Non-O Volunteer 25th Sep deadline

Received a message a few days ago that the non-O volunteer visa would have to be extended before the 25th September.

After further elaboration, it turns out that there's a planned shake-up in the visas issued by a agency, which many people recommend.

This is a question aimed at those with actual experience of this visa and please not those who wish to bore the masses with their morale high ground.

"Are all agents around the country, being hit with this deadline and what is their advice, and feedback for the future, in regard to those currently on this visa?"

• Haha 1

Probably just an agent trying to cash in on the uncertainty regarding the future availability of Covid extensions, so they try to entice as many people as possible to sign up for a volunteer visa before the deadline? Just a wild guess, based on past performance though.

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

Thank you for all of your replies.

Before covid appeared, I had not used an agent, but yes it was all purely down to the uncertainty with no borders to any nearby countries being open and that doesn't look likely to change this year.

My current extension ends early December, so being told that I have to extend within one week's time means I stand to lose over 2 months on an annual extension, as it is not within the 45 days period

Could anyone explain what is happening on the 30th September and how the rules may change?

I may well only need an extra 90 days after my current extension ends, so may not even need a one year extension, but unless the covid extension period is extended it is unclear how I would achieve this without paying an agent almost the same as for the reduced annual extension being promoted.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, losable said:

Before covid appeared, I had not used an agent, but yes it was all purely down to the uncertainty with no borders to any nearby countries being open and that doesn't look likely to change this year.

Actually, there is a decent chance that Cambodia will open within the next month or two. They have done an excellent job on vaccination, and are now keen to reopen as soon as they deem it feasible. I do not think same day border bounces are on the short term radar, but flying to Phnom Penh for a weekend, returning to a Bangkok sandbox may become feasible. Singapore may also become an option, depending on how bad the Covid outbreak here remains. Obviously, to take advantage, you would need to be fully vaccinated.

• Like 2

OP, why haven't you spoken to another agent for another opinion.

I am unaware of how extensions to a permission of stay for non O volunteering works with an agent.

Ongoing extensions are possible for agent non O retirement. That's very common.

You also mention that possibly only needing another 90 days past early December. 

Personally I would talk to well know agent. Also I would use the current permit of stay (early Dec) and access options then.

Edited by DrJack54

7 hours ago, losable said:

My current extension ends early December, so being told that I have to extend within one week's time means I stand to lose over 2 months on an annual extension, as it is not within the 45 days period

Since the agent will be getting help from a immigration office I am certain your extension will start in December. The 45 day rule really means nothing for the permit to stay date you get.

7 hours ago, losable said:

Could anyone explain what is happening on the 30th September and how the rules may change?

There are no rule changes going into effect on the 30th.

There are a few orders related to entry to the country and the issuance of visas. For example orders that allowed the STV and 45 day visa exempt is due to expire on the 30th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MajorTom said:

Lets say one hits the wall with the NON-O Volunteer. Is it possible to switch to NON-ED without leaving the country? Or worst case to the Elite visa?

Why would you hit the wall with the Non o volunteer?

If there is going to be a final deadline for extending, could you not just get your 12 month extension before the deadline, or am I missing something?

8 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Why would you hit the wall with the Non o volunteer?

If there is going to be a final deadline for extending, could you not just get your 12 month extension before the deadline, or am I missing something?

Well the OP indicates a deadline end of this month. Reason is unknown, maybe it wont even happen.

But if it does, I will not be in the country to reach it.

That "notice" from the agents/agencies came about because of the yearly shuffle of section heads (the higher ups move who runs each office), That's what's taking place at the end of this month AND it will take some time for the 'dust to settle' once the new people get in place.
Believe me the system isn't gonna change (it's too big and generates too much baht). Give it some time so the new section chiefs know how many back-door, under the table, visa/extensions their office does and things will go back to business as usual.