The Constitutional Tribunal Disbands Thai Rak Thai - Election cheating

george

Though I may be in error, this appears to be an Editorial not an Op-Ed piece, by The Japan Times. As in The Bangkok Post the author of the daily editorial is not identified, that is entirely usual. It is however, becoming common practice to identify any Op-Ed piece by author or attribution.

Regards

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CDC : some politicians stripped from political power are finding ways to attract attention

The Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) discloses some of power losers are trying to hire people to join in rallies in Bangkok. It, however, believes people will not be misled.

CDC Chairman Sqn.Ldr.Prasong Soonsiri (ประสงค์ สุ่นศิริ) indicates the power losers are trying all ways so they can resume their power, especially using power of money to hire people. Nevertheless, he denies giving further details related to power losers’ movements.

As for the today’s CDC meeting, all 35 CDC members will consider overall details, including opinions proposed by agencies. The meeting will look into qualifications of Senators and House of Representatives particularly as it has yet been concluded. CDA members can propose the amendment of the constitution draft till June 11th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 June 2007

I know nothing of Japan Times. Is it on par with Bangkok Herald Examiner?

Sometimes people here see a big difference in how our local Nation and Bangkok Post spin some issues. We know their background and they are fairly predictable in their editorials.

Local Japs have not been scared yet, they are simply watching and waiting for situation to clear up. I don't think they want Thaksin back or believe in immediate restoration of 1997 Consitution.

Democrat leader says it is too soon for politicians to come to terms

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva says he was unaware of the meeting between Democrat Secretary-General Suthep Thuagsuban, Mahachon Party leader Sanan Kajornprasart, and Wang Phaya Nak faction leading member Phinij Jarusombat. However, he says it is usual for politicians to meet each other.

Mr. Abhisit says this is not a proper time for politicians to take sides, but they have to work together in solving national problems. He says no MPs from other parties have approached the Democrat Party yet because many issues, such as the origin of MPs and the number of constituencies, are still unclear. Mr. Abhisit says the Democrat Party will host the meeting with the three former opposition parties on June 15th. He says the meeting will discuss ways to maintain peace and order in the country.

Meanwhile, Maj. Gen. Sanan says he did not meet with Mr. Suthep and Mr. Phinij, adding that such meeting would be too soon. Maj. Gen. Sanan says he will have to join the meeting with the three former opposition parties first.

National police chief says police are prepared for political movements if announcement no. 15 of CDR has been lifted

The acting Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, says the police are prepared to take care of potential political movements if the 15th announcement of the Council for Democratic Reform has been lifted. After revocation of the CDR’s 15th announcement will allow parties to conduct political activities.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth says the police are closely evaluating the political situation while the public security officers are monitoring the news continuously. As for the movements of gunmen and influential figures, he says the Crime Suppression Division is dealing with this issue. Pol. Gen. Seripisuth says he has divided tasks with his deputies and assistants, and he believes the police officers will keep up with their works well.

More than 500 local officials and residents in Kalasin province unite to call for peace in the nation, asking radical groups to stop wreaking havoc amid the current political crisis.

On Wednesday, about 500 local officials and residents in Kalasin province's 14 districts ask to meet with the Kalasin governor.

The group asked the governor to deliver a letter, stating their wishes to the Prime Minister and the Council for National Security, asking radical groups demonstrating against the junta and the government, particularly the People's Television Organization (PTV), to stop their movement.

The local group says capitalists may be backing these radical movements to break harmony among Thai people. The group asked the government and the Council for National Security to pose strong measures against the radicals and host a general election as soon as possible.

I know nothing of Japan Times. Is it on par with Bangkok Herald Examiner?

Whilst accepting fully the piece is opinion, to clarify, The Japan Times is an English language paper, which is independently owned, and has a publishing history of 110 years. It's output is also one of the international papers held as part of Princeton's University Library, amongst others archives.

Regards

/edit clarification//

Edited by A_Traveller

I'm talking about ciritisism vs defamation. In Thailand there are rules and precedents to separate one from another.

I don't have an opinion on whether contempt of court and defamation should be decriminalised. I think it's a bit harsh, but I don't really know the details.

It's extremely harsh, especially because in defamation suits in Thailand, the defendants (those who made the statements) and NOT the plaintiffs bear the burden of proof.

PM to talk about Thailand in 8 months on June 10

The Prime Minister, Gen. Surayud Chulanont, will disclose the government’s remaining tasks following the conclusion of the party dissolution case to members of the public via television and radio stations on June 10th. He is confident that the general public will understand the work direction of the government.

