Moved to Buriram. What now?

konaboy

18 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Clearly you haven't been there recently as they've nearly all gone home to Isaan.

My sources suggest that a few have started to return.

In any event, there were many who wouldn't go anywhere near a rice field or rubber tree plantation.

• Haha 1

there are a couple of ponds or retention basins ? i'm not exactly sure.  but they do show up on google maps.  and there are paths around them so you can take a walk.  this is eastern side of the city i believe.  i've walked around them a few times.  not bothered by any soi dogs and such.  and plenty of thais on the paths doing their thing.  there is a restaurant right next to one of these ponds, it has had different owners over the years.  not sure what it is now.  but it isn't a bad spot to sit down and have a beer and watch the people go by on the paths.  maybe the menu looks good and get food also.

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2021 at 8:13 AM, Jip99 said:

Nookie delivers to Buriram every fortnight, the Buriram Pie Man's pies (and especially the steak & kidney puddings) are worth a try.

Friends speak highly of The Swan; good breakfasts/Sunday lunch at Jimmy's and a good craic at Lakeside bar. I am not up to date with Paddy's bar but my want to give that a try as well.

I won't mention what Nookie means where I come from. :ohmy:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I won't mention what Nookie means where I come from. :ohmy:

I think we all know that ????

Although Nookiebear is the full title (because he is a grizzly old sod).... I am told that your understanding of the word is also applicable.

• Haha 2

the above is an excellent list.  i've wanted to try several of them (london steak, swan sports, paddy's, osteria) but haven't quite made it.   and quite a few i've never heard of but sound good/great.  i will make a better effort in the coming months.  i feel hungry already !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Is he still in Business?

He was up to last Sunday when I had a beer at his place.

31 minutes ago, konaboy said:

I got a reply a few days ago

He has a contact phone number

Ring 0861548037 (English) or 0871373867 (Thai) Look up his web site. http://www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear OP, 

Nice ! Well done. im thinking of moving further east, im in Khao Yai. My Brother in law lives there. Best thing is the bike racing, i go to them all. Was there when #MM93 done the 8th title Black Ball Shot. He is yet to get back there in Moto GP, but i think he might. 

So.. i don't get out much when there. But i am subscribed to the naked guru you tube channel. Ryan a younger English man . Watch some of his Videos. 

Depending how deep your pockets are, he has a membership level which will give you some insights and you can even go one on one with him,  Its always good to get another point of view.  But take anything out of the above comments that will  help you. Its pretty hard to be more specific as you don't mention if you have a house there or other details. All in all, mate, you have moved to the bush. Wear something Red and learn the Carabow finger salute. lol, If you do get a place there, get some farm land and go for it. heaps of passive income if you choose wisely. We have 10 dairy cows that make good money. Most of all, relax and acclimatize to the slow lane. If you dont like the slow lane then im afraid you may need to more out of Buriram, Cheers Pal, all the very best .  

21 hours ago, konaboy said:

Bakabas- We are building a house now. Nothing big. Any idea what the GENERAL cost per rai is here in the Bush? Dairy cows seems like a lot of effort, unless you got workers. 

Glad to be here.

It depends on whether the sellers knows that a 'westerner' is involved 

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

It depends on whether the sellers knows that a 'westerner' is involved 

It also depends on whether the westerner has the balls to go and negotiate a deal himself and not hide behind the sofa hoping his wife will do it.

It still makes me laugh when I see an expats asking his wife to translate everything. In restaurants, markets, supermarkets, immigration, etc. Especially those who have been here for donkey's years.

Pick up some Thai, grow a pair and get out there and do things yourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

It also depends on whether the westerner has the balls to go and negotiate a deal himself and not hide behind the sofa hoping his wife will do it.

It still makes me laugh when I see an expats asking his wife to translate everything. In restaurants, markets, supermarkets, immigration, etc. Especially those who have been here for donkey's years.

Pick up some Thai, grow a pair and get out there and do things yourselves.

Yep. All too typical.

And quite pathetic, actually.