will need a slight adjustment not sure what they mean by that I thought trucks with ECU's would cope with it. 

The higher ethanol content B20 can be damaging to seals etc. Even my 2015 Isuzu would require mods (3000 baht ?) to run safely on it. I’m not sure about it’s energy content either  - the new E10 gasoline(petrol) in UK that’s just been switched to gives worse consumption for that very  reason.

I could use B10 diesel without mods but for now I’m sticking with B7 for the extra couple of baht per litre .

45 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

They probably mean any o-rings in the fuel lines and into/out of the filters

As far as the ECU I do not believe there will be any problems.

I am not going to do nuttin' with mine until you can not buy B10 any more, and am forced to use B20. Then keep an eye out for any weeping and/or drips.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

The higher ethanol content B20 can be damaging to seals etc. Even my 2015 Isuzu would require mods (3000 baht ?) to run safely on it. I’m not sure about it’s energy content either  - the new E10 gasoline(petrol) in UK that’s just been switched to gives worse consumption for that very  reason.

I could use B10 diesel without mods but for now I’m sticking with B7 for the extra couple of baht per litre .

As in Thailand not UK as well say up to you. 

23 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I am not going to do nuttin' with mine until you can not buy B10 any more, and am forced to use B20. Then keep an eye out for any weeping and/or drips.

Fair call the big scary thing of rubber components melting but I have for a long time thought the O-ring and rubber ethanol resistant stuff has been about a long time. 

When you see a breakdown in these components you can change them cheap enough just through servicing schedules.

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Fair call the big scary thing of rubber components melting but I have for a long time thought the O-ring and rubber ethanol resistant stuff has been about a long time. 

When you see a breakdown in these components you can change them cheap enough just through servicing schedules.

For years o-rings have been made of nitrile. Tough, long lasting.

My 2001 Dyna had them throughout the fuel system, and gasahol did not effect them.

People just repeating old wives tales from the 70's and 80's about problems.

New cars - made this century - am sure will have them, so no problem with ethanol

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

When you get weeping and drips on a diesel if its on the input not return, it will be time for a mechanic

2016 MUX Diesel seems 6 months ago 1,000 baht filled to 3/4 today 1,000 baht.. has priced increased

and that significant? I searched the Internet and couldn’t find clear information or I don’t know how to read it. 

Thanks

Edited by DJ54
Year of MUX

On 9/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, nchuckle said:

Not Ethanol

B7 B10 and B20 are Biodiesel, made from Palm tree

E10 E20 and E85 or what's called 'Gasohols' are Ethanol made from cane sugar

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, digbeth said:

Not Ethanol

B7 B10 and B20 are Biodiesel, made from Palm tree

E10 E20 and E85 or what's called 'Gasohols' are Ethanol made from cane sugar

Thank you for that clarification. Are you aware of any performance disadvantage for the B20 and why Isuzu (Head office issued statement) advises a set of modifications required for my 2015 truck to run on it ? 

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Thank you for that clarification. Are you aware of any performance disadvantage for the B20 and why Isuzu (Head office issued statement) advises a set of modifications required for my 2015 truck to run on it ? 

For the older 2.5 engines not about the 3.0 engines,  it was mentioned at the time and the mod was from memory 1000baht approx, not sure but I believe it's a chip ECU upgrade to increase pressure to the injectors.

Meanwhile the old chap who takes away the used cooking oil from the family restaurant (rather limited quantity these days) is still happily filtering it and mixing 50-50 with pump fuel.

I'll bet he's using B20 from the pump so he's on something like B70 ???? 

His ancient Nissan indirect-injection pickup seems happy with it, and yes, the exhaust smells of fried fish ???? 

No way that's going anywhere near our common-rail diesels but the farmer's iron-buffaloes also seem pretty happy on it.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile the old chap who takes away the used cooking oil from the family restaurant (rather limited quantity these days) is still happily filtering it and mixing 50-50 with pump fuel.

I'll bet he's using B20 from the pump so he's on something like B70 ???? 

His ancient Nissan indirect-injection pickup seems happy with it, and yes, the exhaust smells of fried fish ???? 

No way that's going anywhere near our common-rail diesels but the farmer's iron-buffaloes also seem pretty happy on it.

Yeah reminds me of years ago during the fuel crisis in UK reading about a Chicken farmer somewhere using piles of chicken Poo which he produced gas from and run his farm vehicles on it.  

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1