The Government Spokesperson, Army Captain Yongyuth Mayalarp, reveals the Prime Minister is scheduled to record a special program today (Jun 8). In the program, the Prime Minister will discuss the situation of the country during the next eight months. He will discuss ways for public members to help solve social issues and the projects the government is working on following the verdict of the party dissolution case.

Army Captain Yongyuth says the Prime Minister will also speak about His Majesty the King’s Sufficiency Economy philosophy at the Phitsanulok House program this weekend.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 June 2007

Though I may be in error, this appears to be an Editorial not an Op-Ed piece, by The Japan Times. As in The Bangkok Post the author of the daily editorial is not identified, that is entirely usual. It is however, becoming common practice to identify any Op-Ed piece by author or attribution.

Regards

Editorials are the paper's official opinion :o Opinion pieces are editorials written by other people and are almost always attributed ..... They both go on the Op-Ed pages typically <and with the Editorial staff's opinion coming first :D>

as for being in a Uni's library ... many papers are :D

Edited by jdinasia

Charan claims senior officials tried to pay bribe in TRT case

Justice Ministry permanent-secretary Charan Pakdithanakul Monday claimed that a senior official tried but failed to pay kickbacks for an acquittal verdict in the electoral fraud case involving the Thai Rak Thai Party.

"A ranking official approached Constitution Tribunal judges and offered them bribes to fix the verdict," Charan said in reference to the last month's guilty verdict and dissolution of the former ruling party.

He refused to name the official and the judges involved.

"Someone might have thought that money could buy everything," he said, sidestepping a question on the amount of money offered.

Reacting to Charan's comments, tribunal judge Thanis Kesawapirak said he was unaware of any bribery attempts.

"I formed my decision based on legal principles and did not know how Charan got his information," he said.

Source: The Nation - 11 June 2007

Justice Ministry permanent-secretary Charan Pakdithanakul Monday claimed that a senior official tried but failed to pay kickbacks for an acquittal verdict in the electoral fraud case involving the Thai Rak Thai Party.

put him in the witness box ,

ask the question again ,

arrange accommodation at the Bkk Hilton till answer is forth coming .

"A ranking official approached Constitution Tribunal judges and offered them bribes to fix the verdict," Charan said in reference to the last month's guilty verdict and dissolution of the former ruling party.

"Someone might have thought that money could buy everything," he said, sidestepping a question on the amount of money offered.

Reacting to Charan's comments, tribunal judge Thanis Kesawapirak said he was unaware of any bribery attempts.

"I formed my decision based on legal principles and did not know how Charan got his information," he said.

And I thought the waters were muddy enough allready. Here we go, one side will blame the other & vice versa until there is no public confidence in the ruling & we'll be back to square one.

Soundman.

Charan says he has bribe note to judges

A top Justice Ministry official said yesterday he had a letter with signatures of people who offered bribes to judges to acquit Thai Rak Thai in the electoral fraud case last month.

Permanent secretary Charan Phakdithanakul dropped the bombshell bribery allegation on Monday that a senior official tried to secure a not guilty verdict for the Thai Rak Thai Party by offering money to the judges.

He said two judges were offered the kickbacks to fix the verdict not to dissolve Thai Rak Thai but they refused to accept the bribes.

Charan refused to say if the two judges were from the Constitution Tribunal, Supreme or Administrative courts.

"My proof is solid because it is not just a statement but a hand-written letter. I want to show the letter but I have yet to ask for permission from the owners," Charan said.

He said the letter did not indicate a clear amount of money but it was written by hand and endorsed with signatures and a date.

Charan said bribery was a crime and the people who were offered kickbacks were the damaged party and could take legal action against the people who tried to bribe them.

Charan refused to name the official or the judges involved.

Tribunal judge Thanis Kesawapirak said on Monday he was unaware of any bribery attempt.

"The judge who said he knew knowing about the bribery has nothing to do with it or wasn't involved in the matter," Charan said.

Thanis voiced scepticism that any of the nine tribunal judges were offered kickbacks. He urged authorities to get to the bottom of the allegation in order to clear up any doubts about the judicial system.

Judicial Office deputy secretary-general Sarawut Benjathikul said offenders could be jailed for up to seven years and fined up to Bt14,000 for offering bribes.

