Online learning opens up huge can of worms as parents get direct line into out of date Thai Education System

webfact

28 minutes ago, JoePai said:

I was very upset when I only got 16 out of 20 questions right in my nephews test*

*note to self - must do better !!

Or did you only get 16 out of 20 questions correct as in the nominated "correct" answers.

I recall being angry at some of the totally incorrect answers provided for post reference on homework.

That and questioning why was a cheat sheet provided at all?

• Like 2

Maybe Thais will start realising that The Thai education system is very weak and sub par. Whether they pay for a local education or an international one.

Most Thais mathematics are bordering very weak. Mental mathematics are extremely poor.

Languages outside of Thai are also very limited. Critical thinking and inquiry based learning are very poor in Thailand. This is not Thai bashing at all. I could provide a multitude of data to support my hypothesis.

I want Thailand to be at the forefront of educational research and innovation.   When I get back I will be pushing this. It is the politics and administration that have continually prevented this. They always have and sadly the masses have done very little to change it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I  think theyve  succeeded  very well

If all the Kids were Educated well, where would all the people come from to man the sweat shop production lines

There are only so many Migrants that can be hired, and not all the Educated Thai Youngsters will make it to Supervisor Level even.

My seven year old daughter goes to a private Thai school and the online learning is pitiful. After ten minutes of a thirty minute lesson they're ready to start then it's read a few words and colour in the pictures. That happens in almost every lesson, the only thing good about online learning is it keeps her in touch with the teachers and her friends. The best thing is we get a twenty percent discount for three half hour lessons five days a week, my daughters been to school eight days this term, I think that should justify a lot more than twenty percent.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

one area of the curriculum that even exhibits gender bias. 

Anyone stayed awake during the Driving Licence video - an arrogant Thai male patronises a female learner. (He then consumes lots of beer and drives off killing a couple of motor cyclists.)  The last bit was a joke.

15 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I want Thailand to be at the forefront of educational research and innovation.   When I get back I will be pushing this.

How would you advance that agenda? I think education reform is needed and a very noble goal, but it's such a monumental task.

I'm not even sure the government would know how to go about it if they ever really wanted to - plenty of Western systems have already failed at overhauling education for the modern world.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoePai said:

I was very upset when I only got 16 out of 20 questions right in my nephews test*

*note to self - must do better !!

But were the questions coherent and was the correct answer "correct"? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand does in fact give a good budget for education but unfortunately it is not filtered down for purpose and instead lines the pockets of the officials and all others involved.

The standard monthly salary for Western English teachers in the govt schools has been around 30k baht. This actually starts at the top as 60k baht. From there down to the teachers, many hands come out. The employment agency, the school director, the heads of dept in the school. Their primary concern in getting teachers hired is getting this cut, not educating the kids. It's why you get guys showing up hungover to play Hangman. It's why you get retired farangs wanting to do volunteer work shooed away. Fortunately they seem to have recognized the need to attract better teachers, and thus with qualifications, up to 45k can now be negotiated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1