- The Nation

gallery_16522_431_14677.jpg

Suwat Liptapanlop

Tony Clifton News Services

Suwat may form new party

Former TRT Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop said yesterday he and 30 defectors from the Thai Rak Thai Party plan to set up a new party to try to continue political activities.

The group call themselves Saman Chan (reconciliation), and currently has 30 members.

Matchima, Suwat, Phinij who have all ruled out staying with TRT control up to about one third of previous TRT MPs scattered over the central region, lower north, northern Isaan and Korat. We have already seen Sonthaya and earlier Snoh leave TRT plus some more independent MPs from the lower North. Is it possible that TRT is now starting to break up back into the original parties and party factions it came from?

FIVE YEARS AN ETERNITY

For Suwat Liptapanlop, who was deputy leader of Thai Rak Thai, five years is a long time to be banished to the political wilderness. In an interview with Pradit Ruangdit, he shares his feelings after the Constitution Tribunal did just that to him and 110 other party executive members.

How did you feel when you lost your electoral rights?

I'd never ever thought of it before and sympathise with other party executives. Personally, my heart sank when I knew that I was suspended from political activity for five years. When a politician is not allowed to step into a constituency for a couple of days he cannot help feeling very bad, but, in my case, it lasts as long as five years. When I returned to Nakhon Ratchasima, people told me it was all right and five years was a very short time. I knew they wanted to cheer me up, but, to me, it seems like eternity.

Have you ever felt disheartened or given up on politics?

When we return to a constituency, we feel like we are going back home and meeting our wives and children. It seems like a place we belong to. When I go back to Nakhon Ratchasima, I can't help but feel as if I'm taking a trip down memory lane to the time when I was elected a member of parliament for the first time 19 years ago. Despite the ban on political activities for five years, I will find it hard to give up politics because it has become part of my life. The same applies to the others affected by the ban. Giving it up means all the sacrifices we've made mean nothing. Every politician knows in his heart that a constituency is his life. If any one of them says they can give it up, I give them a thumbs-up.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/14Jun2007_news03.php

==========================

Well deserving of another medal like the one pictured above.

3rd Army Commander says no suspicious political movement this time around in the North

The Third Army Area Commander Lt.Gen.Jiradet Kacharat (จิรเดช คชรัตน์) says no suspicious political movement has been reported in the Northern region and expresses his concern that rumors of violence and chaos will upset the public.

The commander says he has instructed provincial security units to monitor the situation in the region closely although the army has yet ascertained that former members of the parliaments have arranged activities to undermine the government.

As for seven ex-MPs of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai Party traveling to Bangkok together, Lt.Gen.Jiradet says it is their right to go to anywhere freely. Things which should be concerned right now are rumors of violence. He says it is necessary for community leaders to inform accurate and true information about the country’s situation to local people.

Asked whether the 3rd Army Area Command has a plan to deploy special security forces, Lt.Gen.Jiradet says all forces under the 3rd army always on standby and he has no plan to use any special force. However, the commander will call a meeting today (June, 14th) to deliver security policies to the governor and chiefs of government units of Lumphun Province where the army was informed that demonstrations might take place.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 June 2007

Bribery case of party's dissolution case forwarded to NCCC

Justice Permanent Secretary Charan Pakdeethanakul (จรัญ ภักดีธนากุล) has forwarded the bribery case to the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) for investigation.

Two government officers have allegedly bribed the Constitutional Tribunal into assessing the case of TRT party dissolution. The Constitutional Tribunal was quoted to refuse the bribe offer, therefore Mr. Charan wants to use this case as an example for other bribery cases.

According to NCCC Committee Klanarong Chantik (กล้านรงค์ จันทิก), he says he will propose the case to the NCCC meeting for consideration.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 June 2007

Look at the position Venezuala is in. An elected president has just band the most popular television network in the country. So much for that democracy. All democracies are not created equal.

He closed the station after Globovision encouraged an attempt on Chavez's life. There are few country leaders that would let that go on and Chavez is no different. Relating that to Thailand during the coup thee military had armed guards posted in all media outlets instantly to make sure that did not happen to them and more recently the military closed radio stations because they got a call from the ex-PM. The difference is Chavez was elected and the military was not.

Another confused appologist.

No, he didn't close Globovision. Yet. He closed the 53 year old RCTV. Now he treatens to close Globovision too.

You see, any channel that isn't celebrating his madness is a bad one and a 'threat to sociaty'.

In a national address shown by all TV stations, Mr Chavez defended his decision to close RCTV as a public service, denouncing the 53-year-old station - Venezuela's most popular - as a "permanent attack on public morals".

Warms your heart doesn't it?

A top Justice Ministry official said yesterday he had a letter with signatures of people who offered bribes to judges to acquit Thai Rak Thai in the electoral fraud case last month.

Permanent secretary Charan Phakdithanakul dropped the bombshell bribery allegation on Monday that a senior official tried to secure a not guilty verdict for the Thai Rak Thai Party by offering money to the judges.

He said two judges were offered the kickbacks to fix the verdict not to dissolve Thai Rak Thai but they refused to accept the bribes.

Charan refused to say if the two judges were from the Constitution Tribunal, Supreme or Administrative courts.

"My proof is solid because it is not just a statement but a hand-written letter. I want to show the letter but I have yet to ask for permission from the owners," Charan said.

He said the letter did not indicate a clear amount of money but it was written by hand and endorsed with signatures and a date.

Charan said bribery was a crime and the people who were offered kickbacks were the damaged party and could take legal action against the people who tried to bribe them.

Tribunal judge Thanis Kesawapirak said on Monday he was unaware of any bribery attempt.

"The judge who said he knew knowing about the bribery has nothing to do with it or wasn't involved in the matter," Charan said.

Thanis voiced scepticism that any of the nine tribunal judges were offered kickbacks. He urged authorities to get to the bottom of the allegation in order to clear up any doubts about the judicial system.

Judicial Office deputy secretary-general Sarawut Benjathikul said offenders could be jailed for up to seven years and fined up to Bt14,000 for offering bribes.

- The Nation

When people try to bribe a judge in a case as sensitive, high profile and carefully scrutinized as this- is it normal that they provide not only their name, but their (legal) signature?

- The Nation

When people try to bribe a judge in a case as sensitive, high profile and carefully scrutinized as this- is it normal that they provide not only their name, but their (legal) signature?

TRT supporters are going to feel disappointed again when the name of the person who offered bribes is revealed.They will cry 'this ain't justice!'-cryptic clue enclosed.

Now let me get this straight, there is a dated, signed, and notarized note about something that is 100% illegal in nearly every country around the world. Yet for the past year the Thai government has been sifting through layers of camouflage and diversions leading to dead ends to find the paper trails of corruption.

I am beginning to wonder mind you as far fetched as it may be that perhaps, kinda, sort of, accidently on purpose this document was created for other reasons than face value.

- The Nation

TRT supporters are going to feel disappointed again when the name of the person who offered bribes is revealed.They will cry 'this ain't justice!'-cryptic clue enclosed.

Ah but we must remember the Thaksinistas dont ever do anything wrong ever. We know because they said so. They cry produce the evidence until you show evidence you cannot say this. Then when evidence is produced they cry it is all faked up. Then when evidence is produced that is irrefutable as in the dissolution case they scream the punishment is not right. Still unless Mr. Thaksin can now fund a complete revolution where the entire system of Thailand is overthrown and destroyed there are so many cases against him with it seems increasing amounts of evidence that he i going to be occupied for years in court cases. Thn again maybe the billion dollars that he seems to have left is enough to finance the PTV boot boys and their assorted allies and well paid crowd members into going on a complete violent rampage on Saturday in order to destroy anything that Mr. Thaksin does not like.

There are intellectual and practical alternatives to supporting Thaksin's return or supporting an inept illegal right-wing military junta. It's not either, or. May the CNS wither immediately if not sooner!

I agree there are intellectual alternatives. The problem is at the moment there are not practical ones. It is all lined up as either/or. Even the small groups of third way people have either stayed home or joined the PTV pro-T rallies.

Let's see what Thaksin has to say and how he says it now that he's banned from politics. ICT will not block his broadcast via teleconference at Sanam Luang, a great opportunity to let him and his big mouth betray him as usual. How he loves these spy novel "murder attempts" on his person... he will surely whine about his life being in danger upon his return. Funny enough that people were murdered and disappeared under his rule.

Will he bother to ask his supporters to avoid violence at all cost or will he conveniently circumvent the subject?

Edited by Tony Clifton

Still it's a mystery - why would they send a note in the first place?

Maybe they are dumb than dog poo.. but it does not make any sense to leave a paper trail.

Everyone has taken it for granted that it was setup by the TRT for an acquittal, it may have been set up by someone seeking a guilty verdict. No one has actually said.